How Do I Get Into Deaf Culture?

Daminx

Reaction score
is deaf culture a sort of secret club?, do you just hope to meet a deaf person and hope they want to be your friend or is there a meeting place where you go and meet deaf people, how do you find out about the culture itself and what are rules to deaf culture?

That's kind of a weird question.

You don't just get into deaf culture. And NO it is not some secret club. Makes me wonder about you.

Basically it is adapting / accepting the ideology that you are deaf, using means to communicate with other deaf (primarily sign language) accepting who you are and so on. It is not some secret club. Either you feel Deaf or you don't.

is deaf culture a sort of secret club?, do you just hope to meet a deaf person and hope they want to be your friend or is there a meeting place where you go and meet deaf people, how do you find out about the culture itself and what are rules to deaf culture?

hi damnx

check these Deafies out...i don't know where in england you are ,but its pan uk.

http://www.bda.org.uk/

as to your questions

we are not a secret club at all. far from it. we are a vibrant culture, and we do all sorts of things. among ourselves..our language is the root and corner stone to it.Deaf pub nights where, and as far as i know still are a big thing for Deafies in u.k. gathered at the "Deafie no drill", or "crackin signs, lost tongue", or "eys finger see" its endless really...'next time your in london you will be bale to go to more then one of those pub nights...(the pubs above are fictional mind you" i forgot what the london one was..had something to do with a bloody mask and an axe..mmmmmm
axe,
anyway....

heres another one i'm sure you know this one already

http://deafumbrella.com/

here is deaffirely. a BSL poet. uk.
https://deaffirefly.com/

im not currently in the u.K. so....
but others on this site are and i'm sure they can help you more..as to where meets occur.

you find out about our culture doing ie Deaf culture what your doing, you came online, joined allDeaf and am asking questions, in person you need to find where we meet close to you, pub, club, so on..and their will be events going on. and once you go to one of them you'll meet others..like you, and others wanting to meet you,

we are NOT a closed culture.

actually we are one of the most o opened minded cultures you'll encounter. believe it or not.

so lets try to find a where all those Deafies are hiding shall we...

also read understanding Deaf culture by paddy ladd. (U.K.)

but really...i want to stress books are great but
get out there, and enjoy your time with us. our culture is a face to face culture..
and i dont really need to state this, but i will anyway. if you want to be part of our culture (that's great we want you to be), learn our language.

and we will help you with that.

Last edited:
I think I know what he meant when he said "secret club". He's probably trying to find a group to hang with. It's not like you can Google this stuff and most Deaf people, although nice, they stay to themselves, or those they know, in their comfort zones. Hearing people have NO IDEA where they may be. So he's like.. "Is it some secret club or something..??" Lmao

Not secret, just need an eye out to look for them. If they're alone.. good luck! I've noticed they're thinkers and in-and-out.
Maybe use Facebook to search Deaf Events in your area. If you focus, stick with it and really want to
meet these usually cool and interested people, you'll find them.

. . .
Maybe use Facebook to search Deaf Events in your area. If you focus, stick with it and really want to
meet these usually cool and interested people, you'll find them.
That's how it is in our area. Deaf events are posted on Facebook, and there are a lot of them (events). Large group activities (everyone welcome, including hearies and kids, doing something, like bowling) to smaller groups (women only luncheons). The dinner groups meet at a variety of restaurants in rotating geographical areas so everyone gets their fair share of driving. There's pretty much something for everyone.

We're a part of the Freemason Society organization. If we think you're worthy, you'll be received the official letter from the Freemason Society organization by becoming one of us; you will be required to perform in the ceremony to receive your first degree and learn our secret hands, symbols and passwords that will change your life forever.

If you want to have a ASL Club for you to join by signing ASL and learn about Deaf Culture, that would be for you. Deaf Culture is for Deaf people who had to go through by using our eyes to use ASL instead of lipreading or for DeafBlind who have to use tactical signs to communicate. Lipreading is very difficult as we can only pick out what the hearing people said by 30%. It is not 100% accurate to lipread. That is why we need ASL and is a must for us using the ASL primary language.

Deaf Culture tell us who we are as d/Deaf people including HOH (Hard Of Hearing). In Deaf Culture we have social events, hearing theaters where we can get ASL interpreters to help us understand what the hearing actors performed including Deaf theaters and comedy performance (ASL with classifiers) to make us laugh on what we had to go through being deaf growing up into become adults in the hearing world.

There are bowling events, Deaf camping events and other great events for us to go to communicate in ASL, even social events. We are pretty much into Deaf communities like families. Also tell us about Deaf people who made successful careers like teletypewriters, close captioned and other things they can do to help us, Deafies and Hard Of Hearing. If you are hearing, this is not for you as you are not deaf nor hard of hearing. Deaf Culture is very much into us as Deafies and HOH. Use American Sign Language (ASL) to communicate with us so that we can understand you better than having us use lipreading.

It can be hard to find other Deaf people where I am in the UK - it's a very oralist area. I know young Deaf people from where I grew up, but it's hard to find them where I live now. Either they don't sign or they don't feel the need to come to Deaf social events because they've already got friends (a bit of both). Most of the Deaf people here that I know are old.

The main facebook group is closed - I found it through a mutual friend.

To add to that, my area's Deaf club isn't on that list. You'd be best googling Your Area + Deaf club. (HoH clubs tend not to be BSL/Deaf groups.)

It can be hard to find other Deaf people where I am in the UK - it's a very oralist area. I know young Deaf people from where I grew up, but it's hard to find them where I live now. Either they don't sign or they don't feel the need to come to Deaf social events because they've already got friends (a bit of both). Most of the Deaf people here that I know are old.

To add to that, my area's Deaf club isn't on that list. You'd be best googling Your Area + Deaf club. (HoH clubs tend not to be BSL/Deaf groups.)

Where in UK are you?

Very sad. But yeah the UK is very oralist. The two big Deaf Schools are oral (Mary Hare, and St Johns) although they allow Sign out of class. Probem is that most dhh kids are mainstreamed with very little dhh support.

Back