How do you sign...

You guys are so blessed to have all these resources to help you learn ASL. I feel like I was learning during the Stone Age. :giggle:

"Back in my day" the most technology available for learning ASL was books and VHS tapes. That was about it. And there weren't that many of those either. Classes and workshops were harder to find, and weren't consistent in quality.

Now, there's the internet with forums, like AllDeaf, online video dictionary sites like aslpro, signingsavvy, lifeprint, and handspeak, and examples of real life signing on vlogs, and youtube. You can buy, check out, or borrow DVD's, and you can chat with deaf friends via videocameras. It's great!

There are so many youtube ASL videos that I can't keep up with them. That's a good problem to have. :)

I know, and I do appreciate it. I did first learn sign language back in the stone age, too- books and video tapes! That was 1980-82.

So I know what a blessing it is to have all these resources at my fingertips. But I also know how much more easily I learned new signs, and how much more flexible my fingers and shoulders were back in 1980-82.:lol:

You guys are so blessed to have all these resources to help you learn ASL. I feel like I was learning during the Stone Age. :giggle:

"Back in my day" the most technology available for learning ASL was books and VHS tapes. That was about it. And there weren't that many of those either. Classes and workshops were harder to find, and weren't consistent in quality.

Now, there's the internet with forums, like AllDeaf, online video dictionary sites like aslpro, signingsavvy, lifeprint, and handspeak, and examples of real life signing on vlogs, and youtube. You can buy, check out, or borrow DVD's, and you can chat with deaf friends via videocameras. It's great!

There are so many youtube ASL videos that I can't keep up with them. That's a good problem to have. :)

I know!!
being able to pop online, find basically anything you need, see how to correctly form the sign, compare multiple sites for regional and stylistic differences etc ... just wow (I learned before the days of internet, cell phones, VPs etc ... )

In some ways though, I kinda miss the "good old days" - before online video sign dictionaries etc ASL students HAD to get out into the Deaf Community if they wanted to learn. There was no such thing as "I'll just post on a message board and someone will give me the answers", all without actually MEETING a "Deaf Person" in real life or even having to use any ASL at all to ask and see the answers!!!

It was better back then ... we where expected to get together, attend events, meet the other ASL teachers, find out about and attend various ASL functions and support the ASL/Deaf/Hoh community.

It's easier now to find and use resources, but I'm not entirely sure it's "better" in terms of what learning ASL is suppose to be about :(

Last edited:
Hmm is there a specific sign for "spoiler" (inside info about future TV and movie episodes, hence the word "spoil-er" meaning to spoil the surprise)?

Context please. (Yes, I know what it is but context is still helpful.)

I wouldn't spell it without a description, probably incorporating classifiers.

Why use pm?

This was a pretty long thread. I thought it would be a lot easier.But thank you ^_^

I thought I posted this question yesterday, but now I can't find it. In one of my many different routes to learn sign, I've mentioned that we have some Mormon missionaries, one of whom says she is proficient, coming to the house twice a week to tutor us, all of us, our kids, my husband, me. This is cool. However, I am not 100% sure about their proficiency, so I asked her to interpret a memory verse my kids are working on into sign language for me.

I am not trying to discuss the theology. I just want to know if it looks like an accurate interpretation.

English:
"Thus says the Lord the king of Israel, and his redeemer the lord of hosts; I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God."

ASL translation she gave me:
"Exact, Lord, King, Area Israel, his, redeemer, Lord, High up,* say, myself, first, and, also/same, myself, last."

The * denotes a body shift. I am confused by two things- first, the sign exact for 'thus,' although the more I think about it the more I can see why that could work. but secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything at all in the ASL version representing the last clause in the English version.

If I were going to sign that last clause, would it just be 'me, God, only, God? Or something else?

What's the ASL equivalency for "one day...."?

context - "One day.... you could get killed."

You know, out of curiosity, how WOULD you sign "high" as in "stoned"? "She went and got high."

h-sign moving from bottom of your face to top of your head (but your fingers don't touch your face)

English:
"Thus says the Lord the king of Israel, and his redeemer the lord of hosts; I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God."

ASL translation she gave me:
"Exact, Lord, King, Area Israel, his, redeemer, Lord, High up,* say, myself, first, and, also/same, myself, last."

The * denotes a body shift. I am confused by two things- first, the sign exact for 'thus,' although the more I think about it the more I can see why that could work. but secondly, there doesn't seem to be anything at all in the ASL version representing the last clause in the English version.

If I were going to sign that last clause, would it just be 'me, God, only, God? Or something else?

I am not the full ASL expert, making me wonder why I feel I should put in my two cents, but I have been obsessively watching our one AMAZING interpreter at church, so I'm trying to channel her here, and want to try my hand. Please feel free to pounce all over me if this would be a bad interpretation, but I would have gone with something like:

True Lord, himself king Israel, savior, lord angels, announce, I *first *last, myself God only. (or maybe "first before everything, last forever" and at the end add "other god? None, me only")

I don't know that your original shows proficiency or a lack thereof, but it doesn't translate the last part of the phrase, which does seem a relevant bit that would be worth interpreting.

...English:
The following are suggestions, not set in concrete. I haven't included all the grammar details, just the basic glossed concepts. This isn't necessarily THE way to sign it.

First, set up who is speaking. Then, the actual statement.

LORD/JEHOVAH, HIMSELF (index) KING OF ISRAEL PEOPLE, HIS (index) REDEEMER CONTROLS ANGEL GROUPS.

TRULY, HE (index) SAYS, (body shift) "I MYSELF CONTINUE, SINCE FIRST (show progression left to right, thru) LAST.

(rhetorical question/answer)--OTHER GOD? NO, NONE. MYSELF, ONLY."

(Of course, use appropriate facial expressions and grammar.)

How do you sign "heartbroken"? I'm heartbroken. She's heartbroken.

Lemme take a guess... sign "break" in front of your heart?

How do you sign "heartbroken"? I'm heartbroken. She's heartbroken.

Lemme take a guess... sign "break" in front of your heart?

Make a shape of a typical heart with both of your index fingers and then sign 'BREAK'... yup in front of your heart. :(

How do you sign "heartbroken"? I'm heartbroken. She's heartbroken....
To convey someone is heartbroken, you can use various combinations of signs and facial expressions to show extreme sorrow, agony, grief or despair. One that I use is the twisting motion of GRIEF in front of the heart. Example:

TOUCH-HEART (with a stabbing motion) GRIEF

Make a shape of a typical heart with both of your index fingers ....
That's the sign for the physical heart or making a heart shape, not the emotional heart. The emotional heart shape uses the TOUCH hand shapes.

How would I sign either of the following two passages? (I have an assignment due Monday (signing a book), and I foolishly forgot to ask my ASL teacher about this, even though I remembered to ask about adoption and Korea. :P)

"Hello, my name is Nico. Actually, Nicola, but everyone calls me Nico."

and

"My sister's name is Angelica. We call her Angel, but if you ask me, she's no angel. Sometimes, she drives me BONKERS!"

I'm mostly having trouble with the "we call her" nickname-type stuff. (And I know how to sign the "my name is" sentence. I only included it for reference.)

EDIT: And also "Sometimes we wear our special Korean outfits." I can think of a couple ways to sign it, but none feels right. :P

The following are suggestions, not set in concrete. I haven't included all the grammar details, just the basic glossed concepts. This isn't necessarily THE way to sign it.

First, set up who is speaking. Then, the actual statement.

LORD/JEHOVAH, HIMSELF (index) KING OF ISRAEL PEOPLE, HIS (index) REDEEMER CONTROLS ANGEL GROUPS.

TRULY, HE (index) SAYS, (body shift) "I MYSELF CONTINUE, SINCE FIRST (show progression left to right, thru) LAST.

(rhetorical question/answer)--OTHER GOD? NO, NONE. MYSELF, ONLY."

(Of course, use appropriate facial expressions and grammar.)

:ty: This helps!! In fact, the different versions give me a glimmer, just a glimmer, a tantalizing glimmer, into the elusive mysteries of ASL grammar.

Kellycat, I had a chance to ask why the last part of the verse wasn't even included. It was essentially an accident. She thought I added it, that it wasn't in the original, so she left it out. She fixed it.=)

Back