How do you know when your baby has burped or not?

ladycaissa

Reaction score
During the night I do not wear my hearing aid/cochlear implant when I feed my newborn daughter. When it comes to burping her it's difficult to figure out if she has burped or not. How can you tell? Is there some technique that I am not aware of?

First of all...congrats on your new addition to your family!

When my daughter was born, I didnt have hearing aids due to not having money to pay for them so I did worry about that but after a week or so, I was able to figure out if she had burped or not. Sometimes I could feel it when she was on my chest or on my hand or I could see the expression on her face that she has burped.

Having burped both daughters and granddaughters I would say you will get to the point you really feel it against your shoulder.

Another clue is when milk spews from the mouth allover you.;) Thankfully that does not happen every time.

And big congratulations on your new baby!!

I have my husband do it... since I could not hear it when it burps... so I feed the kid and my husband burps it.

I'm lucky to have hearing husband because he can hear the baby's burping. My baby's due is in March. I will figure it out what is going on. I must wear cochlear implant all the time unless I get my CI off and go sleep. My husband will hear the burp anyway. That is good question about baby's sound in technology for deaf parents.

If deaf people need to hear a baby burp then how do deaf parents do it? They figure it out. I did and didnt need to hear it.

Feeling it would make sense, if your baby was a good burper. My daughter isn't, which is why I ask. My hubby is hearing but most of the time at night he's passed out and sometimes I just can't seem to get him to wake up. It's just easier for me to burp her and whatnot.

Like Shel mentioned that I did figure it out by knowing when babies did burp. Guess, it's a mother instinct.

You could try standing in front of a mirror with your back facing the mirror and see if you can see your baby face when you're hold her over your shoulder while you're burping her.

I usually held our son on our lap to burp him ( I had to support his head while I did this. Lap method burping: Burping Tips & Tricks) Because I did this, I just know he burped. And he look so cute just watching his face.

I never held him over my shoulder..everytime I did, I could never tell.

But anyway, it's not always that important to burp him. They'll burp eventually anyhow. But patting his back does help him plus it sooth him as well. Just leave the burping to him (or her?)

I usually held our son on our lap to burp him ( I had to support his head while I did this. Lap method burping: Burping Tips & Tricks) Because I did this, I just know he burped. And he look so cute just watching his face.

I never held him over my shoulder..everytime I did, I could never tell.

But anyway, it's not always that important to burp him. They'll burp eventually anyhow. But patting his back does help him plus it sooth him as well. Just leave the burping to him (or her?)

Thanks for the link. I will try the other burping techniques and see which one works.

I've also held them sitting on my lap sideways, supporting the chin, and leaned them forward gently. The pressure on the stomach forces out the burp which you should be able to feel on your wrist or hand. I think I did more burping w/ my 3rd than the other 2. I guess they managed, lol.

I wasn't worried -- my mom tells me shes a good burper... but sure she do spit a little if she drank too much.. thats normal. :) like frisky feline says mother's and father's instinct I love seeing my daughter expression when shes full and i know she needs to be burping. heh heh.

With Tyler, hardly burp I guess breastfeed less burping I don't know. Almost never spit up.

With Z, he can burp on his own but I still burp him in case if he didn't burp. :)
He spit up a bit...not too much

You can feel on baby's back that she/he burp. You should be fine.

I wasn't worried -- my mom tells me shes a good burper... but sure she do spit a little if she drank too much.. thats normal. :) like frisky feline says mother's and father's instinct I love seeing my daughter expression when shes full and i know she needs to be burping. heh heh.

Ditto. Pricesless expression.

I still can't tell. My hubby says she burped but I didn't feel it. I'll just take his word for it.

I agree about the expression. It's definately priceless and makes everything worth it.

It takes some time, and not to think too much about if she did burp or not. Make yourself comfortable holding her and try to focus on feeling her and looking at her face and body language when it will dawn on you to know when she does burp. Congrats. :)

Back