How many people here are can sign in 2 different languages?

InnocentOdion

Reaction score
As the title says, how many people here are bilingual in sign languages?

For example, anyone know ASL and BSL? Or ASL and Auslan?

I know BSL, but I know a little bit of ASL (it's so hard though, maybe because I don't use it). I'd love to be bilingual. :)

I know BSL because I born and raised in England and know German sign language because I married and live in Germany for almost 23 years.

I know ASL fluently (not 100%) and korean sign language a little.

Auslan - South African & Australian sign language are almost same as BSL (I mean part of states in South Africa & Australia who use same language as BSL).

I switch to BSL and ASL when I meet British and American friends.

I can sign ASL and NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language).

Right now I am slowly learning Auslan (not fluent in Auslan).

Am one of them.

Fluent in Auslan and ASL. Know little BSL and NSL (norwegian).

But I would love to be fluent in few more languages, whether written or sign.

Thanks to jclarke's vlogs, I have learned a small amount of Auslan, but certainly would not consider myself to be to the point of being bilingual in ASL and Auslan. Would love to learn more, though.

I know a small amount of BSL thanks to a terp who learned it from her Deaf-blind cousin in England. I wouldn't consider myself fluent in BSL.

I know both of SEE and ASL. SEE is good for English Grammar. I always use ASL mostly. My friends who don't use ASL and use SEE. I have to use SEE to communicate with them.

I don't use foreign sign languages. I have no time to learn. If I see who is coming from Foreign. I would love to learn.

I know a little in German and Italian. I used to learn Russian Sign Language. It's weird! The text is very tough!

What about SEE? :giggle:

Is that considered a language?
I agree.

Considering sign language as a language is something that's argued most.

I've seen people who say that SEE and ASL are separate languages, while some say one or the other aren't languages at all.

Think of it this way... sign language is language that is signed instead of spoken, right?

Well, if SEE is a form of sign language... then SEE should be considered a language. After all, it's something that's done separate from English. While the grammar and structure are similar, they're done separately. :)

I realized something a few days ago. You can tell if a person is speaking with an accent when they are speaking one language using the voice from another language. Well, the same applies to sign language. PSE is like signing ASL with SEE accent. ;)

I agree.

Considering sign language as a language is something that's argued most.

I've seen people who say that SEE and ASL are separate languages, while some say one or the other aren't languages at all.

Think of it this way... sign language is language that is signed instead of spoken, right?

Well, if SEE is a form of sign language... then SEE should be considered a language. After all, it's something that's done separate from English. While the grammar and structure are similar, they're done separately. :)

I realized something a few days ago. You can tell if a person is speaking with an accent when they are speaking one language using the voice from another language. Well, the same applies to sign language. PSE is like signing ASL with SEE accent. ;)

SEE follows the structure, syntax, and vocabulary of English. It is a manual mode of English. For a signed language to be considered a separate language, it must be demonstrated that it has a syntax, structure, and grammatical rules specific to that particular language. Extensive research by Stoke proved that ASL meets the criteria for a separate languge. SEE is a system devised to make the English language visual.

Being able to sign English doesn't make one bilingual any more than being able to write English makes one bilingual. It makes one bi-modal, but unilingual. However, fluency in both ASL and English (in all its forms) makes one bilingual, as English and ASL are 2 languages. But I thinkthe question addressed bilingualism in signed languages.

SEE follows the structure, syntax, and vocabulary of English. It is a manual mode of English. For a signed language to be considered a separate language, it must be demonstrated that it has a syntax, structure, and grammatical rules specific to that particular language. Extensive research by Stoke proved that ASL meets the criteria for a separate languge. SEE is a system devised to make the English language visual.

Being able to sign English doesn't make one bilingual any more than being able to write English makes one bilingual. It makes one bi-modal, but unilingual. However, fluency in both ASL and English (in all its forms) makes one bilingual, as English and ASL are 2 languages. But I thinkthe question addressed bilingualism in signed languages.
Does BSL follow the same structure as British language or does it have a whole structure of its own?

So, if BSL is the same as British spoken language... then we shouldn't consider BSL another language and only if we know British spoken language itself.

Does BSL follow the same structure as British language or does it have a whole structure of its own?

So, if BSL is the same as British spoken language... then we shouldn't consider BSL another language and only if we know British spoken language itself.

It has a structure of its own. Separate from English and separate from ASL.

So, does Britain have SEB? (Signed Exact British)

That's a good question, Vampy. But considering that their spoken language is English, SEE would work for signing their oral language. The thing that separates BSL into a separate language is that it does not have spoken form, and has a structure separate from ASL, and other signed languages. The structure amy be similar to ASL, or FLS, or any other signed langauge, but structure is still different in that it represents the communication needs of that population.

That's a good question, Vampy. But considering that their spoken language is English, SEE would work for signing their oral language. The thing that separates BSL into a separate language is that it does not have spoken form, and has a structure separate from ASL, and other signed languages. The structure amy be similar to ASL, or FLS, or any other signed langauge, but structure is still different in that it represents the communication needs of that population.

I think Vampy was asking whether there is a mode of English like SEE, but based on BSL (as SEE is based to some extent on ASL).

I think Vampy was asking whether there is a mode of English like SEE, but based on BSL (as SEE is based to some extent on ASL).

Maybe my answer wasn't as clear as it should have been. I don't know if there is a British MCE system using BSL signs. That's why I said it was a good question. But I didn't explain very clearly.

Thanks to jclarke's vlogs, I have learned a small amount of Auslan, but certainly would not consider myself to be to the point of being bilingual in ASL and Auslan. Would love to learn more, though.

I am considering to resume making vlogs in AUSLAN for ASL users and a good bonus that I can do some brief teaching on oovoo/ VP. Have to arrange time with me via PM.

Not me, I only know ASL. I don't sign in 2 different languages.

Back