How do you sign...

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:
How would you sign 'course' in the food sense? As in a three-course meal.
Without knowing the context, in general, you could sign:

FOOD, SERVED/BROUGHT, SEQUENCES THREE

Then, if more details are needed, you can enumerate (in the order they are served):

1-SALAD, SOUP FINISH

2-MEAT, POTATOES, VEGETABLE FINISH

3-DESSERT FINISH

I might also state at the beginning that it was a "fancy (formal) dinner" then explain it had three different plates, first ______, then 2nd ______ then 3rd _______ finish.

As we've said again and again, proper, full context is everything in ASL (and yet we never seem to get it here ... sigh)

gah! help!

I had trouble conveying this message to my friend - "If you call me (via VP) and I didn't answer, you can leave a message."

I had trouble with "leave a message". How do you sign that in ASL???

Jiro said:
gah! help!

I had trouble conveying this message to my friend - "If you call me (via VP) and I didn't answer, you can leave a message."

I had trouble with "leave a message". How do you sign that in ASL???

Why not just say that if you don't answer - wait (don't hang up) because the VP has an video answering machine they can explain (fs)message and you'll call them back, or email etc.

Why not just say that if you don't answer - wait (don't hang up) because the VP has an video answering machine they can explain (fs)message and you'll call them back, or email etc.

that's my point. how do I convey "leave a message" in ASL?

You just say "leave" as in dropping off/depositing, etc....a message(signed same as "sentence").

If you want to make 100% sure they understand then email/text them as well and just say

"I wanted to make sure you know, if I don't answer VP right away, don't hang up because there is a video answering machine that will allow you to leave a (signed etc) message!

You just say "leave" as in dropping off/depositing, etc....a message(signed same as "sentence").

Interesting and good to know. I have signed it "leave" + "information" in the past. Now I can be more accurate.

Interesting and good to know. I have signed it "leave" + "information" in the past. Now I can be more accurate.

No, what you used (information) is just as good if not better....:D

If you've been getting your messages, then it's been working. :D

I can't seem to find this anywhere and have it look right. I checked lifeprint.com and it's not there and tghe one at aslpro.com doesn't look like what I have seen.

If a person sneezes, I usually say "Bless You", but how would I sign it?

ah yes. I did think of using "leave" sign but I couldn't remember the one for "leave" something because at that time, the only "leave" sign I had in mind was "leave home".

I was very brain-dead at that time cuz I was awake for more than 24 hours :dizzy:

I can't seem to find this anywhere and have it look right. I checked lifeprint.com and it's not there and tghe one at aslpro.com doesn't look like what I have seen.

If a person sneezes, I usually say "Bless You", but how would I sign it?

lol my friend always does that to me. it's... hmmmm.... it's bit similar to "don't care" sign but it goes downward to your chest and then outward.

"don't care" sign is just outward from your nose.

The people around here use a sign that starts with both "a" hands near the mouth and move out and forward while opening the hands, palms down. If you go to aslpro.com, and look under religious signs, it is like a hybrid of Bless 1 and Bless 2. Hand shapes like 1, but symmetry like 2. Probably regional variations. I'm in WI, and I have discovered many of our signs are not the national norm.

Last edited:
I still have not figured out how to do multiple quotes in one message so I have to respond the old-fashioned way - using names ;-).

Thanks Tousi, at times (most times!), my ASL vocabulary seems so limited that I have to make use of whatever I have at-hand (no pun intended haha) to try and get my point across. It's comforting to know that sometimes my limited choice is sometimes a good one :).
Reba, I can usually get my message across (umm again no pun intended ha) in ASL but sometimes it's just pure luck, sometimes it's the recipients skill at understanding/familiarity with my attempts and sometimes it's actual accuracy on my part. The latter is awesome but often fleeting in stressful situations, bah!
Jiro, no need to explain, I am more than familiar with dead-brain syndrome, even after a full 8 hours of sleep haha.

1. Use the BLESS sign as shown on the aslpro general dictionary.

2. With B-hand, fingers up, palm left, in front of face, go down, then left, then right, like making the sign of the cross.

What is the sign for "fluent", or if there is no sign for that word, how would you sign the concept of it? I would like to know how to say "I am not fluent in sign language, only conversational", for example.

I wondered if I would use the signs for "exact" or "perfect". Or maybe initialize that sign with "F", would that work?

Same as SMOOTH.

You can see FLUENT/SMOOTH on signingsavvy.com.

We also use the sign for "SKILL", with appropriate facial grammer.

Last edited:

We also use the sign for "skill", with appropriate facial grammer.
Yes, that would also work, as in "He's a skilled signer."

On the other end, we use the AWKWARD sign for someone who's not a skilled signer. (Or, to be blunt, the LOUSY sign gets used.)

Back