How do you handle those "deaf" ppl who try to sell those ASL cards?

srlevesque

Reaction score
I was just wondering how any of you out there deal with those people who walk around and try to pass themselves off as deaf just to get money for those cards with the ASL alphabet on one side and I'm deaf please buy this card on the other. It was way too funny for me the other day..I'm about to go into my HA place and this guy comes up with this and shows it to me...Now I live in a place that has 15 deafies and he ain't one of them..so I thought maybe he's new in town..so I sign "oh you're deaf? are you new to Lethbridge?" Buddy looks like a deer in the headlights:Ohno: and RUNS!:bye: Man I laughed so hard I just about wet myself! How do you guys deal with it?

I followed one person by foot until she left town. How she bumped into me was sickening. I was eating at a fancy restaurant, and she came in with horrible clothing peddling all the patrons in the dining area.

So i took the initiative to push her out.

I was just wondering how any of you out there deal with those people who walk around and try to pass themselves off as deaf just to get money for those cards with the ASL alphabet on one side and I'm deaf please buy this card on the other. It was way too funny for me the other day..I'm about to go into my HA place and this guy comes up with this and shows it to me...Now I live in a place that has 15 deafies and he ain't one of them..so I thought maybe he's new in town..so I sign "oh you're deaf? are you new to Lethbridge?" Buddy looks like a deer in the headlights:Ohno: and RUNS!:bye: Man I laughed so hard I just about wet myself! How do you guys deal with it?

I collect those old cards, which usually have a sewing kit on the other side. You seem to have seen a rarity in modern times.

Or else becasue I look visibly deaf they leave me alone. :dunno:

Just give them your own ASL card with the line, "Get a job" on the back.

"go away"

but if you want to be nice - just sign "do you know PFH?"

Just give them your own ASL card with the line, "Get a job" on the back.

Oh LOVE THAT!!!:h5: I did actually tell all the store clerks that I went into that day about it and not give this guy a dime just because he's "deaf" but pls feel free if you feel you need to just for the fact that he probably needs the help.

Oh LOVE THAT!!!:h5: I did actually tell all the store clerks that I went into that day about it and not give this guy a dime just because he's "deaf" but pls feel free if you feel you need to just for the fact that he probably needs the help.

He probably doesn't need the help. In the days when people sold those, there were very few social welfare programs, and they might have been desparate. Not now.

And if you really see one, Banjo's idea is a great one.

Is this still going around?WOW!...I remember one night at work, when this lady came in and was handing out those cards. Needless to say, I became angry.
Also, a few years back, was coming out of Walmart, and this guy approached me with a card, he seemed pretty "evasive" when I told him I was deaf also, and I gave the card back to him.
Haven't had an encounter with the Cards anymore. But there is a deaf man that sits outside the grocery and the Dollar Store asking for $$ to get something to eat, he's Deaf. After talking to him, he does get SSI, and I told him about a Church close by that would help him. He didn't take my advise tho'...I saw him out there again last week or so....

Guess we'll be seeing more and more of those Hobos holding cards saying "Will work for Food"....saw one yesterday saying..."I'm hungry and thirsty, please help."

I just sign back to them, "Stop selling ASL cards, apply for ssi or get a job." 90% of the time they just O.O at me and left.... 10% of the time, theyre actually deaf. Go figure.

curious - you hearie?

Am I a WHAT!? :slap: Hearie?!....nope sorry I bat for your team now! Just new to the board and don't get the PFH thing...*mumbling bad words under her breath* *signing same words at screen*

Am I a WHAT!? :slap: Hearie?!....nope sorry I bat for your team now! Just new to the board and don't get the PFH thing...*mumbling bad words under her breath* *signing same words at screen*

I am the legendary PFH :)

Look at my username. Hang around and you'll get why he said that.

:lol: :laugh2:

Back