How do you get politicians to pay attention to your issues?

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Considering that we are in an election season, don't you think that now would be a good time to start bringing the Deaf issues to the attention of the candidates?

Captioning, education, etc. etc. etc.

I enough people wrote to their senators,,, Like Obama and Clinton, or even Mcain, they might get the idea that there are still unsolved issues in the Deaf community.

They are all looking to get your votes, and they could be convinced that there are enough Deaf people out here to sway an elecion, and that you are a viable votiing block?

What do you thinK? And what issues do you think are the most important ones to be addressed?

I hope this is in the right thread, it doesn't belong in the war and politics thread, at least I don't think.

I demand youtube or any online video sites to CC their videos!!! :pissed:
but.... i dunno where to start. Perhaps contact your major deaf center and persuade the boss to get involved to bring in publicity? For ie - mine's League For the Hard of Hearing in NYC.

or... gather a huge group on certain day and start a peaceful march? hopefully we won't get maced, tasered, etc.

I've contacted politicans many times over issues at my deaf school. For example, when I was a student I moved to a deaf school and learned that there were no air conditioners in the dorms - all of the dorms were like hot ovens. I couldn't believe that the state did not provide AC for the kids! So I talked with my mother...and we started making calls (my mom interpreted for me since I wasn't sure how to use a TTY at that time) to every state rep (including on the local levels) and senators. I learned how to draw up a petition (since I wasn't a taxpayer, my mother had to officially do it but I did the work) and then we collected thouands of signatures. And then I personally handed the petition to the governor of that state (although he normally doesn't handle petitions, but I didn't care and I knew that would make a big difference). The reps (especially the local ones that have deaf students from their towns) were outraged and shocked. The governor had no idea that we didn't have ACs in the dorms. He told me it might take a while because they will have to find the money. My request? While they are looking for the budget - to turn off ALL ACs at the school, including the administrators and offices. They did! Result? The administrators suddenly became motivated to push for the money to come in. They were "hot!" (literally hot and mad hot). The deaf school now has ACs :D. And I became personal good friends with that governor and many state reps and senators.

That's an awesome thing you did, deafbajagal!

Funny request you made there! Who would have thought it'd work in a pinch. :)

As for the deaf school, they ought dedicate the dorms in your name! ;)

What do you thinK? And what issues do you think are the most important ones to be addressed?

You asked a valid question. It's about time deaf community start learning how to lobby the politicians and the government. We've been apathetic for far too long.

Admittedly, I'm not an American, but I daresay that deaf communities around the world has some things in common they want done.

I think they should put 100% CC on TV, theaters, political videos, advertising. Oh yes, also they should start passing law, like Megan's law or something in New Jersey, to ensure HA's be provided to children because not everyone could afford it.

And yes, it's time to start lobbying to make every state schools for the deaf and deaf programs to go bi-bi and the way they could do is to get the funding.

It would be absolutely delightful if they could outlaw Oralism for deaf children, but it'll remain a wishful dream.

It wouldn't hurt if they (politicians) stopped listening to AGBAD and start listening to the deaf community as whole because AGBAD and such organisations does not represent us.

You're right - one of the reasons AGBAD, oops I meant AGBELL, is so successful is that they have very strong political ties and lots of money flowing from supporters.

You asked a valid question. It's about time deaf community start learning how to lobby the politicians and the government. We've been apathetic for far too long.

Admittedly, I'm not an American, but I daresay that deaf communities around the world has some things in common they want done.

I think they should put 100% CC on TV, theaters, political videos, advertising. Oh yes, also they should start passing law, like Megan's law or something in New Jersey, to ensure HA's be provided to children because not everyone could afford it.

And yes, it's time to start lobbying to make every state schools for the deaf and deaf programs to go bi-bi and the way they could do is to get the funding.

It would be absolutely delightful if they could outlaw Oralism for deaf children, but it'll remain a wishful dream.

It wouldn't hurt if they (politicians) stopped listening to AGBAD and start listening to the deaf community as whole because AGBAD and such organisations does not represent us.

Yes, I agree...it would be delightful if they could outlaw oralism-only for deaf children.

Anyways, good thread and something to think about.

I've contacted politicans many times over issues at my deaf school. For example, when I was a student I moved to a deaf school and learned that there were no air conditioners in the dorms - all of the dorms were like hot ovens. I couldn't believe that the state did not provide AC for the kids! So I talked with my mother...and we started making calls (my mom interpreted for me since I wasn't sure how to use a TTY at that time) to every state rep (including on the local levels) and senators. I learned how to draw up a petition (since I wasn't a taxpayer, my mother had to officially do it but I did the work) and then we collected thouands of signatures. And then I personally handed the petition to the governor of that state (although he normally doesn't handle petitions, but I didn't care and I knew that would make a big difference). The reps (especially the local ones that have deaf students from their towns) were outraged and shocked. The governor had no idea that we didn't have ACs in the dorms. He told me it might take a while because they will have to find the money. My request? While they are looking for the budget - to turn off ALL ACs at the school, including the administrators and offices. They did! Result? The administrators suddenly became motivated to push for the money to come in. They were "hot!" (literally hot and mad hot). The deaf school now has ACs :D. And I became personal good friends with that governor and many state reps and senators.

This is what I mean. If we had no protested in 2006, we would have had the Blind school merged into the Deaf school, which sits ten feet from a rail road track and is not set up to accommodate the Blind kids or anything. They would not guarantee that the funds would be there to fix the Deaf school up enough to meet the needs. They were going to make a fortune off of the sale of the Blind school because the city has grown in a way that the land is VERY valuable now, but they were not going to put the money from the sale away to go back into the schools. We stopped them for now, but they will try again. At least now we have a coalition of sorts ready to fight them next time.; ALOT of those people fighting on our side are HEARIES>

AN ELECTION YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If ENOUGH Deafies wrote to Obama and Clinton and McCain, and asked them if they were willing to meet with some of the Deaf leaders,, They might make it a campaign issue.. Then you need to get on line and take some polls to see what needs to be addressed the most.

THIS IS YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only during an elction year can you get plenty of people fighting for your vote......... IT could be done... 5,000 letters to the senators would tell them that you are a voting block to be reconed with.!!!!!!!!!!! They probably aren't even aware of the problems, and unless you raise a stink,,,in a nice way... they won't know that things are not all good.

This is what I mean. If we had no protested in 2006, we would have had the Blind school merged into the Deaf school, which sits ten feet from a rail road track and is not set up to accommodate the Blind kids or anything. They would not guarantee that the funds would be there to fix the Deaf school up enough to meet the needs. They were going to make a fortune off of the sale of the Blind school because the city has grown in a way that the land is VERY valuable now, but they were not going to put the money from the sale away to go back into the schools. We stopped them for now, but they will try again. At least now we have a coalition of sorts ready to fight them next time.; ALOT of those people fighting on our side are HEARIES>

They do a lot of that merging because of very low enrollment. It was the dream of my parents generation to keep kids like me home and send us to school in our neighborhood. Because they thought the old warehouse and hide your handicapped child method was wrong.

Yes, I agree...it would be delightful if they could outlaw oralism-only for deaf children.

This is the time!!! Never before have the policians been more eager to pandor or listen to their voters.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes a collective voice,,, and it could start today.... If everyone on AD simply wrote and said,,, We would like to know if you are willing to talk with the Deaf community,, that is all it would take,,, THey would come looking for you. At least it would come to their attention that they have millions of Deaf Americans who can vote, and who want to have their EAR for a little while...

There really are ways to work on the captioning thing. I have a few ideas. But in general, there are many issues out there. The laws are in place for some things, but this no child left behind thing sucks and IEPs and such are not necessarily doing the job they were created to do. There is just a lot of issues,,, but you need to get the president's attention, before they become president... Get them to at least acknowledge that they will confrence with you... If they refuse,, go to the media and tell them that you were turned away.. They would not like the negative publicity!!!!!!!!

use Youtube to get attention too! deafbajagal - awesome thing you did! you did most of us combined! keep up and fight. :bowdown:

There really are ways to work on the captioning thing. I have a few ideas. But in general, there are many issues out there. The laws are in place for some things, but this no child left behind thing sucks and IEPs and such are not necessarily doing the job they were created to do. There is just a lot of issues,,, but you need to get the president's attention, before they become president... Get them to at least acknowledge that they will confrence with you... If they refuse,, go to the media and tell them that you were turned away.. They would not like the negative publicity!!!!!!!!

No child left behind has had the most negative impact on our eduction system as a whole than anything we have seen in years. And many many IEPs are a joke.

About No Child Left Behind - the principle itself is noble but the methods to do it is gravely flawed. oh well... Hopefully the next President will fix it! I think another important issue should be about raising minimum wage. Our prisons are already overcrowded.

About No Child Left Behind - the principle itself is noble but the methods to do it is gravely flawed. oh well... Hopefully the next President will fix it! I think another important issue should be about raising minimum wage. Our prisons are already overcrowded.

Obamma and Clinton are talking about fixing it... but now is when the Deaf community needs to let them know that it isn't working for the Deaf either... Somebody needs to write to the candidates,, no,, not somebody,,,, EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obamma and Clinton are talking about fixing it... but now is when the Deaf community needs to let them know that it isn't working for the Deaf either... Somebody needs to write to the candidates,, no,, not somebody,,,, EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I worked on getting the minimum wage raised in Oregon, and it worked,,, We have the highest minimum wage.. I had to take time away from things I needed to get done,, but I was on TV and I addressed a crowd at the State Capitol building, and was on radio,, etc etc.. and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the only peaceful thing we can do,, AND honestly, it works best in a an election year.. IF no one tries, then forgive my french,, they shouldn't bitch!

wow damn you're the right man as spokesperson for deaf/HOH community!!!! I'm sick of hearing Al Sharpton hogging some headlines! Time for Dreamchaser [insert your name] to hog some headlines this time!

we better post some list of what we demand - CC all online videos, CC for pilots, what else!

I worked on getting the minimum wage raised in Oregon, and it worked,,, We have the highest minimum wage.. I had to take time away from things I needed to get done,, but I was on TV and I addressed a crowd at the State Capitol building, and was on radio,, etc etc.. and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the only peaceful thing we can do,, AND honestly, it works best in a an election year.. IF no one tries, then forgive my french,, they shouldn't bitch!

Uhh.....the state north of Oregon has the highest minimum wage in the nation followed by California, Massachusetts and then Oregon.

Minimum Wage

But it is good to see that Oregon is in the top 5 states in the nation with a high minimum wage. :)

What's the address to send it to?

Back