How to fix jammed garbage disposal

Boot tray is a great idea. I'll go look for one!

Waterproofing spray sounds interesting. I'll see if Lowes has it.

Thanks for the ideas.

For now I googled how to remove the garbage disposal. Easy enough. But re-piping it to the sink isn't. My place came with the disposal so I don't have the pipes. I don't have the tools necessary to do all this and I would have to buy pipes to replace the garbage disposal. I can buy another garbage disposal in and replace it. Probably easiest way than re-piping it without the disposal I think.

we can help you better if you take a pix of it

DbzwJzW.jpg

Nice thing is that it is not hardwired.

On the right is the hookup to the dishwasher I believe.

If you buy the same brand you should be able to just twist off the old one and then just twist on the new one if you don't want to change out the fitting on the sink. It's pretty easy to do. The discharge hose sure has a lot of fittings on it. I prefer a solid hose run from the disposal to what should be the air gap and not direct to the dishwasher. It's less likely to leak but it's not a big deal if you don't want to change that out.

...and then install a Chevy 350 small block under the kitchen bench and run it off then, not the mains AC....

If you buy the same brand you should be able to just twist off the old one and then just twist on the new one if you don't want to change out the fitting on the sink. It's pretty easy to do. The discharge hose sure has a lot of fittings on it. I prefer a solid hose run from the disposal to what should be the air gap and not direct to the dishwasher. It's less likely to leak but it's not a big deal if you don't want to change that out.

Yes good idea. I thought of that too. Thanks!

Boot tray is a great idea. I'll go look for one!

Waterproofing spray sounds interesting. I'll see if Lowes has it.

Thanks for the ideas.

For now I googled how to remove the garbage disposal. Easy enough. But re-piping it to the sink isn't. My place came with the disposal so I don't have the pipes. I don't have the tools necessary to do all this and I would have to buy pipes to replace the garbage disposal. I can buy another garbage disposal in and replace it. Probably easiest way than re-piping it without the disposal I think.

A big cookie sheet would work till you find a boot tray. I been looking for a boot tray and could not find one so I am using a cookies sheet to put my boots on.

A big cookie sheet would work till you find a boot tray. I been looking for a boot tray and could not find one so I am using a cookies sheet to put my boots on.

That's true. That'll work too. Right now I'm using an old baking pan. It's not dripping or anything but just in case. I'm using the other side of the sink for now.

I like keeping things new as long as possible so it really was hard seeing "flood" down there. I wiped quickly but I think it had been sitting there for a day. Wood looks ok. Not damaged which I'm relieved.

Not crazy about getting a new disposal for it to happen again in 5+ years. Was considering going without but I can't do the plumbing part in order not to have one so I need to do the best option that's for me because I do not know anyone that can help me do this, literally.

the problem with cookie sheet is that it's not tall enough. it's like barely half inches tall. the boot tray is 1" high or some. I would go with a small bucket - like the one where we keep a bathroom cleaning stuff in it.

I don't have this one but it's similar and smaller

003.JPG

DbzwJzW.jpg

On the right is the hookup to the dishwasher I believe.

The black flex pipe entering the top of the disposal is the dishwasher drainpipe, and it is secured at a high point.

The little valve on the lower left is the dishwasher hookup. Notice the short upright copper tube? That is a water hammer arrestor, be glad you have one. Only issue I see is that the vent for the drainpipe is too low, needs to be as high as possible. If you haven't had any leaks, no biggie.

We ditched the sink disposal, as I have a 42 year old house with cast iron drainpipes under the slab, and got tired of clogs & disposals seizing. Haven't looked back since.

Funny thing is, my neighbor came over and said that she has water running down her window every time she turns the disposer on. I went over and said "show me", then I pissed my pants laughing so hard. Her drainpipe was so clogged, every time she ran the disposal, it was forcing all the water up and out of the vent pipe on the roof, making it run down her window....

Last edited:
Thanks for the description & explanation of what they are. I haven't had any leaks so I guess it isn't an issue of it being too low. Whole thing was installed in 2006.

I truly would like to ditch the disposal altogether since I don't use it that much. I'm guessing this one pictured is 1/3 hp because it was built when the builder built this subdivision. Builders usually pick the cheapest stuff that don't last long. 1/3 - 1/2 hp is enough for me if I'm to get a replacement.

That's hilarious about your neighbor! I'd like to see this! :D

I have personally replaced many disposals for friends as well as mine over the years. Posts are correct using the wrench and/or reset button. Once they leak, replace.

A new unit is needed. Not more than 1/2 horsepower motor.

What puzzles me is a vent pipe. Have never seen one before. Don't know why it would be needed under the sink. The pipe behind the wall should be vented outside, usually to the roof. I would be worried about sewage gas. Just saying.

Almost forgot, I see in the picture a wall receptacle. If it is not being used, plug the openings with child plug protectors. If you get a water line leak and it sprays into it, you will only trip a breaker (hopefully). If a lot of water gets in there, you may have a long wait to get the power back on (it might affect many different switches/receptacles).

I've been looking at quite a bit of how-to videos on garbage disposals/disposers and I haven't seen a video showing a vent pipe under there. I thought it was odd but what do I know? It doesn't smell bad at all. There's no odor.

Good idea about plugging the outlet under there.

I've been looking at quite a bit of how-to videos on garbage disposals/disposers and I haven't seen a video showing a vent pipe under there. I thought it was odd but what do I know? It doesn't smell bad at all. There's no odor.

Good idea about plugging the outlet under there.

Now that I got some sleep, I woke up and realized that I said the wrong stuff to you, went back and corrected what I said.

On all disposals, the top connector is for dishwasher hookups, the second lower hole is for the drainpipe. If you remove the disposal, you can get a $4 'Y' pipe and put it in place of the disposal....I can take a pic of my setup if you want. You might have to do some cutting and/or replacing of the pipes.

As for that vent....I suspect that the building inspector might have ordered the plumber to put it in....possibly because the venting behind the wall was done incorrectly. A lot cheaper to put one of those vents in there than ripping walls apart. That vent has a check valve in it....only allows air to be sucked in, and not leak out.

Then again, I could be wrong....it might be a code in your area.

As for that outlet under the sink, if it was put in back in 2006, it is most likely connected to the GFCI receptacle you have above your sink, so it would already be safe. You can test it by pushing the test button on the GFCI and turn the disposal on, if it doesn't come on, great.

Now that I got some sleep, I woke up and realized that I said the wrong stuff to you, went back and corrected what I said.

On all disposals, the top connector is for dishwasher hookups, the second lower hole is for the drainpipe. If you remove the disposal, you can get a $4 'Y' pipe and put it in place of the disposal....I can take a pic of my setup if you want. You might have to do some cutting and/or replacing of the pipes.

As for that vent....I suspect that the building inspector might have ordered the plumber to put it in....possibly because the venting behind the wall was done incorrectly. A lot cheaper to put one of those vents in there than ripping walls apart. That vent has a check valve in it....only allows air to be sucked in, and not leak out.

Then again, I could be wrong....it might be a code in your area.

As for that outlet under the sink, if it was put in back in 2006, it is most likely connected to the GFCI receptacle you have above your sink, so it would already be safe. You can test it by pushing the test button on the GFCI and turn the disposal on, if it doesn't come on, great.

I agree if it is a GFCI. I could not tell from the pic. I have a whole house GFCI and if one receptacle gets damp, I loose power in both outside, garage, kitchen and bathrooms. I have to reset the main box circuit breaker.

Yes I have GFCI receptacle above my sink and when I press it, the disposal doesn't turn on.

Thanks for the info. What's behind the wall of that is a dining room. Maybe there isn't room to put a vent.

I don't have the necessary tools to re-pipe it without disposal so I probably will just get the same brand and install it.

Last edited:
Only issue I see is that the vent for the drainpipe is too low, needs to be as high as possible.

Now I'm even more curious than I was when I first looked at the photo.

Having looked at hundreds of kitchen sink set ups, I had never seen anything like that so-called vent pipe. Of course, I've only looked at sinks in my area. It looks like venting of some sort but for the drain? Are you sure? The disposal drains through the large white pipe running to the right of the photo and should connect into the main drain system. The location of the vent pipe doesn't seem like it would be venting for the drain.

I'd love to see a photo of the rest of the under sink area to see how that vent piping connects to something!

Back