How many deafies here know languages besides English and ASL?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many of you know languages besides English and ASL? Knowing a language means you know more than a few survival phrases, and you can engage in a conversation at a basic level on a number of general topics. This does not indicate fluency.

Me? I am fluent in English, I can engage in simple conversation in ASL (I was raised orally, so I did not learn ASL until I was in my 20's), I have studied French, German, Spanish, Swedish, and I am currently studying Latin.

Anyone else?

nada, just English and ASL. lol I took few spanish courses but i totally forget. :)

I noticed that hearing students are required to learn a language at school. My sons picked Spanish. I never did and I don't know any deaf people that was required to in school.

Right now I am learning french on a gaming site I play in. Bonjour!

French in grades 7 and 8. Flunked the oral tests and barely passed the written portion. I simply couldn't comprehend what the teacher was saying. It was like an out of the world alien language to my poor ears!

On a whim I decided to take spanish in grade 11 and surprise surprise I flunked that too even though I mastered the written portion. Oh well.

English and a spattering of ASL are what I have.

Well, I'm fluent in English (raised orally too) ASL - know basic conversation (learning it now) and I can speak Polish. Took French from Grade 3- half of grade 7 (Got pulled out to learn how to type on a computer? Really stupid but oh well). And that's pretty much it

Took Latin and French in high school............Can still understand my quebecosis friends (from camp) FB statuses......

I took one year of French in high school. I am terrible in oral French but I was good at writing in French. I had forgetten how to write French again. I only know some French words. In Canada, I did not use French at all, mostly in English same with Deaf people in Canada. They don't use French. I don't know if they understand LSQ (Language sign Quebec). I never learn this. I only can speak (most mispronounced and sometime not clearly) and write English (years ago, was bad in English writing but as time goes on, I got better and had attended three colleges so far in English writing). So it is worth it. :)

German is my mother tongue, also German Sign Language. I learned English in school, it was my favourite subject.

But I'm a language geek so I learned (and I'm still learning) Spanish and Japanese. I know basic French, Italian, Korean, Chinese and Czech. I want to learn more languages. :)

I know one phrase in Italian, only because I have an Italian professor. True Italian, she was born and raised in Italy and came to the dates for her doctoral work. The phrase? Boungiorno.

Are you studying classical Latin or ecclesiastical Latin?

Classical Latin, not church Latin.

So have I. What authors r you studying? Is this a first year course?

So have I. What authors r you studying? Is this a first year course?

Technically, it is. However, I am taking as an elective to help with my understanding of Linguistics as advised to me by a professor. I am a junior.

Cool. Latin rocks,,,,I am a Virgil fanatic by the way. He is my all time favourite author.

Well, Spanish is commonly spoken in FL, I can understand it when spoken to me, but I can't respond back in kind.

I was a student of linguistics in my college days, and in high school I learned French and German. I studied abroad in Germany for the Sommersemester 1996 and loved it. German is like my third native language now, since I have known it since 1990. I still keep in contact with my German friends. Also, I have studied Mandarin Chinese and Korean, as well as Norwegian before my trips to the respective countries. I'm an avid traveler and always like to learn several key phrases before going.

My school we where required to take 2 additional languages no matter what. My school refused to treat any student differently although we had different teachers to teach the languages to those of use who were hearing impaired

Studies have shown that younger students more readily acquire second languages, especially those under the age of 14, than older students.

You can learn a new language at any age, but the older you are, the more difficult it will be. This is why many European and Asian schools begin teaching English during the first year. In Asia, cram schools teach additional English to wealthy children who are expected to study abroad in an English-speaking country at some point.

Many colleges require two years of foreign language (minimum) to graduate or to take it in high school. I hated the fact (as a bilingual hearing student) being forced to have two years of Spanish. My school only offered French and German as an option to take after requiring Spanish one.

I struggled to pass my Spanish classes. I struggled because of my accent (Japanese) and being forced to read out loud in Spanish. I think if there had been ASL or Latin I would have enjoyed language classes more.

I personally hated trying to learn English growing up. :lol: If given the chance, I'd love to go learn French or Latin.

english bsl french little spanish but not used my french or spanish in sometime.Hope to go to South America this year must get Spanish books out but i lazy

Back