HOw does it work buying a car in Michigan?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
You see, I am an Illinois resident. I go to Michigan quite often to visit my girlfriend. I would like to buy a car there. I've bought 2 cars out there. What I did is that I took title with me back to Chicago, got Illinois license plate via DMV. I then bought plates with me the next time and drove it back to Chicago, no problem.

I'm wondering if I can just do it in Michigan instead of going to Illinois DMV. I don't think I can get Illinois plates via Michigan DMV. What have you done in the past??

Michigan issues Michigan plates. Illinois issues Illinois plates. If you're a resident of Illinois, you want Illinois plates.

Each states issues the plates of its own state, not other states.

You should be able to purchase the car in Michigan and drive it back to Illinois with the bill of sale. Then, in Illinois, go to the DMV and get the plates. There should be no reason to make an extra trip.

Hubby bought a van in Michigan, and with the bill of sale drove it home to South Carolina. At the SC DMV, he got plates. No problem.

Why did you have to go to Chicago for the plates? Don't you have a DMV in Evanston?

There is DMV in Chicago. None in Evanston. WE do have currency exchange in Evanston though. I didn't make extra trip for the car.

I'm guessing that bill of sale is good for 72 hours only. Maybe less? Also, plates or not, I think a person has to get insurance on the car before driving it to Chicago, right? If pulled over, they would get in trouble for not having insurance even though they've bill of sale.

There is DMV in Chicago. None in Evanston...
Wow. Even in my podunk SC town we have several near-by DMV branches, and online DMV. :giggle:

I'm guessing that bill of sale is good for 72 hours only. Maybe less? Also, plates or not, I think a person has to get insurance on the car before driving it to Chicago, right? If pulled over, they would get in trouble for not having insurance even though they've bill of sale.
Don't guess. Contact your local DMV and ask. I wouldn't drive a car without insurance, whether it was legal or not.

It took Hubby at least two days to drive home from MI, and he didn't leave there the same day that he bought the van. I'm pretty sure it was more than 72 hours before he went to the SC DMV. But you need to check with your state. It might have different laws.

Services for Motorists

Title & Registration

Mandatory Insurance

Back to 1990's, My ex-boss bought a brand new Chevy 3500 truck like that pix.

0508st_07_z+chevy_3500_photo_shoot+lowered_chevy_truck.jpg

He's living in California. He don't like expensive tag license fee in California state. He traveled to Arizona state with his truck and he signed a register AZ license plate and cheaper fee and affordable better than California. he still living in California alongs his AZ license plate Truck.

There is DMV in Chicago. None in Evanston. WE do have currency exchange in Evanston though. I didn't make extra trip for the car.

When I bought my van in Michigan, I called State Farm Ins. and they said as long as I carry full coverage, it covers me on any car I drive. They also said no need to give them heads up on what I drive. I had my other car insurance card with me.

Whenever I've bought a new car, I just called my insurance company from the dealership and added the new car, no problem. It has nothing to do with the license plates; they just needed the VIN number from the car.

When you buy a car in Michigan, you should be able to get temporary plates (those white cardboard plates you put in the back window) either directly from the dealer or from the Michigan DMV when you and the seller complete the sales transactions. The temp plates are good for 30 days.

Whenever I've bought a new car, I just called my insurance company from the dealership and added the new car, no problem. It has nothing to do with the license plates; they just needed the VIN number from the car.

When you buy a car in Michigan, you should be able to get temporary plates (those white cardboard plates you put in the back window) either directly from the dealer or from the Michigan DMV when you and the seller complete the sales transactions. The temp plates are good for 30 days.
I guess I assumed he was talking about used cars that he bought from a private seller. In that case, he wouldn't get a temporary dealer plate but just a bill of sale.

In SC, the temporary dealer plate is good for 45 days and is supposed to be attached where a regular plate would be, not in a back window (too hard to read).

That's why he needs to check on the laws for states involved. Each one is different.

Yes, that's true.

And of course you're right about the plates supposed to be attached where regular plates would go. I see them in people's back windows all the time, though, and wrote that out before I thought about it!

Anyway, as you said, best source of information would be Michigan's DMV itself.

Back to 1990's, My ex-boss bought a brand new Chevy 3500 truck like that pix.

0508st_07_z+chevy_3500_photo_shoot+lowered_chevy_truck.jpg

He's living in California. He don't like expensive tag license fee in California state. He traveled to Arizona state with his truck and he signed a register AZ license plate and cheaper fee and affordable better than California. he still living in California alongs his AZ license plate Truck.

how did he get Arizona plate? You need to have Arizona driver license and Arizona home address to get Arizona plate.

I have a feeling that what your ex-boss did is illegal.

how did he get Arizona plate? You need to have Arizona driver license and Arizona home address to get Arizona plate.

I guess his relatives were living in Arizona for racing boat event. They were support him for fix his budget and he use to towing his racing boat to AZ for events. Also, I noticed a Police officer visited his office for just say hello. He don't care about nothing wrong with illegal his AZ plate truck.

racing boat events like that pix. (V8 engines are too loud without muffer)
ShowImage.aspx

I agree. He probably used his relatives address or po box.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You REALLY should be getting temp plates before going anywhere. Its illegal in NYS to drive any vehicle with no plates or previous owner plates although it been done all the time.
What I did once with car out of state is tow it back with a dolly since I was in the area visiting and its cheaper in gas/tolls to tow it back .THEN I went to NYS DMV after getting insurance on car.

What dereks did is fine since he was in the area anyways and its perfectly fine since it fits his lifestyle. He is able to avoid the hassle of getting temp plates and avoid extra fees, unless he literally drove back and forth in one day to do all that.

...This is exactly what I was going to say. You REALLY should be getting temp plates before going anywhere.
If you buy your car from a dealer, yes.

Each state is different but in SC, individuals don't issue temporary plates; only dealers do. When a person goes to the DMV with a bill of sale, he gets a permanent plate. It's just one trip to the DMV.

What dereks did is fine since he was in the area anyways and its perfectly fine since it fits his lifestyle.
If he's satisfied doing it that way, that's fine. :)

He is able to avoid the hassle of getting temp plates and avoid extra fees, unless he literally drove back and forth in one day to do all that.
No hassle here. If a person buys a car at a dealership, the plate is put on the car before it leaves the lot. If a person buys from an individual, there is no temp plate but a bill of sale. The new owner takes that to the DMV and gets a regular plate.

I agree. He probably used his relatives address or po box.
Interesting. The registration forms we use require an address where the vehicle will be housed. Even a smart car can't be parked in a P.O. box. :giggle:

I received the RO papers (work papers) for smog checks, often see no DMV renewal paper attach to the RO paper. I check the license plates for expired or current tags, will tell customer to go to DMV to get papers (white papers)... why? They use the vehicles under previous owner's name, want a smog certification to sell the vehicle without pay DMV fees like tag or change of ownership (title transfer). Some smart customers bullies me, like they says "I forget a DMV renewal paper at home". I show customer my note "Bring DMV papers with you". Too bad. Dst

I received the RO papers (work papers) for smog checks, often see no DMV renewal paper attach to the RO paper. I check the license plates for expired or current tags, will tell customer to go to DMV to get papers (white papers)... why? They use the vehicles under previous owner's name, want a smog certification to sell the vehicle without pay DMV fees like tag or change of ownership (title transfer). Some smart customers bullies me, like they says "I forget a DMV renewal paper at home". I show customer my note "Bring DMV papers with you". Too bad. Dst
Another good reason for checking what the laws are for each state. Your state is quite different from mine. There are no smog certifications or safety inspections required here.

What works in one state won't work in another.

Not really. All you need to do is have a property in the state.

Be careful buying cars from individuals. Always get a car fax. The seller should accompany you to the state office to transfer title and sign the title transfer there.

A guy told me that he bought a car from a person who is Mexican. She did not sign the title. She's no where to be found (allegedly she is in Mexico, and most likely committing fraud where ever she is). Now, he's holding a fake title. The car is likely salvaged (with a few cosmetic changes) or in the country illegally. She did not pay the sales tax, which is why she didn't want to go to the title office (besides the obvious fraud).

Each state is different, so contact your local offices. Use common sense.

Back