How Does Being Deaf Help You?

Because being deaf-blind isn't exactly 'the cutest thing ever'- and tactile signing ('holding hands' so to speak...) is their means of communication- or for many deaf-blind. It's one way for DB folks to interact.

#1 may be true in general but I know a few DHH people who also happen to be ADHD.

I thought the world supported such improvements, but I don't see that happening everywhere. Do you know if it's easier to find employment in the area around Washington DC where Gallaudet and NTID is located? I would think there is more awareness, but I could be wrong. I am curious though if you have heard anything.

You'd think but seems people in general are plain afraid of anything different than themselves. It might be easier to find employment in DC/MD/VA as there's a larger deaf community there (Gallaudet being part of the reason why). Same would be true for Rochester NY where NTID is. Most major cities do have a bigger deaf community so opportunities may work there. Finding a job where there is a 50% or more deaf employees or deaf owned is harder though.

Also depends on what field of work you are in. Some are harder to get a job in (for many reasons). I'm in IT and still looking; it feels like there's 2, maybe 3 strikes against me from the start but..hey- I'll keep looking. The income I have now is not liveable at all.

The benefits of having hearing far outweigh the benefits (if any) of not having hearing. To me personally, the only benefit of lack of hearing is being able to sleep in noisy environments like on a plane, hotel, or bus. However, it can also be more dangerous as well.

The benefits of having hearing far outweigh the benefits (if any) of not having hearing. To me personally, the only benefit of lack of hearing is being able to sleep in noisy environments like on a plane, hotel, or bus. However, it can also be more dangerous as well.

Only if you let it be dangerous. There are ways now to reduce the "danger factor" for the deaf person.

I was an electrical construction worker for 32 years. The inability to hear was always difficult to overcome in that environment. The good was that in general people did not wish to chit chat and waste my time. The bad was I missed a lot of good jokes.

I was an electrical construction worker for 32 years. The inability to hear was always difficult to overcome in that environment. The good was that in general people did not wish to chit chat and waste my time. The bad was I missed a lot of good jokes.
I miss out on getting a better paying job at GE and had to settle for boring lower paying job b/c of being HOH , I miss out on a lot good jokes and stories too.

Back