How do you sign...

Are you serious??? :lol:
I saw a sign where you make a "C" with one hand and use two fingers from the other hand for a flapping tongue inside it. Was not sure if it was "audist", though.

No , Kidding. But I would propose it as a good one. :)

I saw a sign where you make a "C" with one hand and use two fingers from the other hand for a flapping tongue inside it. Was not sure if it was "audist", though.
I've seen that used for someone who runs the mouth while signing.

Sign for 'Duh'

Is there a sign for 'duh'? I know it's not a real word, so I'm not sure if there is a real ASL sign. I know people do the gesture by hitting the side of your hand on your chest, but I'm sure that's not a real sign.

Anyone know a good sign for "corruption"? Came up in our Book Club recently.

Hey guys,

Very novice signer here (about 3 hours of in-class instruction), but I already have tonnes of questions. I wondered if someone could help me out with these two:

1) In class, we signed "exchange personal information". When the teacher signed personal, he did something like moving an A-shaped hand (I think :P) from the left side of his chest to the right side of his chest. I was trying to look it up online, but the sign I keep seeing is an A-shaped hand with big finger directed towards the signer, at mouth level. What gives? Which one is correct and why can't I find the other one?

2) When we were learning how to sign "your name what?", the teacher used this one for "what": Sign for WHAT | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary and this is also what our textbook uses. But in other places I see this sign: Sign for WHAT | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary Are those two interchangeable?

Thank you!

Hey guys,

Very novice signer here (about 3 hours of in-class instruction), but I already have tonnes of questions. I wondered if someone could help me out with these two:

1) In class, we signed "exchange personal information". When the teacher signed personal, he did something like moving an A-shaped hand (I think :P) from the left side of his chest to the right side of his chest. I was trying to look it up online, but the sign I keep seeing is an A-shaped hand with big finger directed towards the signer, at mouth level. What gives? Which one is correct and why can't I find the other one?

2) When we were learning how to sign "your name what?", the teacher used this one for "what": Sign for WHAT | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary and this is also what our textbook uses. But in other places I see this sign: Sign for WHAT | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary Are those two interchangeable?

Thank you!

It seems your instructor was signing "ourselves", like "information-ourselves-exchange".

Both are acceptable forms of "what". I see the first (palms up, hands gently moved in and out) more casually used, and the second more commonly followed by a place or thing to be identified (what is that?).

I gladly defer to those with more knowledge and experience. :hmm:

I have been trying to find...and have so far looked on numerous websites, in my Canadian Dictionary of ASL and everywhere else I could think of... for the sign for "equals"..as in 5+5 = 10... I know the sign for "equal" used as
"They are equal partners" or "This is equal to that".... but I am wondering if there is a different sign to convey the other meaning of equals...

Anyone?
TIA

I have been trying to find...and have so far looked on numerous websites, in my Canadian Dictionary of ASL and everywhere else I could think of... for the sign for "equals"..as in 5+5 = 10... I know the sign for "equal" used as
"They are equal partners" or "This is equal to that".... but I am wondering if there is a different sign to convey the other meaning of equals...

Anyone?
TIA
EQUALS equals "equals" for all forms. :)

EQUALS equals "equals" for all forms. :)

Thank you! I ended up finding a website which explained that, but I wasn't sure before, because every dictionary/ website gave the definition in such a specific way that I wondered if there was a different sign!

This sign seems to be becoming accepted -
one hand (not dominant) in a fist, thumb up, and the other hand pointing to the ear then to the other hand "capping" it, and pushing it down a little.

This sign seems to be becoming accepted -
one hand (not dominant) in a fist, thumb up, and the other hand pointing to the ear then to the other hand "capping" it, and pushing it down a little.

Wow. Powerful. I will be using that sign. Thanks!

I have a question: in spoken English there are many synonyms of one word, many of them put the strength to the meaning. In sign language I have noticed that 1 sign represents many of them, how do you put emphasy in ASL. you know like important vs significant?

Facial expression. Also, make the sign outside of your usual signing area.

Back