how has cochlear implants controversy died out?

Grummer

Reaction score
any opinion on why is that?

just curious

and, is it still true that having a cochlear implant would make a deaf person hear like a severe deaf or 'better' whats is better??

thanks

The controversy on implanting deaf children seems to have lessened but the controversy over not allowing deaf children with implants learn ASL or learn about Deaf culture is still as strong as a controversy as it was when the Milan Conference happened.

I tested no response and now my implanted ear tests between 15 and 40dB depending on the frequency. It is better than that now because it's been turned up, but I won't be tested again until next month. I had 34% speech recognition at 1 month post activation.

I tested no response and now my implanted ear tests between 15 and 40dB depending on the frequency. It is better than that now because it's been turned up, but I won't be tested again until next month. I had 34% speech recognition at 1 month post activation.

I think you might have replied to wrong thread, but that's AWESOME!!! great news Alex :D

The controversy on implanting deaf children seems to have lessened but the controversy over not allowing deaf children with implants learn ASL or learn about Deaf culture is still as strong as a controversy as it was when the Milan Conference happened.

images

What happened at the Milan Conference?

Miln coference in 1880, banned sign language , effectively made Oralism as a way all over the word. Alexander Graham Bell, made sure NO Deaf people to attend...very political and dirty...
hell HIS WIFE was Deaf, go figure!!
what an asshole he was. more so, id douht he actaully invented the phone at al, i reckon it was the polish guy did (Tesla?) or similar...
idunno, im not a walking talking er bird flippen' dictionary..

G

Miln coference in 1880, banned sign language , effectively made Oralism as a way all over the word. Alexander Graham Bell, made sure NO Deaf people to attend...very political and dirty...
what an asshole he was. more so, id douht he actaully invented the phone at al, i reckon it was the polish guy did (Tesla?) or similar...

G

nothing officially is invented anyhow. Even Einstein stole the relativity theory from an Italian scientist that he spotted in his post (or patent) office job.

In other words, all inventions are just based upon the original foundation of patents (or under developments...).

For example, electric bulb- its actually predated by 50+ years prior. There is a conspiracy theory that Egyptian dynasty invented it some 2,000 years or so ago, but since there is no contemporary parallel record from distant locations that it had been in contact, I don't see the validation.

i do know that Egyptian dynasty invented glass some 2,000 years or so ago, but heating sand to very high temperture...and beating it to shape (or flat) but light bulb? nah but they probably did BLOW it to shape, lie glass vases and probably used candles...?

the glass is true but as a lamp for fire? i dunno? not gonna google today , got work to do...

The rationale for Cochlear Implants is getting more "hearing" than one had with their Hearing aids. Of course, contingent is one meets the criteria for Implantation.

Aside: no sure how a "severe deaf" person hears thus -co comment if a Cochlear Implant is an improvement-hearing wise.

any opinion on why is that?

just curious

and, is it still true that having a cochlear implant would make a deaf person hear like a severe deaf or 'better' whats is better??

thanks

The controversy was about whether young children of hearing parents being implanted would be the death of Deaf culture.

The thing is that young children (especially before the age of 3) have extraordinarily plastic brains. They are well equipped to learn how to use the sounds from a CI AND the languages of ASL and English.

As for your second question about whether cochlear implants can restore hearing to deaf people. It depends on the person and their experience and success with audition.

If a "deaf" person has never used hearing aids and gets a CI at age 30 they will have to learn what sound is in the same way an infant has to learn about sound.
I say "deaf" because with hearing aids many audiologically deaf people really have severe hearing loss.
Without hearing aids I am profoundly deaf but with hearing aids I have severe hearing loss.
If I got a cochlear implant, I would likely have thresholds in the mild range (30db) which is MUCH better than 60db (in the low frequencies) to 120 in the high frequencies WITH hearing aids.

30, really? My audiogram ranges from 10db to 20db in the CI ear. This is actually in the normal hearing range.

30, really? My audiogram ranges from 10db to 20db in the CI ear. This is actually in the normal hearing range.

Depends when you got implanted. Pretty normal to hear at 30db with a CI. My friend was implanted late when being profoundly deaf all her life. She hears at 40db to 50db.

People who had a good amount of hearing before, are late deafened or implanted quickly seem to hear a lot better or have a easier time to be able to get hear better.

I think the controversy has shifted from whether or not to implant a child (which is now commonly accepted) to whether or not a child should be raised with ASL or English, as Shel said.

As for hearing capabilities, children without physical abnormalities of the ear are able to hear speech on the same level as hearing children, EXCEPT in noisy environments. But they have come out with the t-mic and other things to help a person hear more clearly in loud surroundings, they just don't like to give these to children because they want the child to learn to listen through the sounds. I know nothing about implanted adults or how it differs from children.

G

not fair on reason ruin on SPARC cause ruin banned on ASL Sign language :eek3: oh no way no reason SPARC ban ASL mess on not fair my community. deaf community want to control to ASL, we don't understand. oral and ESL sign language seems look likes strictlest AGB because strictly.. what is happened? we don't understand... but research AGB also but we don't trust to SPARC bit problem on relate to difficult to SHARP/SPARC. it is difficult

I think the controversy has shifted from whether or not to implant a child (which is now commonly accepted) to whether or not a child should be raised with ASL or English, as Shel said.

As for hearing capabilities, children without physical abnormalities of the ear are able to hear speech on the same level as hearing children, EXCEPT in noisy environments. But they have come out with the t-mic and other things to help a person hear more clearly in loud surroundings, they just don't like to give these to children because they want the child to learn to listen through the sounds. I know nothing about implanted adults or how it differs from children.

I wouldn't quite say that. Yes, a lot of implantee kids can "hear" at HOH levels, but there are still kids who don't hear as well.......it's just that that pool is a lot smaller, since they loosened up the implantation criteria. There are still kids who don't get a lot of benifit from CI. I actually think that the sucesses may be due to kids who got SOME benifit from aids getting implanted.(ie they could hear some speech sounds or some enviromental sounds with aids.. Their brain knew how to process sound, so they have an advantage over those who had no previous exposure to sound).....That then makes the number of kids who don't benifit from CI appear a lot smaller. And before I'm attacked, I've heard a lot of really unsavory stories about how the CI companies and oral schools manipulate data. Remember the CI companies are basicly in the business for ONE REASON. PROFIT. The more they make their product appear desirable, the more money they make!

I wouldn't quite say that. Yes, a lot of implantee kids can "hear" at HOH levels, but there are still kids who don't hear as well.......it's just that that pool is a lot smaller, since they loosened up the implantation criteria. There are still kids who don't get a lot of benifit from CI. I actually think that the sucesses may be due to kids who got SOME benifit from aids getting implanted.(ie they could hear some speech sounds or some enviromental sounds with aids.. Their brain knew how to process sound, so they have an advantage over those who had no previous exposure to sound).....That then makes the number of kids who don't benifit from CI appear a lot smaller. And before I'm attacked, I've heard a lot of really unsavory stories about how the CI companies and oral schools manipulate data. Remember the CI companies are basicly in the business for ONE REASON. PROFIT. The more they make their product appear desirable, the more money they make!

Everyone has an unsavory story. It's known as gossip in the real world and isn't taken seriously.

Science/Research comes first and then the CI companies respond to the need. I haven't seen any of the companies engaged in unethical sales geared towards children. They are closely monitored by the FDA in the U.S. with strict controls on the marketing and selling of the devices. They are medical devices, not implantable hearing aids... as much as you attempt to paint them as so. Yes, CI Companies are a business... with a noble cause behind it. That cause is what drives the dedicated people who work at them, usually audiologists with doctorates. We aren't talking about automobile dealers here who just want to make a sale. These are people who actually want to help make a difference in someone's life.

I have yet to ever see you cite hard data to back up your statements, just the same old phrases like: "a lot of implantee kids can "hear" at HOH levels." What's this "a lot?" Numbers please. What's this "HOH levels." Decibels/audiogram examples, please.

Back