How long before you were able to sleep on the operated side from the CI op?

How long before you were able to sleep on your operated side?

• over two weeks after op

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • A month later after op

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than a month after op but under 6mths

• Over a year/Indefinite

• Total voters

Fumasivil

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity as I know that having operations the body tends not to sleep on it until it becomes OK to sleep on it. I just had my CI op last week (21st May 09) and still can't sleep on the operated side as it's very uncomfortable at the moment. Had no need for a recliner as I could resume my normal sleeping pattern soon after the op.

Just out of curiosity as I know that having operations the body tends not to sleep on it until it becomes OK to sleep on it. I just had my CI op last week (21st May 09) and still can't sleep on the operated side as it's very uncomfortable at the moment.

If I remember correctly, it took me 2-3 weeks before I could sleep on my implanted side.

While you are healing, you may want to try sleeping in a recliner. This is what I did and it worked out quite well for me.

That's good question. I didn't vote it. I have a surgery on June 11. I will figure it out what is going on. I will come to your thread and poll soon.

Yeah, depending on how much pulling that the surgeon did can affect areas. It took a couple weeks to sleep on it, but over a month to be comfortable. The first two weeks I couldn't sleep on it, so I slept in the livingroom, and just slept on the non surgery side to force myself to sleep on one side. Over time, I am able to sleep on the surgery side, but it was still sensitive. I couldn't just plop my head down, I had to go down real slow.

The right side surgery took a little bit longer to recover because I am a right-side sleeper, so if you sleep on the side of the surgery, it makes it hurt a little.

You can opt to get down filled pillows, that helps a lot, and putting a nice support on the neck to keep the pillow off the surgery site.

Also, you can try to put ice pack for half hour before bed...that may help a little.

Pinky - be sure you use ice pack right away....that helped me a LOT.

I slept on my operated side (my usual sleeping side) on same night as my surgery!! it was fine. Like lady said, it depend on how much bashing they gave you!! I used v shaped pillow and fluffy soft pillows to keep my head/shoulders evelated, i think this helped alot. When i came round in recovery they were putting alot of pillows around me and i was in upright postition aswell. I reckon the more evelated you are the swelling goes somewhere else!

Would be nice to meet you soon

I didn't really have much of an issue with sleeping positions after my CI surgery, I slept on my right side for maybe a week or so and then went back to sleeping on my CI side. I do not have a permanent sleeping position due to my hip dysplasia and my back injury so I have to switch sides and also switch positions often. Recently I've had to buy a foam mattress and then I bought overstuffed pillows and it helps a lot. I never used a recliner as I did not have one at the time of my implantation. My bed was just fine for me, as I prefer to sleep flat, not in a recliner. I'm just that way - I prefer to sleep on my sides in a level position. I used to be a fetus sleeper as a teenager before I went into foster care because back then I had a queen waterbed. When I entered foster care I slept on twin beds so I was forced to sleep in a straight position as there was not enough room. I now have a queen bed but due to years of sleeping on twin beds in foster care I have lost my preference of sleeping in a fetus positon. Oh well. I would love to get a king bed, I always liked to have lots and lots of room. I won't be caught dead with a twin bed, ever. I hate them. Someday I would love to get a Tempurpedic bed. I slept on one once and it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on.

Yeah, depending on how much pulling that the surgeon did can affect areas. It took a couple weeks to sleep on it, but over a month to be comfortable. The first two weeks I couldn't sleep on it, so I slept in the livingroom, and just slept on the non surgery side to force myself to sleep on one side. Over time, I am able to sleep on the surgery side, but it was still sensitive. I couldn't just plop my head down, I had to go down real slow.

The right side surgery took a little bit longer to recover because I am a right-side sleeper, so if you sleep on the side of the surgery, it makes it hurt a little.

You can opt to get down filled pillows, that helps a lot, and putting a nice support on the neck to keep the pillow off the surgery site.

Also, you can try to put ice pack for half hour before bed...that may help a little.

Pinky - be sure you use ice pack right away....that helped me a LOT.

Thank you for telling me. I must use ice pack on my head! :)

Definently under a week. 3-4 days. Mostly due to the lack of feeling on my ear. Felt like it should be hurting but couldn't really tell.
After my second CI, I was better at staying inclinded following surgery. No problem with the first, just more neck/shoulder swelling. Neck muscles were not as sore with the second either. I thing the inclined position helped.

Sorry, didn't vote since the shortest time was 2 weeks.
Steve

I had my CI surgery in Febuary and I slept in a recliner for 6 days. I had both my ears implanted at the same time and I am a side sleeper, so I had no other choice. But we have a tempurpedic mattress and pillows so that really did help when I went back to sleeping in bed.

Hope that helped,

Bobbi

Back