How do you sign...

I'm wondering how to sign ASTROLOGY. ASTRONOMY is STAR+STUDY, so perhaps STAR+STUDY, then fs-ASTROLOGY? Or, if astrology is the stars' effect on personality, emotions, etc., perhaps STAR+STUDY WHAT? PERSONALITY, EMOTION???

Guessing here...any sage advice? :)
I don't know how sage my advice is but . . . :giggle:

I would incorporate BELIEF STARS INFLUENCE PEOPLE, BEHAVIOR, EVENTS, depending on the context of the entire statement. It depends on context, setting, and people involved in the communication.

Judging from the context there's this sign that can mean "it is," or "you are." Basically, you start out with the letter "D" hand shape facing outward and your index finger bows twice. Help, anyone?

Judging from the context there's this sign that can mean "it is," or "you are." Basically, you start out with the letter "D" hand shape facing outward and your index finger bows twice. Help, anyone?

I'm not clear on the visual of 'd' facing outward - could you explain a little more? The only sign I can think of that incorporates the 'd' with the index finger 'bowing' is what-to-do/what are you doing (but in that case the 'd' is (what I would call) upside down.

I'm not clear on the visual of 'd' facing outward - could you explain a little more? The only sign I can think of that incorporates the 'd' with the index finger 'bowing' is what-to-do/what are you doing (but in that case the 'd' is (what I would call) upside down.

I shouldn't have said "facing outward," that's just confusing things. The letter D is always facing outward of course, sorry :giggle: was just trying too hard to be clear. Anyway, it's just the letter D, and that same index finger bows twice... also the hand is stationary, so it's definitely not "ask you." This has been driving me crazy for years now. The only context I can give is I was playing a game with some gent years back and I almost scored, and he signed NEAR, and then the mystery sign. Every other time I've seen the sign is on youtube videos, but I can't remember which ones now :(

Nope!

It wouldn't have been the number 20 would it?

:eek3:

YES. Thank you! We were playing Crocono so that would make perfect sense. I guess it's been signed so fast I've never been able to catch the thumb moving too. Or maybe he was being sloppy at it? Whatever! You have made me very happy! And embarrassed.

Cheers :D

Yeah for a mystery solved! And never be embarrassed when asking questions, that's how we all learn! (at least that is my philosophy) :)

Oh - and the sign for "escapade" (meaning an act or incident involving excitement, daring, and/or adventure)? Like WHAT'S-UP (adventure) and ESCAPE?

What is the sign for sea turtle?
Cup one palm over the other (palms facing down). Thumbs extended out to the sides. Rotate thumbs around like their flippers paddling. At the same time, rotate your forearms up and down like the turtle is riding the waves.

Cup one palm over the other (palms facing down). Thumbs extended out to the sides. Rotate thumbs around like their flippers paddling. At the same time, rotate your forearms up and down like the turtle is riding the waves.

Thank you!

removed: I got lucky and met a signer on my way back from school and she helped me figure out what I was confused about. So no more need for this post. :)

Last edited:
How do you sign "That's lucky" or "good luck"?

Lifeprint says you sign "good" spell l-u-c-k.
Signsavvy is showing a video with same video as "favorite"
but for fortunate, the sign they are showing is a combination of "favorite" and then the hand falls down like in the sign "bad".

Back