how has cochlear implants controversy died out?

so, you're a fan of Monsters Inc. ?:lol:

I'm with BleedingPurist on this, it allows a Deaf child to hear even though they will never be hearing. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
so the question is - why is it so important for the child to hear? whose value is that?

By saying that deaf children can hear with their CIs gives society the misconception that they are hearing and then politicians will start proposing bills against ASL. The hearing world sees or hear the word, "hearing" and they think the children are cured. Then society starts discriminating against those who don't have CIs or don't do as well with their CIs. I have already encountered some discrimination towards me simply because I don't have CIs despite my years and years of hard work with my speech skills. I was born with a bilateral severe profound deafness of 110 DB and I achieved near perfect speech skills all without CIs and instead of getting credit for it, I get discriminated because I can't hear like a hearing person. Thats why I prefer the Deaf world. I got tired of all the impossible expectations put on me and getting blamed for not meeting them. That's why I hate audism or audist thinking with a passion.

I'm sorry you felt judged or were discriminated against. As a hearing person that was never exposed to anyone Deaf before meeting my daughter, I would have been baffled by your decision not to get the implant a year ago. For me, I would be absolutely lost without my hearing. We are inclined to feel like you are doing without something, that it must be hard and difficult, a daily struggle, and that you would want to hear as clearly as possible. We forget the fact that so many Deaf adults were raised Deaf in a separate culture that they enjoy it and don't feel like they need to be "fixed." It's simply ignorance and a completely different mindset on the subject of hearing.

Many professionals we work with refrain from calling a CI recipients hearing. I am told it will allow access to sounds that she will otherwise never have. That I shouldn't have to learn sign. That Zoe should be able to hear and speak almost as well as a hearing child. It would be easy to be lazy and not learn ASL for my daughter, esp with the encouragement of surgeons and audiologists, so I understand the frustration there. But I still don't think they are a bad thing or that they are being pushed and sold to people who have unrealistic expectations.

so the question is - why is it so important for the child to hear? whose value is that?

That is a good question.

I can image that any small kids to learn how to listen and speak through CI and spend time many hours of interacting with hearing people and know ASL but their Deaf culture would be more likely less and less and focus on the sounds therefore the Deaf culture is fading. So It is going to be the "CI Culture" is growing, if they do care. :dunno2:

I don't want to get into the whole CIs are ruining the Deaf Culture thing. Cultures are meant to evolve over time, let it evolve to include these children who are not Deaf or Hearing just the same as the hearing expand to include them. Why can't we share the newest generation? Why should our children fit into a culture we are excluded from any more than our own.

I don't want to get into the whole CIs are ruining the Deaf Culture thing. Cultures are meant to evolve over time, let it evolve to include these children who are not Deaf or Hearing just the same as the hearing expand to include them. Why can't we share the newest generation? Why should our children fit into a culture we are excluded from any more than our own.

That is nothing wrong to evolve over times in reality. Lots of deaf kids will never know what the Deaf culture is like. Same for me that I never knew how italian culture is like. I am sad to see the italian culture is fading in my relatives. I wish i knew more about italian culture but its evolving in italian culture.

That's all I'm saying. I would have loved to experience the American Culture in the 1920s or the 1950s, but the culture has changed into the now. And with the now, Deaf children have the ability to hear fairly well if a parent so chooses to take that route. Nothing can stay the same forever, the Deaf Culture is bound to change just as every other culture changes, CI or no CI.

Yeah.. All I care is that I want to see kids with or without CI or HA learn ASL and its up to them if they want to ASL.

That's all I'm saying. I would have loved to experience the American Culture in the 1920s or the 1950s, but the culture has changed into the now. And with the now, Deaf children have the ability to hear fairly well if a parent so chooses to take that route. Nothing can stay the same forever, the Deaf Culture is bound to change just as every other culture changes, CI or no CI.

That is a little different. I am the old generation with Deaf culture. My age of people who are still in the Deaf culture we all are still fighting by educating people to keep ASL and be well knowledged about Deaf, deaf,Hoh. My age, Deaf culture is still there. But for small kids (2013) I dont see any Deaf culture in them due to the fact that the kids are being separated from other Deaf, deaf or hoh where they have not take a chance of knowing each other that well yet socializing with hearing people.

I guess where you and I differ here is that I fully intend on my daughter being part of the Deaf Community, speaking and signing with her CI. I don't think culture will just die, these children will still grow up and search out people with common experiences who are Deaf and wear CIs just like them. They can still sign with the older generation. I still think the culture is just changing, albeit quite fast. I'm surely not the only hearing parent of a Deaf CI child who wants my daughter to know that she's not the only one, who want them to be part of a bigger picture, a community, to have people to relate to and to bond with.

deaf culture is being affected by neoliberalism, quite badly too.

CI cultures will ruin for on deaf commuinty. SPARC is very lying...
parents already strong advise culture situation for Cultures eviction for SPARC is reason.

They insult to whom d/hoh cause destroy. it is very not fair... We against to AGB. we some complaint to report confidential. some issues cochlear implant failure unsuccessfully doesn't work. SPARC encourage whom is very education School Public Saskatchewan risk.. prevent to Mixing. We are high protect. SPARC is very control. we are tried to stop SPARC control. listen respect and value. doesn't work equal on communication supportive. it is very heartbreak lots of problem frustrated cochlear implant and oral. it is very difficult loss on communication and sign language.

we are many problem on risk frustrated. we are encourage to ASL clear to understand. Failure to happened. it is doesn't work implant. we are find research SPARC/ also will information issues rough.

I vaguely remember that movie, but that line is from I song I vaguely remember from my childhood :lol:

you owe it to yourself, pick that movie up next time, watch it, its great fun to watch.

I guess where you and I differ here is that I fully intend on my daughter being part of the Deaf Community, speaking and signing with her CI. I don't think culture will just die, these children will still grow up and search out people with common experiences who are Deaf and wear CIs just like them. They can still sign with the older generation. I still think the culture is just changing, albeit quite fast. I'm surely not the only hearing parent of a Deaf CI child who wants my daughter to know that she's not the only one, who want them to be part of a bigger picture, a community, to have people to relate to and to bond with.

And that rocks 100% I think a lot of the fear is that parents think that HOH (whether functionally or audilogically) kids are more "hearing then deaf" and don't " need" stuff like Deaf School and ASL and all that sort of stuff. I agree with you. I think that the only thing about Deaf culture is that kids who don't have expressive spoken language skills are going to be rarer. .....It might just mean that it will be easier for kids to be BILINGAL in both spoken/written English AND ASL. Who knows? Maybe the CI will actually OPEN and expand Deaf culture and Deaf eduction........by making it HOH friendly! I see a lot of parents thinking that Deaf stuff is just for profound unaided/unimplanted kids. So they don't think that their HOH (either with CI or HA) kid would benifit from something like that. You do get it....and that ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you owe it to yourself, pick that movie up next time, watch it, its great fun to watch.

Oh I've seen it, it's just been a reeeallly long time. I liked Finding Nemo, Madagascar and Over the Hedge better ;)

Gee: something new="CI culture"? As a bilateral DEAF person with a Cochlear Implant-almost 6 years-never heard that I am part of Cochlear Implant culture.
Where can I get info on this?

<<<^^^ thats the mutation that the Deaf community didnt want....and its already happening....

Back