How many of you went to MSSD? Model Secondary School for the Deaf?

peekaboo

Reaction score
I wanted to go to this school so bad but was told NO. I wished that I had and maybe I would have gotten a better chance learning something. I didn't learn anything in mainstream schools because I didn't feel welcome there. Most hearing people will think HOH belong in a mainstream schools because they can hear "some". What a crock!
Did any of you went to MSSD and if so, what year???

I wanted to go back in 1984 :( If I had a time machine... I would def go to MSSD and then go to Gallaudet :)

I wish I had pursued looking into MSSD further in high school. I would have KILLED to go!

I know. Unfortuantly, certain people don't seem to understand that mainstream high school isn't High School Musical.

Oh my man, I absolutely hate my old high school and their principal.

I got suspended often when I was in senior and the principal told me that if I'm depressed so he suspended me and received 0 on all assignments, so he didn't want to see me graduate until I threaten to sue the school district, so they changed everything, so I'm glad it was over.

Last edited:
I know. Unfortunately, certain people don't seem to understand that mainstream high school isn't High School Musical.
Exactly!!! I hated all of my mainstream schools I went too, even though some of them had "special ed" classes for me to go to still i got pulled out of my classes just for that. It was embarrassing to say the least.

@Foxrac ... I know the feeling. I too was sent to the principal's office more than I can count my fingers and toes. NO KIDDING!!! I just couldnt get along in jr high and high school... MAINSTREAM that is. *sighs*

Oh Lord, please be very careful when mainstreaming kids. My family moved quite often, and to show the extent of the damage done by mainstreaming, I had screaming nightmares for more than ten years after graduation.
And I'm still nuttier than a fruitcake. ;)

Oh Lord, please be very careful when mainstreaming kids. My family moved quite often, and to show the extent of the damage done by mainstreaming, I had screaming nightmares for more than ten years after graduation.
And I'm still nuttier than a fruitcake. ;)
lol!!! :rofl:

I wanted to go back in 1984 :( If I had a time machine... I would def go to MSSD and then go to Gallaudet :)

Ahhh man we might have met back then. I wanted to go back in...oh let's see... I think somewhere between 1979 and 1982 (giving away my age lol). I was told NO too even though a relative lived a block and a half from Gallaudet and it was that relative who brought info on MSSD up to PA. I got my grubby paws on it when I happened to see it..."I want to go!". Mainstream for me was no picnic, hated elementary school solely for the bullying, switched to private school after that- didn't hate it- good education but lousy socializing even though I got along with everyone in my class. I still feel like I missed a LOT both academically and socially but still did well academically (reading a ton saved me).

Exactly!!! I hated all of my mainstream schools I went too, even though some of them had "special ed" classes for me to go to still i got pulled out of my classes just for that. It was embarrassing to say the least.

@Foxrac ... I know the feeling. I too was sent to the principal's office more than I can count my fingers and toes. NO KIDDING!!! I just couldnt get along in jr high and high school... MAINSTREAM that is. *sighs*

OMG I hated SPED reading and speech. That plus how I talk .. got called a retard a lot. I was painfully shy until I was a teen I hated it.

Ahhh man we might have met back then. I wanted to go back in...oh let's see... I think somewhere between 1979 and 1982 (giving away my age lol). I was told NO too even though a relative lived a block and a half from Gallaudet and it was that relative who brought info on MSSD up to PA. I got my grubby paws on it when I happened to see it..."I want to go!". Mainstream for me was no picnic, hated elementary school solely for the bullying, switched to private school after that- didn't hate it- good education but lousy socializing even though I got along with everyone in my class. I still feel like I missed a LOT both academically and socially but still did well academically (reading a ton saved me).
Ducky, I know a guy who was named Ducky. You wouldnt happen to live in VA or did in past did you??

@ Zeefour, same here I had to do reading and SPED... if SPED is what I think it means, then yes, I hated it too!!! I , too, was painfully shy, still am from time to time.

Ducky, I know a guy who was named Ducky. You wouldnt happen to live in VA or did in past did you??

Nope not me... I lived in VA yes (born there) but we left when I was 6 months old lol. Ducky as a nickname came much later. I had a different nickname in college :).

Nope not me... I lived in VA yes (born there) but we left when I was 6 months old lol. Ducky as a nickname came much later. I had a different nickname in college :).
Ok, one more question, did you know a guy name Mike Watson? :)

Ok, one more question, did you know a guy name Mike Watson? :)

Hmmm doesn't sound familiar. Might take a look in my yearbooks- at least the ones I have access to (a few are still buried in boxes- only have the last two in my room)

Hmmm doesn't sound familiar. Might take a look in my yearbooks- at least the ones I have access to (a few are still buried in boxes- only have the last two in my room)
Did you go to MSSD, if not, then there is no way you could have known him. I know alot of deafies who went to MSSD back in the early 80 into the mid and late 80's. :) Its been over 30 years ... gosh I am showing my age, LOL!!

OMG I hated SPED reading and speech. That plus how I talk .. got called a retard a lot. I was painfully shy until I was a teen I hated it.
Wasn't in sped reading but was in it for math. Also was called retard a lot! :(

Wasn't in sped reading but was in it for math. Also was called retard a lot! :(
I am sorry you guys had to go through that. I am sure they called a lot of the deaf retard when they knew they couldn't hear them say it. I got called by names as well. It just goes to show how little they think of themselves without even realizing it. I have to look back and think... wow... how can someone be so damn mean to someone, what did we do to deserve that kind of behavior. we were born this way.

I wanted to go to MSSD so bad... mainstream is not for the deaf or hoh children. They should all be in a deaf school where they can be themselves. JS

Did you go to MSSD, if not, then there is no way you could have known him. I know alot of deafies who went to MSSD back in the early 80 into the mid and late 80's. :) Its been over 30 years ... gosh I am showing my age, LOL!!

Nope never went to MSSD- I wanted to but my parents wouldn't let me. I didn't get to DC until I attended Gallaudet :)

Back