How do i contact irs from abroad?

Isadora

Reaction score
Hello, I am deaf and I live abroad. I need to contact the IRS to set some records straight. I don't have a DTT phone and they won't reply by email. How do I contact the IRS, then?
There is no IRS office abroad... should I contact my Consulate, instead?

Or is there a TDD virtual phone I can use?:dunno:
I can't use the relay service when abroad – it detects I am not in the US and blocks me.

Go to us embassy in Argentina will help you out. I went to us embassy in russia for help in years ago

Isadora did you look at www.irs.gov?

For you

https://www.irs.gov/uac/contact-my-local-office-internationally
Contact My Local Office Internationally

International Services

If you are a taxpayer with specific individual or business account questions you should contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax. The International Call Center is operational Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Time):
Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 267-941-1055

If you are a tax professional or software provider calling about an e-file issue and it is not account related, please contact the e-help office in Austin at 512-416-7750 (not toll-free). Assistors are available Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Central time).

Taxpayer service, formerly offered at the foreign posts of duty, is no longer available. Please send your tax forms and correspondence to the applicable address indicated below.

Individual taxpayers located outside the U.S. may also contact the IRS by mail at:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725

Business taxpayers located outside the U.S. may also contact the IRS by mail at:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Ogden, UT 84201-0038

Residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040. (Hours of Operation are 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday - Friday). For face-to-face assistance information in Puerto Rico refer to Contact My Local Office in Puerto Rico.

Other items of potential interest:

International Taxpayer Advocate:
To request Taxpayer Advocate assistance, call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free number at 1-877-777-4778, or refer to Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Caribbean US Territories (Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands) and International or Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Hawaii & Pacific US Territories (Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands).

Thanks mikemike, I am working with my CPA to see if he can sort it out himself. Else, I will rely on snail mail (in 2016 - seriously?!)

Else, I will rely on snail mail (in 2016 - seriously?!)

Seriously. There are still people out there who prefer snail mail over using the internet/computers for some things like financial transactions or anything else. Some folks don't like computers or are not fond of them... or they can't afford internet and computers.

Back