How do you sign...

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
I like that. Except the god sign in Auslan disgusts me :P

The actual God sign in Auslan is the sign for "G" then the pointer finger pointing upwards above shoulder. :)

How would one sign the infamous tale-opener "There once was..."? Is there a format generally used like in many other languages?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the variation of "Once upon a time..." :)

What's the sign for "escapade" (meaning an act or incident involving excitement, daring, or adventurous)?

Hello, I'm a first year ASL student and I'm having trouble translating this story from English grammar to ASL grammar.

"Last week I went to the library. In the parking lot I saw my friend’s car, so I parked next to it. I went in the front door and went upstairs to the third floor. The study room was on the right side. My friend was there, and we studied sign language. When we finished, we went downstairs and bought a cup of coffee. I had a good time!"

Hello, I'm a first year ASL student and I'm having trouble translating this story from English grammar to ASL grammar.

"Last week I went to the library. In the parking lot I saw my friend’s car, so I parked next to it. I went in the front door and went upstairs to the third floor. The study room was on the right side. My friend was there, and we studied sign language. When we finished, we went downstairs and bought a cup of coffee. I had a good time!"
It seems pretty straight forward. It's already laid out in chronological order, short logical chunks, and basic vocabulary. It should be easy to translate.

Don't forget to indicate directions that you move.

Make sure you actually sign each chunk as you translate it on paper. Then, sign the whole thing to make sure it flows logically. Do you have a classmate to practice with? If you could take turns signing your translations to each other, it would be good way to check your work.

Other than the above suggestions, you have to do your own homework. I mean, really. You'll never learn if you don't do the work.

When we finished, we went downstairs and bought a cup of coffee. Is the only sentence I need help with, I'm not sure how to do compound sentences.

How do you sign "commemorate"?

Last edited:
Depending on the context, you can use REMEMBER, HONOR, or CELEBRATE.

Thanks!

It was for part of a church service:

"Commemorating our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life..."

Not sure which choice to go with.

And since I've started typing the passage out, Wikipedia tells me that Theotokos is synonymous with Virgin Mary- which I have a sign for from a member of the congregation. So I'm thinking just use that? Ignore the repetition and just chalk it up to English's typical over-wording of everything?

ps: it sounds like I'm interpreting for a church service, which I'm not. (Just saying since I want to be clear that I know that I'm not at that level of competence yet.) What I'm actually doing I'm going to save for PM's - TMI for the intrawebs.

Thanks!

It was for part of a church service:

"Commemorating our most holy, most pure, most blessed and glorious Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary with all the saints, let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life..."

Not sure which choice to go with.

And since I've started typing the passage out, Wikipedia tells me that Theotokos is synonymous for Virgin Mary- which I have a sign for from a member of the congregation. So I'm thinking just use that? Ignore the repetition and just chalk it up to English's typical over-wording of everything?

ps: it sounds like I'm interpreting for a church service, which I'm not. (Just saying since I want to be clear that I know that I'm not at that level of competence yet.) What I'm actually doing I'm going to save for PM's - TMI for the intrawebs.
Theotokos isn't really translated "Virgin Mary." It means "God-bearer." However, the reference is to Mary. Theotokos and Virgin are two different aspects of Mary.

I noticed that:)
I guess I was expecting something fancier. Or something.
It's all good. I appreciate the help.
Fancier? I notice that the English versions of the Eastern liturgy uses "Remembering," instead of commemorating, so signing REMEMBER seems to fit just right.

Theotokos isn't really translated "Virgin Mary." It means "God-bearer." However, the reference is to Mary. Theotokos and Virgin are two different aspects of Mary.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Fancier? I notice that the English versions of the Eastern liturgy uses "Remembering," instead of commemorating, so signing REMEMBER seems to fit just right.

Wow Reba- thanks so much for all this. Big help.

Ok, more church words.

Consecrated

Host

Venerable

And if your patience with me hasn't run out:

Presbyteriate

Diaconate (Wikipedia redirects to deacon, for which I found a sign in aslpro's religious dictionary. maybe a stretch, not sure.)

Beseech (I'm thinking maybe I can use ask or beg, but not sure.)

Bow (I know the sign for "bow your head" with the nd hand gripping the dh wrist, and the dh makes a fist and sort of drops itself like it's the head bowing. But if the congregants are just told to bow down, is that different?)

I think that should be it for a while. The rest of my problem words I suspect I'll have to fingerspell. Like Cherubikon:0

Ok, more church words.

Consecrated

Host

Venerable

And if your patience with me hasn't run out:

Presbyteriate

Diaconate (Wikipedia redirects to deacon, for which I found a sign in aslpro's religious dictionary. maybe a stretch, not sure.)

Beseech (I'm thinking maybe I can use ask or beg, but not sure.)

Bow (I know the sign for "bow your head" with the nd hand gripping the dh wrist, and the dh makes a fist and sort of drops itself like it's the head bowing. But if the congregants are just told to bow down, is that different?)

I think that should be it for a while. The rest of my problem words I suspect I'll have to fingerspell. Like Cherubikon:0
Read all the religion related sections of this website first:

The interpreter's friend

Back