How do you sign...

My Deaf tutor signs it with a quick and short 'good' from chin out about 6-8" and then the same action using the 25 handshape to/from the chin ('favorite').

My Deaf tutor signs it with a quick and short 'good' from chin out about 6-8" and then the same action using the 25 handshape to/from the chin ('favorite').
That's the way I do it, too.

I have seen GOOD L-U-C-K, also.

yup. same. although I don't do "good". I say "good luck" while signing "luck".

How do you sign "That's lucky" or "good luck"?

Lifeprint says you sign "good" spell l-u-c-k.
Signsavvy is showing a video with same video as "favorite"
but for fortunate, the sign they are showing is a combination of "favorite" and then the hand falls down like in the sign "bad".

:thumb:

That's another sign 'good l-u-c-k', but u don't show 'fingerspell'.

I know plenty of situations in which "good luck" is signed (by native ASL signers) with luck fingerspelled L U C K for emphasis! Just because it might not be used in your area, doesn't make it "wrong"

:roll:

Last edited:
That's another sign 'good l-u-c-k', but u don't show 'fingerspell'.
It's not necessary. Standard notation for ASL is signs are all caps (GOOD), and finger spelled words are hyphenated (L-U-C-K). I followed standard notation rules.

My deaf friend who is an ASL teacher teaches the "25" handshape touching the chin and turning to palm-out is "lucky", but signs "GOOD l-u-c-k". I have also seen him in a similar context sign "GOOD" and then bring his hand to a "10" shape fist with thumb up, but don't know if it was more of "okay, good, go get 'em" sort of thing than actually "good luck".

Here in San Diego, I've been told by my Deaf teacher and some friends what kellycat says. The open-8 handshape touching the chin and turning out is "lucky" or "fortunate" but not "luck" as a noun. Good luck is GOOD + fingerspelled L-U-C-K or GOOD followed by thumbs-up (open-A) handshape.

In which context? (medical situation or faith/religion etc)
Sorry, I posted too quickly. :giggle:

Preaching context, as "Tonight we will learn what the Bible says about . . . and the occult."

Sorry, I posted too quickly. :giggle:

Preaching context, as "Tonight we will learn what the Bible says about . . . and the occult."

"Occult" is such a vague term (properly defined .. it just means a knowing of something that is "hidden" or "secret" ... it isn't a "bad thing", it's just something that isn't "in plain sight" )

(I'm a former theology student) In a religious setting I'd stay with fingerspelling it - I know that's not especially helpful.

Back