How old before child goes to overnight camp?

rivenoak

Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a Lions camp that offers a week for d/hh kids each summer. They can start at age 7.

That seems so young to me. I might have been 8 or 9 before I went to sleepaway camp.

How old were you personally or your child when starting overnight camp?

We are going to try to do a family weekend at the end of Sept at this camp. DH cannot make it, so will just be DS and I.

My son seb was 8 the first time he went to a sleepover camp. He only went for 2 weeks or less than that (it was more like 12 days) and he loved it so much that he couldn't stop talking about it for months afterwards. I was worried he would be homesick but turns out all my worries were for naught :) If the camp has a good reputation and there's excellent feedback on the camp, chances are your kid will do well there.

It really depend on the child , my granddaughter has playmate the same age as her but she was not ready learn how to swim at the same time. Every child is difference .

I was 6 for my first sleep away camp. It was with the kids from church and was a 2 week Christian summer camp.

I think seven is old enough for overnight camp. My thinking. If a kid is old enough to sleep over a friend's house, they are old enough for overnight camp.
And good on you for looking into Deaf camp! That can be an awesome social emotional oppertunity! And you know, he'll meet other kids like him....he may get interested in ASL a bit more when he sees kids like him using it, and who knows? He'll prolly meet kids who go to deaf schools, and maybe you guys can find out more about the possibilty of deaf school/regional programs etc.

If kids can handle sleepovers, then they will likely handle camping. :)

If kids can handle sleepovers, then they will likely handle camping. :)

A sleepover is most likely 1-2 nights. Camp is a lot longer than that. I would not send a child that really does not want to go camp! I did not force my child to do a sport if she didn't want to. My mother forced me to be a brownie and I
HATED it like HELL the whole time!!

There is a Lions camp that offers a week for d/hh kids each summer. They can start at age 7.

That seems so young to me. I might have been 8 or 9 before I went to sleepaway camp.

How old were you personally or your child when starting overnight camp?

We are going to try to do a family weekend at the end of Sept at this camp. DH cannot make it, so will just be DS and I.

My son is 7, and we are wrestling with the same problem. The one thing they did say to me was that I could volunteer- that way my son wouldn't be entirely alone and I could be there just in case.

Maybe his first year you could "volunteer" so that way he gets the experience of it, but you wouldn't be too far.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It depends on the child. Seems like boys are ready later than girls. Boys go to sleepovers around 8-9 years old. It's important to listen to the kid and follow his lead.

A sleepover is most likely 1-2 nights. Camp is a lot longer than that. I would not send a child that really does not want to go camp! I did not force my child to do a sport if she didn't want to. My mother forced me to be a brownie and I

I felt the same about the Girl Scouts!

True, but this is DEAF camp. Meaning it will be a lot of fun, and strongly benifit a hoh solotaire. And it's not like they're sending a preschooler or something.

I remember when I was about 9 years old when I went to a hippie camp but I didn't go alone. My dad's good friend Sky went with me for a few days until I went on my own. It was fun! I also went to Lions camp (deaf camp) when I was 12 years old in California.

And I know parents worry...........and kids can have a hard time adjusting for a couple of days....But I also think that camp (and res school) can be an AMAZING experiance. One of the best parts about being away from parents for kids with disabilties, is that it encourages independance. A lot of kids with disabilties (of all flavors) can be overly sheltered by their parents.

I was 8 when I first went to deaf camp. Those were 2 weeks long. Loved every bit of it !!!!! When I was 12 went to the older-aged deaf camp which was 3 weeks instead of two. Deaf camp was a huge highlight of my childhood. Went 6 years altogether.

I remember long time I know I see on camp deaf christian I was 14 yrs I think so long time!

Back