How Does Being Deaf Help You?

Muse

Reaction score
People (mostly hearing) tell me often why being hearing is better. I'd love to know the other side too. What are some benefits of being Deaf?

Aside from Mrs. Scrooge up there.. sure there are benefits if you look at it positively...

1. You can sleep through anything in general (minus lights flashing).
2. You won't get much hearing damage from rock concerts (I don't have that much left to lose...)
3. If you know ASL- you can use that anywhere where verbal communication is impossible.
4. Able to dress up hearing aids if you can afford to. They come in all sorts of colors now- both aid and mold.
5. You can selectively pick what you want to listen to or not. Arguing co-workers? Hm.. flip to off if you have HAs... you don't have to bother with having to overhear so much gossip or crap at work or in family (though the downside is you are usually the last to know important info/good news sometimes).

It's all a matter of how you look at it. You can either view it negatively and grump all your life or find ways to make it better and adapt to yourself. I'm used to it- it's part of who I am so it's a natural process and a little hard to figure out what "benefits" there are other than the above, but there ARE benefits.

Yep, I make sure there's a mute program on my HAs. If it gets too noisy, I just mute the sounds and let my brain take a rest.

I'll add my hearing comments on your advantages.

1 The ability not to be distracted by sound, I tend to have to listen in when I hear something.

2. The ability to visualise your thoughts, I can imagine you would be better at like seeing or preparing a PowerPoint or so and make sure the message gets across and sticks.

3. Because of ge struggles most of you unfortunately have been through, better at rationalising or coping with smaller or bigger little things that happen in life and not have them keep you from being happy

4 Added - noticing a lot more things in General the beauty in art, nature also for some/ a lot of you being able to pick up people's true color even though they may gift wrap them in beautifull words

Deaf Ducky said it perfectly. I am early deafened (since birth) so there's a lot I've never heard, and I'm totally good with that.

If it gets too noisy, I just mute the sounds and let my brain take a rest.

brain-at-rest.jpg

I wouldn't call it a benefit......because I'd rather not hearing not be an option but lemons and all that.

One day last week I was doing a couples massage with another therapist. The man my coworker was working on fell asleep. Omg his snoring was hilarious. SOOOO loud, like, it was a cartoon, not even real. Maybe if bears snored, hell, maybe they do I have no idea haha but I imagine a bear would snore like that. I was starting to have a hard time containing my laughter. I popped my magnets off, my head piece for my CI. Not because I didn't want to listen to him but because I was in danger of laughing out loud.

It's already been said, but not being bothered by noise pollution is a real plus. I live in a train town, and the blast horns crossing every street. It wakes my wife--but not me.

There are always traffic noises I don't have to put up with.

I work at home as a book editor and need to concentrate. It's a snap. If the television is on, I simply don't look up until I need a break.

I go to Catholic mass. No problem, because 90% of the service is printed in the missal for me to follow along in silence while crying babies drive others crazy :pissed::dizzy: :ohno:

Some people wish they could turn their hearing off. It's nice not to hear, so you can relax and sleep better whenever you want. I don't like the barriers in this world because of it.

Being able to watch foreign movies with English subtitles without being distracted by spoken languages. :thumb:

My favourite pastime is watching Korean Drama Series - guaranteed English subtitles. So frustrating when my hearing family puts on a movie and there are no captions. I compensate with watching KDS or Netflix on my phone tablet. Occasionally, I will hit the jackpot and have the same movie the family have on tv, on my phone. I sync it so I have my own capti-view (like in cinemas/movie theaters). Then i can watch on the big tv screen together with the family, while having the captions to read on my phone. Where there is a will there is a way!

Last edited:
Some people wish they could turn their hearing off. It's nice not to hear, so you can relax and sleep better whenever you want. I don't like the barriers in this world because of it.

The barriers can be easily prevented with the technology we have now but most hearing people are unable to go that extra effort to communicate in a different way.

The barriers can be easily prevented with the technology we have now but most hearing people are unable to go that extra effort to communicate in a different way.

I thought the world supported such improvements, but I don't see that happening everywhere. Do you know if it's easier to find employment in the area around Washington DC where Gallaudet and NTID is located? I would think there is more awareness, but I could be wrong. I am curious though if you have heard anything.

I'm hearing (hope it's ok to post here then?), but am taking ASL and have been thinking a lot about the benefits of being Deaf:
1.) Improved attention span, since you have to be constantly looking at the signer
2.) A but specific but Deaf-Blind people communicate by basically signing and holding hands and that honestly sounds like the cutest thing ever.
3.) Not hearing weird noises people make.
4.) Signing keeps your hands occupied, so for someone like me who has a bad habit of picking at my nails etc that's fantastic :D

I'm hearing (hope it's ok to post here then?), but am taking ASL and have been thinking a lot about the benefits of being Deaf:
1.) Improved attention span, since you have to be constantly looking at the signer
2.) A but specific but Deaf-Blind people communicate by basically signing and holding hands and that honestly sounds like the cutest thing ever.
3.) Not hearing weird noises people make.
4.) Signing keeps your hands occupied, so for someone like me who has a bad habit of picking at my nails etc that's fantastic :D
#2 makes me incredibly sad.

Back