how has cochlear implants controversy died out?

Is the "deaf culture" ideal- "steamboat" era of over a hundred years ago-don't use technology at all-except for cell phones/computers but nothing else? "myopic condition"?

I'm watching Sound and Fury again.
Partly because I need to see it again.
Partly because I have seen the sequel wherein the whole family gets implanted AND still signs.
Partly because I'm getting married in less than 10 days and OMG THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO.

Gee: something new="CI culture"? As a bilateral DEAF person with a Cochlear Implant-almost 6 years-never heard that I am part of Cochlear Implant culture.
Where can I get info on this?

drphil, you're late deafened. Very late deafened as a matter of fact. You see hearing and CI more on the hearing health perspective. There's no specific CI culture. You can be a part of Deaf culture with a CI, but you don't have to be....You can be a member of ALDA and HLAA and be all wetting your Depends over the Latest FM device.

As to make up of the local Deaf group- populated with persons "deaf Militants/voice off" having a non using ASL guest does seem a bit remote. No desire to hire an interpreter to such an "outing". To date i have survived without being a member of the local deaf group-here in Toronto.

Not a member of either ALDA or HLAA. Whether they exist in Canada-no idea. I don't need a new FM device-my Implant picks up music- quite well- so far.

Not a user of 'depends" either. Not sure how they "fit" being DEAF.

I really don't know if a "CI culture" is a thing or more importantly a threat to Deaf culture. Yeah, there are a few very vocal people who are my age who were implanted early and are vocal proponents of Cochlear Implants but aside from that it is almost ridiculous to call people who choose (as adults) part of a CI culture.
Most people who are adults who choose to get cochlear implants as adults are either became profoundly deaf as teens/adults or were born with severe to profound hearing loss but probably have a bunch of auditory experience.

That isn't a threat to Deaf culture. I'm not going to stop signing just because I get a CI.
Maybe Deaf culture is threatened because very young children can get cochlear implants and don't SEEM to need ASL.
Maybe this is a way for Deaf culture to grow.

In some other countries all nightly news broadcasts have sign language interpretation at the same time. That is so much better than the splotchy closed captioning we have here.

I really don't know if a "CI culture" is a thing or more importantly a threat to Deaf culture. Yeah, there are a few very vocal people who are my age who were implanted early and are vocal proponents of Cochlear Implants but aside from that it is almost ridiculous to call people who choose (as adults) part of a CI culture.
Most people who are adults who choose to get cochlear implants as adults are either became profoundly deaf as teens/adults or were born with severe to profound hearing loss but probably have a bunch of auditory experience.

That isn't a threat to Deaf culture. I'm not going to stop signing just because I get a CI.
Maybe Deaf culture is threatened because very young children can get cochlear implants and don't SEEM to need ASL.

In some other countries all nightly news broadcasts have sign language interpretation at the same time. That is so much better than the splotchy closed captioning we have here.

It is NOT better for those that have trouble following orally but do NOT know sign!

It is NOT better for those that have trouble following orally but do NOT know sign!

shall i rephrase this to a even more clearer statement.

It is NOT better for those that have trouble following orally, do NOT know sign!

removeut pre the but.
so ,
NO Buts!

its true you can't value having No language over the only 'sought' (sic) English language, what right you have to say this? how Dare you say that a deaf child who may not follow English clearly but prefer sign?!

it is the child's right to have language , ANY Language which comes to them naturally.

YES, It's very audist to assume that just b/c a kid isn't one of those kids who gets very little to no benifit from HAs/CIs, that they wouldn't benifit from ASL as WELL!
ASL, Deaf culture and Deaf ed isn't just for profound voice off, unaided/unCI'd kids..........it is for ALL dhh kids!

It is hardly "audist" to point out some factual matters re Cochlear Implants. At Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984 have examined 3000 referred persons for consideration of Cochlear Implants. 2000 were NOT "suitable"-for one reason or other. Of the 1000-of which I was one- were. 18 didn't benefit after activation. Info given a couple of years ago patients meeting-Sunnybrook/Toronto.

aside: I am well aware the entire cost-hospital/surgeon/audiologists etc is covered by OHIP-Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan. Back 6 years ago was $55,000. when I was Implanted.

Probably similar statistics at most/many other centres around the world.

Learning /using ASL et al is not in any way comparable to the use of Cochlear Implants/Hearing aids.

Ongoing discussion in Sociology-deaf culture

It is hardly "audist" to point out some factual matters re Cochlear Implants. At Sunnybrook/Toronto since 1984 have examined 3000 referred persons for consideration of Cochlear Implants. 2000 were NOT "suitable"-for one reason or other. Of the 1000-of which I was one- were. 18 didn't benefit after activation. Info given a couple of years ago patients meeting-Sunnybrook/Toronto.

aside: I am well aware the entire cost-hospital/surgeon/audiologists etc is covered by OHIP-Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan. Back 6 years ago was $55,000. when I was Implanted.

Learning /using ASL et al is not in any way comparable to the use of Cochlear Implants/Hearing aids.

right there....
you are practically saying Oralism is superior to sign (Comparable is used in this context is undoubtaby exactly the same as 'you cant comparse speech is better!)

now now NOW, for a LONG time, and at that, i do not say its OLD like forgotten as in old fashioned, i mean Old as a 'tried and true wisdom"...that sign is *NATURAL* it doesnt require LEARNING TO artifically hear and parrot the speech, with sign, we ALready SEE but just have to learn THE Language, that is to say; THE language is a GATEWAY to LEARNING

speech training is learning to speak and oftentmes (and it is still ringint true) that a deaf child is still going to be BEHIND, spending the rest of their lives on CATCHING UP

because you cant just learn to 'hear' and learn *speech* (if you're lucky) and then (if you're even more lucky) to learn Engish at a an extremely fast *pace* in the hearing world...

it's a huge enormous undertaking for Any Deaf child to take, and the parents are pleased? christ me its bloody cruel...

now,
THAT IS AUDISM...
becauae audism is PLACING HEARING (audi) skills (sic) Language (but you have to learn to hear first)...ism (subject)

plain and simple,
it is plain Audist to say;

No one can deny it, you got caught out right there!....

Bear in mind most recipients are late deafened. The majority of deaf people ARE late deaf. A very small percentage are born/early deafened.

right there....
you are practically saying Oralism is superior to sign (Comparable is used in this context is undoubtaby exactly the same as 'you cant comparse speech is better!)

now now NOW, for a LONG time, and at that, i do not say its OLD like forgotten as in old fashioned, i mean Old as a 'tried and true wisdom"...that sign is *NATURAL* it doesnt require LEARNING TO artifically hear and parrot the speech, with sign, we ALready SEE but just have to learn THE Language, that is to say; THE language is a GATEWAY to LEARNING

speech training is learning to speak and oftentmes (and it is still ringint true) that a deaf child is still going to be BEHIND, spending the rest of their lives on CATCHING UP

because you cant just learn to 'hear' and learn *speech* (if you're lucky) and then (if you're even more lucky) to learn Engish at a an extremely fast *pace* in the hearing world...

it's a huge enormous undertaking for Any Deaf child to take, and the parents are pleased? christ me its bloody cruel...

now,
THAT IS AUDISM...
becauae audism is PLACING HEARING (audi) skills (sic) Language (but you have to learn to hear first)...ism (subject)

plain and simple,
it is plain Audist to say;

No one can deny it, you got caught out right there!....

*nods* Yes, kids are aquirring spoken language skills a bit better then in the era of body worn aids......but they're still overall at the level of HOH kids from 20 years ago. They're still in the oral speech schools, and are STILL in speech therapy forever. Even most oral sucesses are in speech therapy for a long time. Their verbal IQs are still not on par with hearing kids.....

YES, It's very audist to assume that just b/c a kid isn't one of those kids who gets very little to no benifit from HAs/CIs, that they wouldn't benifit from ASL as WELL!
ASL, Deaf culture and Deaf ed isn't just for profound voice off, unaided/unCI'd kids..........it is for ALL dhh kids!

But it is at least possible the child might benefit from spending that time learning a different skill instead. Really depends on the kid. What if the kid doesn't want to learn sign?

Seems a bit "strange" to compare LEARNING -ASL et al to wearing a Hearing aid/Cochlear Implant. To me very different activity. One presumably learning ASL takes a much time to"master the "signs".
The speed of which kids learn speech -highly specific to prior parental activity.

But it is at least possible the child might benefit from spending that time learning a different skill instead. Really depends on the kid. What if the kid doesn't want to learn sign?

Really does depend on the child, you're right. I'm curious, though, what different skills are you thinking of?

shall i rephrase this to a even more clearer statement.

It is NOT better for those that have trouble following orally, do NOT know sign!

removeut pre the but.
so ,
NO Buts!

its true you can't value having No language over the only 'sought' (sic) English language, what right you have to say this? how Dare you say that a deaf child who may not follow English clearly but prefer sign?!

it is the child's right to have language , ANY Language which comes to them naturally.

Grummer, not everybody that is HoH/deaf grew up that way. I'm a perfect example. I'm deaf, I don't know sign, I need captions. I don't not now sign because I was denied it as a child. Nobody in my life decided I needed to know English, not ASL. I wasn't a deaf child, I was hearing child I'm now a deaf adult. That wasn't what Jane was saying......at all, you just jumped all over her shit and shoved a bunch of words in her mouth.

Grummer, not everybody that is HoH/deaf grew up that way. I'm a perfect example. I'm deaf, I don't know sign, I need captions. I don't not know sign because I was denied it as a child. Nobody in my life decided I needed to know English, not ASL. I wasn't a deaf child, I was hearing child I'm now a deaf adult. That wasn't what Jane was saying......at all, you just jumped all over her shit and shoved a bunch of words in her mouth.

Thanks ambrosia! I wasn't sure how to restate it to get him to realize that I was talking about people like us that didn't need sign as a kid but now have enough loss to need captions. When I wrote it I thought that was going to be clear from my original statement!

Seems a bit "strange" to compare LEARNING -ASL et al to wearing a Hearing aid/Cochlear Implant. To me very different activity. One presumably learning ASL takes a much time to"master the "signs".
The speed of which kids learn speech -highly specific to prior parental activity.

that is a classic hearing's assumption of sign

Grummer, not everybody that is HoH/deaf grew up that way. I'm a perfect example. I'm deaf, I don't know sign, I need captions. I don't not now sign because I was denied it as a child. Nobody in my life decided I needed to know English, not ASL. I wasn't a deaf child, I was hearing child I'm now a deaf adult. That wasn't what Jane was saying......at all, you just jumped all over her shit and shoved a bunch of words in her mouth.

oh....i wasnt seeing that you were a hearing child then late deafened, of course that would be different.

my intention of this rephrasing...was to show a different perspective, a perspective which language needs sometimes are actually more important than speech needs for many deaf children , otherwise...the times spent on speech training is wasted, which could have gone into learning things, signs comes alot faster and easier, and so would other 'same-quavalent' content learning as would a hearing child may learn about in school.

sorry both of you, never meant offense, just it was the way i think , when i saw those words, and what it meant philosophically...
never mind..., and again...
im a bit confused..you said you were hearing, and then you said just before hoh/deaf? which one were you?

but again...the lines gets very...blurred...i can 'see that' too...

Back