How long does it take to get Social Security?

I waited like 3-4 months finally got my 1st check...that was in 1998. (I stopped in early 90's because I was working full time, and make more than what I get from SS). So best is to call and see what's going on. My husband waited about 6 months and finally got it.....I hate 'waiting' part! :roll:

Did you get paid retroactively ?

just read about guy who fiddle system made millians when he thought about be caught he bought two houses in Spain where he is at the moment still cashing his benifit money.all on tax payer and i get squwat for my daughter,i expect same happens in america

Theres a difference between disability and retirement. Retirement is based on your overall contribution as well as your last 3 paychecks.
Disability is based on years of contribution and severity of injury(s)

:hmm:...I retired a little early due to medical issues...received SSDI...and when I became of retirement age, got a letter from SS saying that I was no longer on SSDI and on SS, and my monthly check "would remain the same"....and that's after working many, many years....I didn't think it was "fair"...but all in all, with the situations today, I feel lucky at least I'm getting something back after paying my taxes all these years.

Have no idea why Reba's case is taking longer than normal, as our situations are different.

O'really? Funny, Reba seems to agree with me about it. The very fact that they send these statements show they are keeping track of how much you've paid in, they have all the numbers they need.

It's probably more a matter of them dragging ass setting up people's payments, red tape.
Even the set up shouldn't take long. My application included all the bank account info they requested for setting up direct deposit payments. Everything is on-line software. I fill in the blanks to them, then they fill in the blanks for sending out the payments. You know they have all the documentation to verify what I sent in (they keep tabs on us, right?).

We're at their mercy, for sure.

I had to ask someone about you. She said, that sometimes the claimants think they have submitted an application online but may miss a step and don't actual submit the application.
Retirement benefit internets that don't require development are usually procesed in a week or two. She wants you to contact your LOCAL SSA. She wants to see that you get paid.
OK. :ty:

I'lll probably do that. I hate calling government offices (menus, waiting, etc.). But I guess I might need to do that.

I can't remember my timing from 2008 but I had stuck it out until full retirement age which for me was 65 and 10 or 11 months. Reba, you are younger than I so full retirement age for you would be even higher. Even so, with you background of other income, I am surprised you have decided to apply at the very earliest age that you can. You are aware, I hope, that the reduced amount that you get monthly by starting early stays lower even after you reach full retirement age.

Now to the possible hold ups that I can think of. Your military service and the pension from that may well make a difference in what amount of Social Security you are entitled to. Also, since it has taken this long I have a feeling you have hit snags from the sequesture (sp) and/or the current shut down.

Sorry, anyone born before 1964 can get full retirement at 62 I think, after that it is 67.

I can't remember my timing from 2008 but I had stuck it out until full retirement age which for me was 65 and 10 or 11 months. Reba, you are younger than I so full retirement age for you would be even higher. Even so, with you background of other income, I am surprised you have decided to apply at the very earliest age that you can. You are aware, I hope, that the reduced amount that you get monthly by starting early stays lower even after you reach full retirement age.

Now to the possible hold ups that I can think of. Your military service and the pension from that may well make a difference in what amount of Social Security you are entitled to. Also, since it has taken this long I have a feeling you have hit snags from the sequesture (sp) and/or the current shut down.

I became eligible for partial SS in March. I debated waiting until 65 for full retirement. (I'm in the age group that gets full retirement at 65.) But since my interpreting work has dried up, I can't wait. Also, someone computed for me the difference in waiting or not. He showed me that my break even point would be age 77. Since I might not even live that long, why should I wait? Both my parents died before age 70.

I still want to work. That's why I'm attending college now to get into a new field. However, I don't expect to make more than what SS will allow, so I need to go after both SS and employment.

I applied well before the shut down.

Military retirees who also contributed to SS get both. It's common and normal. That shouldn't throw the SSA for a loop. :giggle:

Sorry, anyone born before 1964 can get full retirement at 62 I think, after that it is 67.

Sorry for your misunderstanding! I know what I lived through and here is a quote from the Social Security web site:

"Full retirement age (also called "normal retirement age") had been 65 for many years. However, beginning with people born in 1938 or later, that age gradually increases until it reaches 67 for people born after 1959."

The Social Security site is at Retirement Age Calculator

I was born in 1951. I can get partial retirement at 62, and full retirement at 66 (according to the calculator). I already did the on-line benefits calculator at SSA, so I have an idea of how much pre-tax benefit I would get. Believe me, it's not much but it's better than nothing.

If anyone who is available at a reduced retirement then GRAB for it because if anyone wait until the full retirement that you lose three worth of years prior at a full benefit or more . However today, it changes to age 67 depending on how old you all are based on what year you were born. Its ok to grab a retirement if its a reduced benefit, and you can continue to work as long as dont make more than the limit earning when you know for sure, and it will helps to pay very little into SS benefit ( or retirement benefit). It s still good.

If it were me, I dont work then i ll grab the reduced retirement right away and if i decide to return to work then talk to any bosses if they can give me limit hours of making earning then it will be perfect.

I became eligible for partial SS in March. I debated waiting until 65 for full retirement. (I'm in the age group that gets full retirement at 65.) But since my interpreting work has dried up, I can't wait. Also, someone computed for me the difference in waiting or not. He showed me that my break even point would be age 77. Since I might not even live that long, why should I wait? Both my parents died before age 70.

I still want to work. That's why I'm attending college now to get into a new field. However, I don't expect to make more than what SS will allow, so I need to go after both SS and employment.

I applied well before the shut down.

Military retirees who also contributed to SS get both. It's common and normal. That shouldn't throw the SSA for a loop. :giggle:

I noticed that you corrected you full retirement age in a later post.

For myself I don't remember what my breakeven age would have been but I could get by until my full retirement age and wanted the full amount. I did have quite a number of family members from both sides that lived until their mid 80's and even late 80's with one that I know of that died in her 90's. (Reba you especially might be interested in the fact that the great aunt of mine that was in her 90's when she died had been an Army nurse! I would need to look up her exact date of death but it was in the 1970's.)

As far as the combination for military retirees it may be common but is an additional thing that has to be taken into consideration.

My thought of such things as the shut down making a difference was since it has taken this long you may have an even longer wait because of it.

I noticed that you corrected you full retirement age in a later post.
Well, that's what your calculator link showed, so that's what I used.

[quote}For myself I don't remember what my breakeven age would have been but I could get by until my full retirement age and wanted the full amount. I did have quite a number of family members from both sides that lived until their mid 80's and even late 80's with one that I know of that died in her 90's. (Reba you especially might be interested in the fact that the great aunt of mine that was in her 90's when she died had been an Army nurse! I would need to look up her exact date of death but it was in the 1970's.)[/quote]
Yes, interesting. about your aunt. :) One of my aunts was a Navy nurse in WWII. She married a Navy doctor. She was my dad's sister. My dad and one of his brothers were in the Navy, WWII, and his other brother was a Marine.

Sadly, I don't expect to be that long lived, so there's no point in delaying my SS.

As far as the combination for military retirees it may be common but is an additional thing that has to be taken into consideration.
Who knows? I've never heard of it being a problem but I guess anything is possible. Even admirals who get retirements 20x what I get can collect SS. :)

My thought of such things as the shut down making a difference was since it has taken this long you may have an even longer wait because of it.
Terrific.

I was born in 1951. I can get partial retirement at 62, and full retirement at 66 (according to the calculator). I already did the on-line benefits calculator at SSA, so I have an idea of how much pre-tax benefit I would get. Believe me, it's not much but it's better than nothing.

Ok, so your full retirement age is 66 and by applying for it early, you take a hit......in your case (62), you will take roughly a 25% hit from what you would have gotten if you waited till 66....

Ok, so your full retirement age is 66 and by applying for it early, you take a hit......in your case (62), you will take roughly a 25% hit from what you would have gotten if you waited till 66....
Right but that doesn't make a life-time difference until after age 77.

77? I'm not understanding.....
If one person takes reduced benefits at 62, and another (same birthday) waits until age 66 for full benefits, at age 77 they will have both collected the same amount of dollars. After 77, the person who started at 62 will receive less than the person who waited until 66. If the person dies before 77, that won't make any difference.

I found out about SS retirement is more faster to get approved than SSDI because SSDI require documentation and examination so it can take much as one year for some people. My experience with SSDI interview on phone was terrible and they asked me a lot of questions like how many did you sit down, how many did you stand up, how many did you bath in shower, how did you open the car, etc, so phone lasted 2 hours when I was at Gally student union building.

Back