How often do you all get your hearing tested?

I do not like the way hearing tests are given now. You have to listen to a recording for the voice discrimination test and I have trouble understanding
robotic sounding voices . My audi had to give me that part of the test over using his own voice .

I do not like the way hearing tests are given now. You have to listen to a recording for the voice discrimination test and I have trouble understanding
robotic sounding voices . My audi had to give me that part of the test over using his own voice .

They have found that the recorded voice is more reliable than the one spoken by the audi.

I have never had to pay for a hearing test. I think my Audi does them as a CODB (cost of doing business) because it results in new molds, HAs, etc. which brings them money anyway.

Whenever asked about getting an audiogram by an ENT, I said no, it's not worth it most of the time. So, I may have had one every five or more years. I know what my hearing was and what's the sense in going.

I don't like having my hearing tested so often either. I have to test often in order to monitor if my hearing is stable or not due to my chronic ETD problems. My Audiologist just switched recently to the recordings, I scored slightly higher in voice recognition with it. The recording didn't sound digital to me, it was just annoying hearing "say the word....." before every word I'm supposed to repeat.

Under the NHS, children up to 18 get 6-12 monthly checks, adults whenever the NHS wants! LOL

They have found that the recorded voice is more reliable than the one spoken by the audi.

Who is 'they'?? This was not true with me, I could not understand the
robotic sounding voice , I miss most of the words that way and had to take the test over. Whoever 'they' is they did not take inconsideration no tow people have the same hearing loss. I wonder how many people were used in the study and how much hearing lost they had .

I loathe the tests done with an implant. When I had to go in for a remapping, then the discrimination and other tests, I called it going into a torture chamber. I erred the first time and had my partner come in for part of it and the sound level drove her nuts and she got out of the room politely but as quickly as she could. She hears. I don't. I goofed. Lesson learned.

I also messed around with the testing because I thought the testing and results were really flawed. I also couldn't get a straight answer as to how the testing worked. I had the baseline and other mappings and then, since I couldn't tell which sound was louder than the other two, I hit the same number for the entire test and did well per the audiologist. There was something about the testing that made absolutely no sense. It wasn't scientific and it gave me a somewhat valid reason to conclude there's something wrong with how they're testing. That's not true for non-CI audiograms. Was what I did a fluke? No. The program or at least the audiology department at the hospital is really good and has an established and good reputation.

I think all this goes back to an earlier thread. Now, I'm posing it as a question. We know the psychological testing varies depending on where you go. Are the tests for an implant all the same or do they vary, too?

I've never gotten my hearing tested often as an adult. Only when it was either time to get a new hearing aid, when I entered graduate school and needed a specific accommodation, or CI evaluation time (I requested a flashing strobe light for my room, only to find out that those didn't really do the job- the university wanted something from the audiologist for documentation purposes). For 6 months last year before I received my CI, I was having my hearing tested very often but that was due to circumstances of having sudden bouts of hearing loss & fluctuating hearing. Getting tested any more than once every 3 years or so was not my norm. IMHO, you hear differences in the sound quality when there's a change for the worse in your hearing.

I actually had to request a sound booth test from my audiologist when I was implanted. He typically doesn't do audiograms & hearing tests on adults who he feels are performing well with the implant. He didn't do any sentence tests or word recognition beyond the spondee words, but he did test my response to various frequencies and my speech thresholds to give me an idea of where I am hearing.

I loathe the tests done with an implant. When I had to go in for a remapping, then the discrimination and other tests, I called it going into a torture chamber. I erred the first time and had my partner come in for part of it and the sound level drove her nuts and she got out of the room politely but as quickly as she could. She hears. I don't. I goofed. Lesson learned.

I also messed around with the testing because I thought the testing and results were really flawed. I also couldn't get a straight answer as to how the testing worked. I had the baseline and other mappings and then, since I couldn't tell which sound was louder than the other two, I hit the same number for the entire test and did well per the audiologist. There was something about the testing that made absolutely no sense. It wasn't scientific and it gave me a somewhat valid reason to conclude there's something wrong with how they're testing. That's not true for non-CI audiograms. Was what I did a fluke? No. The program or at least the audiology department at the hospital is really good and has an established and good reputation.

I think all this goes back to an earlier thread. Now, I'm posing it as a question. We know the psychological testing varies depending on where you go. Are the tests for an implant all the same or do they vary, too?

I went to an ENT b/c I was getting a lot of earaches and the doctor wanted me to have a hearing test and the person that gave it me was in training .
She had no idea what she was doing , I kept trying to tell her all the beeping was hurting my ear . The woman had for forgot to turn on the speaker so she could hear me. I really hate having hearing tests ago the last I it was 3 years before I had one. I lost more hearing but I already knew that b/c I was having a harder time hearing on the phone.

I don't like having my hearing tested so often either. I have to test often in order to monitor if my hearing is stable or not due to my chronic ETD problems. My Audiologist just switched recently to the recordings, I scored slightly higher in voice recognition with it. The recording didn't sound digital to me, it was just annoying hearing "say the word....." before every word I'm supposed to repeat.
Makes sense, Miaou. I'd like to say it's hard to believe an audiologist's office was so antiquated they didn't have the recorded voices but nothing is beyond belief these days. The "... say the word ..." helped prepare me for the word. In older days, I held my breath to hear it.

Makes sense, Miaou. I'd like to say it's hard to believe an audiologist's office was so antiquated they didn't have the recorded voices but nothing is beyond belief these days. The "... say the word ..." helped prepare me for the word. In older days, I held my breath to hear it.

I didn't think about that, holding your breath to hear it. For me, I was so focused to hear, that the phrase distracted me. It sure is tiring doing those tests!

Edit: It's an Airforce audiology deptartment, they tend to update slower than some..

I really hated the recorded voice during my hearing test. I am not using that again. I hate the robotic voices you hear when you made a phone call today.

I get tested only when I need a new hearing aid. Just had one in June 2014 after 5 years. No real changes!! Yay!!! Very minor but I then realized the severity of my hearingloss. I won't be going back in unless I need to.

Back