HOW TO: Connect VP200 to a Wireless Network

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
This was my first time connecting my VP200 to a wireless network at home, and I thought I'd share with you guys the steps I took to make this work. :wave:

First thing first, you're going to need a wireless router that's connected to the Internet. I'm currently using the Linksys WRT310N Wireless-N Gigabit Router that's connected to a cable modem provided by my ISP (Optimum Online). :hmm:

wrt310n.jpg

Next, I got the Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter, model WET610N. This thing basically converts any wired-Ethernet device (VP200 in this case) to wireless connectivity. :naughty:

wet610n.jpg

Now, before I hooked up anything, I installed the software that came with the gaming/video adapter (WET610N) on my laptop that's already connected to the wireless router (WRT310N) wirelessly. Note: I could have done this on my main computer that's directly connected to the wireless router via an ethernet cable, but it's not necessary. :deal:

01.jpg

After a few software installation steps, it asked me to plug one end of the blue ethernet cable into the gaming/video adapter (WET610N), and the other end of the ethernet cable into an unused port on the wireless router (WRT310N0). The software then basically helped set up the adapter to go wireless, which was pretty easy. :whistle:

After the set up was complete, I unplugged the adapter's ethernet cable from the wireless router, then plugged it to my VP200 and waited for the power and ethernet lights on the adapter to be solid before use... :shock:

And then all of a sudden, my VP200 was connected to the Internet wirelessly! :rockon:

02.jpg

To make sure, I tried calling some friends directly and via VRS, and it worked. Yep, yep. :thumb:

03.jpg

That's all there is to make your VP200 work wirelessly, which only took about 10 minutes to complete. Hope someone out there finds this how-to helpful. :fingersx:

:thumb: that's the setup I had in mind because it's exactly what I did in my previous apt but not for VP. I had 3 routers plus DSL modem connected together :lol:

Thanks for the tip, Alex.

I asked the last 3 Sorenson techs if I could make it work wirelessly, all said "no".

You can get linksys WRT54G and turn it into a wireless bridge using DD-WRT firmware.

I have done it and it works.

Basically find a used Linksys wireless router a older version WRT54G and go download the DD-WRT firmware.

Once you install the firmware on linksys you need to set it up to be a wireless bridge and have it connect to another wireless router via wifi.

Other wireless router need to have port forwarded set propertly not the Linksys.

Plug ethernet cable into Linksys and into VP200 and start calling

I did this years ago with an old linksys wifi router with D-WRT. It worked, but was not reliable. Maybe this WET 610N is better for this now. I may try this.

Alex, welcome to 8 months ago. Lol yeah I'm pretty sure I created a thread to share with everyone. Good job alex!!!

Thanks for the tip, Alex.

I asked the last 3 Sorenson techs if I could make it work wirelessly, all said "no".

They are fucking idiots. I was a Sorenson installer for last two years. Yes, VP 200 can work with any wireless routers.

They are fucking idiots. I was a Sorenson installer for last two years. Yes, VP 200 can work with any wireless routers.

Its not the same connecting VP directly to a router that is capable of wireless signals. Just remember, anything can be done wirelessly, but with vp200 high demand of the bandwidth, if the picture is fuzzy, don't complain to sorenson techs. if the picture is clear for awhile and then someday it becomes fuzzy, dont complain to techs. what they are gonna do is remove all wireless componants and connect directly. if it clears up, case closed. they do NOT support wireless capabilty to vp. it kinda sucks, I know it works wirlessly but its just not dependable. what if someone walks by in a silver jacket ? singal is gonna bounce and either poor video or lost connection.

highlander- if you been telling your customers it will work wirelessly, then y
you were not supporting sorenson ideals.

techbill is right about third party firmware, but due to lack of understanding with many deafies, they just wont try it or do it, hence reason why sorenson just dont bother try to support linksys. I dont think all of linksys is bad. there was a few that was flaky that caused a high number of support calls related to linksys, hence the reason why linksys was not being supported for awhile.

Its too bad that sorenson is slow in adopting new standards and get up to speed with current technolgy. doesnt matter if they have something wonderful in the works, they are just slow to adopt and spread out.

Its not the same connecting VP directly to a router that is capable of wireless signals. Just remember, anything can be done wirelessly, but with vp200 high demand of the bandwidth, if the picture is fuzzy, don't complain to sorenson techs. if the picture is clear for awhile and then someday it becomes fuzzy, dont complain to techs. what they are gonna do is remove all wireless componants and connect directly. if it clears up, case closed. they do NOT support wireless capabilty to vp. it kinda sucks, I know it works wirlessly but its just not dependable. what if someone walks by in a silver jacket ? singal is gonna bounce and either poor video or lost connection.

Some customer's modem are at 1st/2nd floor and VP200 is at basement or far away from other room. I don't think they will happy to see network cable around a house that made it looks mess and not safely for their pets or walk over it.

I already explained that we won't promise for 100% clear but no fuzzy so if you use Wifi N for WET610N and almost most routers with N WIFI. Again, my friend use vp over wifi and no complain so far for over year already. Her VP is at her basement and router N is at her roommate's office at 1st foor. Again, I tried to made Sorenson looks good that it's work great thru WIFI since they complained why P3, MVP, ZVRS,etc already have wireless which soresnon dont have one yet.

They still thinking WIFI G is same as WIFI N for fuzzy,lag, etc which it was not true. Again, it's customer choose. What's if they were selfish and don't want to see a wires allow around their house and I have to respect their choose.

techbill is right about third party firmware, but due to lack of understanding with many deafies, they just wont try it or do it, hence reason why sorenson just dont bother try to support linksys. I dont think all of linksys is bad. there was a few that was flaky that caused a high number of support calls related to linksys, hence the reason why linksys was not being supported for awhile.

Real reason, we don't want to install/upgrade any firmwares and can't afford to destroy customer's router if bad firmware or upload failed.

Its too bad that sorenson is slow in adopting new standards and get up to speed with current technolgy. doesnt matter if they have something wonderful in the works, they are just slow to adopt and spread out.

Sorenson puts a wireless device on hold because ZVRS, MVP, P3, etc tend to get fuzzy or freeze over wifi (when they were just new devices to the public about three years ago).

I recalled that a Sorenson manager from other state simply said, "wireless is not mature yet." Once, USA has full of wireless range, then Sorenson will produce a wireless device. When? Time will tell. That's all I know so far.

Sorenson puts a wireless device on hold because ZVRS, MVP, P3, etc tend to get fuzzy or freeze over wifi (when they were just new devices to the public about three years ago).

I recalled that a Sorenson manager from other state simply said, "wireless is not mature yet." Once, USA has full of wireless range, then Sorenson will produce a wireless device. When? Time will tell. That's all I know so far.

Come on! Most laptops, mobiles, video games, newer GM vehicles already have wireless.

We went to Europe and they have WIFI with key almost anywhere in 2003. That's mean they are more than USA.

Sad, too many USA have WIFI without keys.

Yes, ZVRS, MVP P3, etc were fuzzy due WIFI G issue. Right now, Most new laptops are WIFI N and won't be problem anymore.

Agree! I love DD-WRT, I had WRT54GSv4 since 10 year age, I never buy another new

You can get linksys WRT54G and turn it into a wireless bridge using DD-WRT firmware.

I have done it and it works.

Basically find a used Linksys wireless router a older version WRT54G and go download the DD-WRT firmware.

Once you install the firmware on linksys you need to set it up to be a wireless bridge and have it connect to another wireless router via wifi.

Other wireless router need to have port forwarded set propertly not the Linksys.

Plug ethernet cable into Linksys and into VP200 and start calling

fucking idiot? you mean vp200 will work on WIRED connection using WIRELESS routers, fine

Some of you guys deserve my AD epic facepalm.

VP200 will work with wireless routers as long a wireless bridge using with the N technology is being used such as Apple Airport Express. B and G wireless is not recommended because of limitations such as streaming videos.

My Apple Airport Express works very well with my slingbox Pro HD and it can stream wireless to my wireless N router or to my Mac using with wireless N adapter. Slingbox streams continuously at about 3Mps to the Internet to my second home in Tijuana, Mexico or 12 Mps to my PC or Mac based computers inside my house. I can vouch that VP200 will work very well because of lower bandwidth way less than my slingbox pro HD demands it.

Sorenson tech guys are trained monkeys following their script on what they are supposed to tell, in order to maintain Sorenson's bottom line. Eg, overwhelming tech support calls in relation to the wireless bridges to VP200.

So anyone of you are technical enough to do so, you can do it. otherwise, don't call sorenson for their help. They wont help you

Sorenson tech guys are trained monkeys following their script on what they are supposed to tell, in order to maintain Sorenson's bottom line. Eg, overwhelming tech support calls in relation to the wireless bridges to VP200.
:applause: VERY GOOD!!!!!
:deal: and yup- they signed thier souls over to headquarters in exchange for salary.

So anyone of you are technical enough to do so, you can do it. otherwise, don't call sorenson for their help. They wont help you
This is what I been saying all along. Until Soreson wise up and start passing out wireless capabilties to everyone they are just not gonna embrace the new technology thier customers want.

Back