How do you sign...

I dunno how much clout I have, but I'd sign "not" or "no" (likely "no") rather emphatically.

This is the opposite of "how do you sign", but I thought this would still be the place to post it.

I'll start with the context. A woman was discussing that she'd just had surgery, and that normal surgery would have involved a long hospital stay, but because she had a different type of surgery, she was home in one day. She mouthed the type of surgery, and it was not laproscropic. The mouthing kind of looked like "roommate". I'll try to describe the sign she used:

both hands B handshape, fingers oriented forward, palms facing each other, each hand on its own side of the body but located a little closer to center than the arms would hang naturally. Elbows bending and hands alternatingly slice down through space (torso height).

This is online, but the video is on a website where you have to register to see it. Registration is free, but I didn't want to post a link that wouldn't work directly. If someone wants the link, let me know. (It's part of the OICmovies.com website.)

Thanks!

This is the opposite of "how do you sign", but I thought this would still be the place to post it.

I'll start with the context. A woman was discussing that she'd just had surgery, and that normal surgery would have involved a long hospital stay, but because she had a different type of surgery, she was home in one day. She mouthed the type of surgery, and it was not laproscropic. The mouthing kind of looked like "roommate". I'll try to describe the sign she used:

both hands B handshape, fingers oriented forward, palms facing each other, each hand on its own side of the body but located a little closer to center than the arms would hang naturally. Elbows bending and hands alternatingly slice down through space (torso height).

This is online, but the video is on a website where you have to register to see it. Registration is free, but I didn't want to post a link that wouldn't work directly. If someone wants the link, let me know. (It's part of the OICmovies.com website.)

Thanks!

Perhaps "Robotics" (such as the "da Vinci robotic surgeries") which is a type of computer/animatronic assisted surgery that is more precise than can be done "by hand")

Perhaps "Robotics" (such as the "da Vinci robotic surgeries") which is a type of computer/animatronic assisted surgery that is more precise than can be done "by hand")

That makes perfect sense - thanks Anij!

I'm trying to find away to sign a word, but all I've got is the literal meaning and I can't make sense of it. Anyone willing to give it a try? The literal meaning is "Above beauty delicate to-atone educable".

I'm trying to find away to sign a word, but all I've got is the literal meaning and I can't make sense of it. Anyone willing to give it a try? The literal meaning is "Above beauty delicate to-atone educable".

What is "to-atone" ? I never saw that word before.

I'm guessing this is why you want to know...
You'd just fingerspell "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (and perhaps first say "fancy long word from the movie Mary Poppins")

What is "to-atone" ? I never saw that word before.

It's just so you know that the words delicate and to atone are separate. I didn't know how else to do that. Perhaps a comma might work "Above beauty delicate, to atone educable"?

I'm guessing this is why you want to know...
You'd just fingerspell "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (and perhaps first say "fancy long word from the movie Mary Poppins")

I don't think I'd be able fingerspell it without losing track of where I am within the word. Right now, I can only fingerspell 1 to 5 letter words and very slowly.

I don't think I'd be able fingerspell it without losing track of where I am within the word. Right now, I can only fingerspell 1 to 5 letter words and very slowly.

It's a "nonsense word" - so there's no point in bothering with a literal translation anyway. The meaning is irrelevant within the song (and movie) and elaborating on it's purposed etymological roots won't be beneficial for context or understanding for either hearing or deaf people.

It's a "nonsense word" - so there's no point in bothering with a literal translation anyway. The meaning is irrelevant within the song (and movie) and elaborating on it's purposed etymological roots won't be beneficial for context or understanding for either hearing or deaf people.

I just thought it'd be fun, that's all. :Oops:

I just thought it'd be fun, that's all. :Oops:

No worries - If you want to have fun with it yourself, great!
Just realize that it won't make sense to anyone:)

Just so you know, typically with complicated, or very specific words (that don't have an accepted ASL sign) they are spelled out in ASL.

You wouldn't ever smoosh bunch of ASL signs together to create a single word (Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious being a good example)

Have fun with it though. Since you're new to fingerspelling etc, I'd use it as a great word to practice fingerspelling with ;)

How would one translate the idiom "talk the talk and walk the walk" into ASL? Any ideas? :)

Really? I remember some hearing chick came up and asked us "How do you say 'sexy'", didn't say "how do you sign". Maybe it is difference between American and British.

Are there any signs for autism-related concepts like echolalia, meltdowns, special interests, or stimming? I really don't want to fingerspell E-C-H-O-L-A-L-I-A every time somebody asks why I'm signing at no one. Also, completely different question: How would you sign the English expression "I got this" meaning "I am capable of handling this situation"?

Back