How do you sign...

Sheila

Reaction score
I have seen 2 variations of the sign for Starbucks.

Here in Denver, the most popular is the 8 hands facing each other with the thumbs touching, with the middle fingers flicking up repeatedly.

The other sign I've seen is the sign for STAR but with B-Hands.

Anyone else? Be sure to include where you live!

In California we sign for starbucks as the 8 hands facing each other with the thumbs touching, with the middle fingers flicking up repeatedly.

Lisa

That's the one! Just instead of the 1-Hands, you use B-Hands. Looks kinda strange, but thankfully it doesn't come up often.

Thanks!

PS: I haven't been studying ASL in months... *sigh* Have to wait until I get to Valencia Community College (in Orlando) to learn ASL.

No you don't! Check out the epeachy news and go to Deaf Chats and Events! One of the best ways to learn is thru submersion!

I'm in Tallahassee. Epeachy? Never heard of that. And I don't know where I can find deaf chats and events in Tallahassee.

The star with the b-shapes is weird - I did in the mirror and Im confused as to how it relates to Starbucks?

Im also wondering how the 8-hands flicking got to become the sign for starbucks.

This is helpful since there is now a starbucks in my area - woohoo!

I'm guessing the STAR with B-Hands is just more of an English rendering. The flicking of the 8-Hands might have something to do with the green circle... There is a woman on it that has a crown with a star on top of it; maybe it has something to do with the twinkling of stars/crowns?
Logo

I'm guessing the STAR with B-Hands is just more of an English rendering. The flicking of the 8-Hands might have something to do with the green circle... There is a woman on it that has a crown with a star on top of it; maybe it has something to do with the twinkling of stars/crowns?
Logo

The one done with the B-hands also sounds a bit awkward to me as well.

In the Lowcountry of South Carolina, I've seen STAR + MONEY. "Bucks" are "money", plus it's a little commentary on the overpriced coffee.

Sheila said:
Here in Denver, the most popular is the 8 hands facing each other with the thumbs touching, with the middle fingers flicking up repeatedly.

We use that sign in Wisconsin as well

Reba said:
In the Lowcountry of South Carolina, I've seen STAR + MONEY. "Bucks" are "money", plus it's a little commentary on the overpriced coffee.

:lol: i happen to agree that their coffee IS overpriced!

LOL. I love that sign as well. I don't think 3.75 bucks is worth it for a cuppa of mocha joe. I can just make it at home. I can't remember the last time I was at Starbucks so I may be off.

We use the eight hands flicking repeatedly sign here in Alabama, too.

Yes. Overpriced is polite.

The few times I have been taken there, never wanted to go on my own, I thought the coffee was not that great and for the price it was awful.

Here in Georgia, I have seen the sign for Starbucks is just like this one: YouTube - Starbucks Demo

I have seen the same sign used in several other states like Texas, Florida, Alabama and Louisiana.

I find myself using the flicking 8-hands here, although not having anyone to use them with makes me a flicking fool, :lol:

Freaky Caaaaaat - - - wanna hit Starbucks?? Im buyin..... :lol:

Back