How do you sign...

Does placing the sign for the letter F on your forehead mean anything?

Thank you

clueless. know nothing. "i have no idea".

Are there any signs for autism-related concepts like echolalia, meltdowns, special interests, or stimming? I really don't want to fingerspell E-C-H-O-L-A-L-I-A every time somebody asks why I'm signing at no one.
I have no idea. you can just make up your own sign for it. we just created a new sign for Ebola.

Also, completely different question: How would you sign the English expression "I got this" meaning "I am capable of handling this situation"?
understand. know-know. can-can. can-handle.

I would go like this - "know-know. don't worry. I-can. calm-down." lol

Really? I remember some hearing chick came up and asked us "How do you say 'sexy'", didn't say "how do you sign". Maybe it is difference between American and British.

my gal signed "sexy" to me like this - "sex"-y. that's not really how you sign it but oh well. too English

How would one translate the idiom "talk the talk and walk the walk" into ASL? Any ideas? :)

there's no ASL for that but you can be very expressive about it and there are several different ways to do it.

"YOU-taaaaaaalllllllllllllllkkkkkkkkkk-too much"

"talk talk talk talk. Action nothing"

"talk talk talk talk. dodo nothing"

"talk talk talk talk. sit back and do nothing (only one sign for that)"

or you can sign it in a very English (SEE) way.... :ugh:

my gal signed "sexy" to me like this - "sex"-y. that's not really how you sign it but oh well. too English

The way my teachers taught me is that you fingerspell the whole word, with a little movement like you're tracing a woman's curves.

The way my teachers taught me is that you fingerspell the whole word, with a little movement like you're tracing a woman's curves.

yes correct. you fingerspell the whole thing. but that's just "English".

in ASL - we sign "beautiful" and then describe her in details - ass, curves, bewbies, etc. in ASL, everything is in detail at great depth :lol:

Are there any signs for autism-related concepts like echolalia, meltdowns, special interests, or stimming? I really don't want to fingerspell E-C-H-O-L-A-L-I-A every time somebody asks why I'm signing at no one.

There might be but I've never seen them. I just saw a vlog the other day where someone was showing a (preferred/suggested)sign for the word autism itself.

I can't find the one I saw but came across this one- it only shows various signs for the word autism- still looking for something related to the terms. For echolalia- maybe fingerspell once then use signs associated with the meaning of the word- repeat words over over again or something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07p2ey2YgtE

Dang, couldn't find much googling- when I used to work as a 'social service worker' (among other things) at a residential facility I did have access to interpreter(s) but for the life of me I can no longer remember any signs that were specific to the field I was in (ie autism, developmentally delayed, MR etc etc) and the only sign I remember is autistic! Others were fingerspelled --> MR, CP etc

But it works. A friends nickname is Todie ... pronounced toadie ... I sign it using the frog + Y signs.

Does anyone know the regional New Orleans sign for "French Quarter"? My guy and I are going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras this year. =D

What's the sign for "Notre Dame" - that is, the the church in Paris, and not the school/football team here in the US :) Ditto with the Louvre? Thanks!

How would I sign Late Deafened. or indicate that I am? I apologize if this was already posted but I cant find an answer anywhere on-line.

I just had the sign for "post" in my lesson, and the website said it would apply to posting things on a billboard or something similar. I don't know if there are variations, this one uses the thumbs like you are pinning the top and bottom corners of a poster. Would it apply to online posts as well, or would that be something different?

Do you mean SEX + Y? (not S-E-X + Y)

That's a common way to sign it.

Back