How to address a coworker faking her hearing loss

Thank you all for the insightful perspective. I will keep doing what I gotta do and figure out what I really want to do.

. . . Apparently anyone can say theyre deaf and we cant question it....
That may be the bottom line. It seems in today's society we can't question anyone's status in life. No questioning about ethnicity, disabilities, sexual identity, culture, religion, national origin, etc. We pretty much have to accept whatever people claim to be, or self identify as. (I don't agree with this but that's the way it is.) If a sighted Irish-descent white woman wants to identify as a blind Native American black man . . . well, that's that.

It seems like your work situation problems are more than just this one woman, so it might be time to move on to greener pastures.

That may be the bottom line. It seems in today's society we can't question anyone's status in life. No questioning about ethnicity, disabilities, sexual identity, culture, religion, national origin, etc. We pretty much have to accept whatever people claim to be, or self identify as. (I don't agree with this but that's the way it is.) If a sighted Irish-descent white woman wants to identify as a blind Native American black man . . . well, that's that.

It seems like your work situation problems are more than just this one woman, so it might be time to move on to greener pastures.
It seems like your work situation problems are more than just this one woman, so it might be time to move on to greener pastures.[/QUOTE]
There is no needs to know a person religion , sexual identity or any of the things you listed to get a job ! And that is rather far fetched about the Irish woman saying they're a blind Native American Black man . The way things are going today I am really don't it's really safe to even say I am Jewish ! I already had some crazy lady telling me it
all the Jews fault the way the way world is today !

There is no needs to know a person religion, sexual identity or any of the things you listed to get a job ! And that is rather far fetched about the Irish woman saying they're a blind Native American Black man. The way things are going today I am really don't it's really safe to even say I am Jewish! I already had some crazy lady telling me it
all the Jews fault the way the way world is today!
You missed my point. The point is, no matter how outrageous it seems, no one can question anything about anyone in the work place. That's why I used an outrageous example. It wasn't about getting a job. It was about how people self identify regardless of reality. It does happen.

I'm sorry that you had the experience with the crazy lady but that isn't how most people in America think about Jews. It has nothing to do with the job situation of this thread.

Yep agree @Reba

Nothing I can do at this point but go elsewhere. a lot of us left its time for me to just follow others out of the door for a new Adventure like the staff that left already. Just hope I figure it out sooner than later. Changes does not come easy for me for sure

Yep agree @Reba

Nothing I can do at this point but go elsewhere. a lot of us left its time for me to just follow others out of the door for a new Adventure like the staff that left already. Just hope I figure it out sooner than later. Changes does not come easy for me for sure

I wish you luck and hope that you do find something sooner than later. I know change is hard but change can be good especially if it improves your work environment and ultimately your health (mental mostly).

Changes doesn't come easy for a lot of people . You try dropping a heavy book behind her and she how to react.

Changes doesn't come easy for a lot of people . You try dropping a heavy book behind her and she how to react.
A heavy book would cause a vibration that could make her react, so I don't think that is a good way to test her hearing.

Maybe talk about something of interest to her behind her back or around the corner or such at a volume that a "normal" hearing person could here it.

Just setting yourself up to get yourself fired and she's helping you.
Take any legit complaint to the manager/boss/HR and let them deal with it. Drink your coffee and stay away from the water fountain.

It sounds to me like the OP is investing too much into this and should just move on. There's always jerks in the office - and there's no getting away from that. I learned the hard way not to project myself into the situation. It just causes more frustration than it's worth so leaving for greener pastures is the way to go....

Laura

It sounds to me like the OP is investing too much into this and should just move on. There's always jerks in the office - and there's no getting away from that. I learned the hard way not to project myself into the situation. It just causes more frustration than it's worth so leaving for greener pastures is the way to go....

Laura

Maybe but sometimes some people CAN'T just up and leave for 'greener pastures' so they need to find a way to deal with the toxic environment and toxic person.

I hate it when people say to me.. 'well just move to another state!'... No.... I have little money and most places are expensive as poo. Right now I'd almost rather get a job here, build up my funds then consider moving. My dream state is WA but damn the housing/apartments there are insanely expensive...as bad as SF.

Point is... if the employee has a family with children maybe... it's hard to uproot- especially if there are no other jobs to be found in the location their toxic job is in.

I think they ought to at least give it "the college try" to resolve the situation somehow... why should one person have to leave because of some other idiot?

Meh. Only the OP knows the whole situation on a daily basis and their options. We're just doing armchair Psychology for the most part.

Maybe but sometimes some people CAN'T just up and leave for 'greener pastures' so they need to find a way to deal with the toxic environment and toxic person.

I hate it when people say to me.. 'well just move to another state!'... No.... I have little money and most places are expensive as poo. Right now I'd almost rather get a job here, build up my funds then consider moving. My dream state is WA but damn the housing/apartments there are insanely expensive...as bad as SF.

Point is... if the employee has a family with children maybe... it's hard to uproot- especially if there are no other jobs to be found in the location their toxic job is in.

I think they ought to at least give it "the college try" to resolve the situation somehow... why should one person have to leave because of some other idiot?

Meh. Only the OP knows the whole situation on a daily basis and their options. We're just doing armchair Psychology for the most part.

I worked five years in a toxic environment with an a*** of a boss and jerk for a coworker. The whole office was toxic, and as a social worker told me, it was toxic when I got there and it'll remain toxic when I left. She was right. Ultimately, who gives a damn if this coworker of the OP is faking her deafness....It doesn't personally affect her. I worked my tail off for five years to get out to a better job. It doesn't happen overnight, it's hard work and a lot of disappointments and setbacks, but you have to decide if you want to remain stuck with jerks or keep moving forward to get to a better place....

I prefer to keep my own counsel and look to get out....

You means Seattle? Yeah, that's true.

but you can afford to live in Spokane, but not popular as Seattle.

You means Seattle? Yeah, that's true.

but you can afford to live in Spokane, but not popular as Seattle.

Seattle yes.. not sure on Spokane- will have to ask friend on that. Spokane is the eastern part of WA. Olympia and Tacoma aren't too bad but not as nice as Seattle. I'd rather find somewhere that has public transportation.. if I could...

Seattle yes.. not sure on Spokane- will have to ask friend on that. Spokane is the eastern part of WA. Olympia and Tacoma aren't too bad but not as nice as Seattle. I'd rather find somewhere that has public transportation.. if I could...
Portland OR

Portland is crazy expensive. don't get me wrong oregon is also a great state to live in but not portland. apt there for a studio are in the thousands :(
I was suggesting it for the public transportation. I may be going there next Oct with my train friends...to ride trains.

Yea really good public transportation but horrible living cost, that part is for ducky. but I heard the trains in portland are great. I have only be on the max up there a few time.

Back