How long does it take to get Social Security?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I applied on-line for my retirement benefits on Sept. 2. My confirmation form said to wait at least five business days. Well, it's been a month and I haven't heard anything from them. So I checked on my status. It said that "a decision about my benefits hasn't been made yet." What decision? I'm eligible--there should be nothing to "decide." I've been contributing to Social Security since 1967. I should have enough points by now.

Fellow retirees, is that a normal processing time? How long did you have to wait from the time you applied until you got a payment?

Have you contact your local social security adm and see if there is anything what you need to do or make sure if it went through. It should no be more than a month if your eligible month is past.

Good thing you are able to collect it now. Who knows for the future generations. Scary.

I read somewhere that it is taking SS longer than normal to do anything these days.

My first thought was 65 years. :giggle:
Have no clue as I still have a few years. I'd contact them. Heck, I probably would have contacted them on day 6.

I have many, many years and the system will likely have crashed by then, assuming I even make it to retirement age, who knows what will happen to a person in the future.

They are probly still in the process of figuring out how much to pay you... They take their sweet time and I know some who went through it, they were told to apply 6 months before they actually retire.

For my experience with SSDI, it took 3 months to got approved.

They are probly still in the process of figuring out how much to pay you... They take their sweet time and I know some who went through it, they were told to apply 6 months before they actually retire.

They shouldn't have to figure that out. I get likely quarterly statements.....actually now that I'm thinking about it it's been awhile since they sent one hmmmm......anyway it says how much I've payed in, how much I'd get if I was suddenly disabled, how much my family would get if died etc etc etc. why would they have to figure it out? Seems like they already got that figured out before you've actually even retired.

You should go down to your SS office and bring a copy of all your paper work and be sure to get something in writing that prove you where there , the name of the person you saw etc. You should know nothing get done in 5 business days when it come to the government. I am not surprise it's taking this long, it's not right , but I really think you should ho down in person this way they'll know you mean business.

They shouldn't have to figure that out. I get likely quarterly statements.....actually now that I'm thinking about it it's been awhile since they sent one hmmmm......anyway it says how much I've payed in, how much I'd get if I was suddenly disabled, how much my family would get if died etc etc etc. why would they have to figure it out? Seems like they already got that figured out before you've actually even retired.
That's what I thought. I used to get the statements in the mail. When I applied on-line, the process included a calculator of benefits. They have all the numbers that they need.

Have you contact your local social security adm and see if there is anything what you need to do or make sure if it went through. It should no be more than a month if your eligible month is past.
I'm going to have to call them. I was really hoping to get it all done on-line, like the website says. I got a confirmation number of my application. I don't know what else they need.

I'm going to have to call them. I was really hoping to get it all done on-line, like the website says. I got a confirmation number of my application. I don't know what else they need.

A brain!

Theres a difference between disability and retirement. Retirement is based on your overall contribution as well as your last 3 paychecks.
Disability is based on years of contribution and severity of injury(s)

Theres a difference between disability and retirement. Retirement is based on your overall contribution as well as your last 3 paychecks.
Disability is based on years of contribution and severity of injury(s)

yeah?? And if they're keeping track of how much you'd get for disability and how much your family would get if you died why wouldn't they be figuring out how much you'd get for retirement as well? How much harder could it possibly be to do that? They're taking the time to figure out everything else out and you're not even disabled or dead yet.......doesn't make any sense.

I waited like 3-4 months finally got my 1st check...that was in 1998. (I stopped in early 90's because I was working full time, and make more than what I get from SS). So best is to call and see what's going on. My husband waited about 6 months and finally got it.....I hate 'waiting' part! :roll:

yeah?? And if they're keeping track of how much you'd get for disability and how much your family would get if you died why wouldn't they be figuring out how much you'd get for retirement as well? How much harder could it possibly be to do that? They're taking the time to figure out everything else out and you're not even disabled or dead yet.......doesn't make any sense.

it's not supposed to make any sense for you

it's not supposed to make any sense for you

O'really? Funny, Reba seems to agree with me about it. The very fact that they send these statements show they are keeping track of how much you've paid in, they have all the numbers they need.

It's probably more a matter of them dragging ass setting up people's payments, red tape.

the next generation are going to suffer but i paid my dues and be dead an gone down to next generation not to be work shy and put into the system more than they take out...seem same for most westen world

I had to ask someone about you. She said, that sometimes the claimants think they have submitted an application online but may miss a step and don't actual submit the application.
Retirement benefit internets that don't require development are usually procesed in a week or two. She wants you to contact your LOCAL SSA. She wants to see that you get paid.

Back