How Do I Communicate With People Who Can Hear??

Darrick Horton

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really new to this not-being-able-to-hear thing.. I got in an accident that severely damaged one of ears and I had a tumor on my hearing nerve on the other side. The tumor side is completely deaf and the accident side fluctuates. Some days I can hear fine with it and other days I'm deaf as a doorknob..

Since this happened really unexpectedly (I'm 18 and have had great hearing up until now) I do not know how to sign and I can only lipread as good as any native english speaker. I'm wondering how to communicate with people who can hear on days that I can't hear. I have been just getting them to write things down, and I am considering getting a small dry erase board to put in my backpack. Does anyone have any ideas? I am really feeling alone and secluded because I can't communicate with people.

there are App that turns a smartphone into a speech translator for the deaf or you could have someone text you what they're saying.

You've got a great start there. Dry erase is good. There is also something called a Boogie board that is sort of like the dry erase but you don't need an eraser. (kind of like the old magic slate toys but in electronic form). They come in different sizes. I really like mine (though if i can get my smaller one back...ugh).

the apps for speech to text are a good idea but be forewarned that it isn't perfect. Best scenario to use those is in a quiet room, 1 speaker and the speaker speaks normally and clearly (maybe a bit slower than normal..?). It will miss a LOT if there is an accent involved or the person speaks super fast or mumbles.

I think there are some apps out there too that is like a notepad- you can use something like that too on a phone or tablet.

Welcome to AD :), your situation is rather unique in how you came to be deaf...

You've got a great start there. Dry erase is good. There is also something called a Boogie board that is sort of like the dry erase but you don't need an eraser. (kind of like the old magic slate toys but in electronic form). They come in different sizes. I really like mine (though if i can get my smaller one back...ugh).
I forgot I had the Boogie board until I was switching purses the other day and found it on the bigger purse.

I liked that movie "Boogie Nights". Back on topic, you can use your cell phone to write with, that is..if you have one.
Yeah I said that too, :h5: if the OP doesn't have the person they're trying to talk to might have one.

Thanks for your help guys! I just bought an 8.5" x 11" dry erase board. I have been using my phone pretty frequently as well. I think I am going to get some business cards that just have a really stylized version of "I'm deaf" in big letters.. that sounds fun:D

Also, that boogie board thing looks pretty cool. I think I might get one.

Edit:
Something like this:

Last edited:
"Don't worry, we can communicate with write in audio wavelength. You can read the audio wavelength. Right? Hey? Hey....?"

Darrick, if you haven't considered it yet I would seriously start learning ASL. It will give you more options for comprehension. It can make school so much easier if you're continuing your schooling. I'm also late deafened, and it was such a relief to learn ASL and get a break from the constant stress of trying to understand what people were saying to me. There's so much brain work going on in trying to understand speech when you can't hear it that when I use ASL it literally feels like when you come home from a long day of work or school, you take off your shoes and pants, put on PJs and flop on the couch. It made it easier for me to do my actual work, I was much more willing to socialize because I didn't have the same level of mental exhaustion, I could go on and on.

Darrick, if you haven't considered it yet I would seriously start learning ASL. It will give you more options for comprehension. It can make school so much easier if you're continuing your schooling. I'm also late deafened, and it was such a relief to learn ASL and get a break from the constant stress of trying to understand what people were saying to me. There's so much brain work going on in trying to understand speech when you can't hear it that when I use ASL it literally feels like when you come home from a long day of work or school, you take off your shoes and pants, put on PJs and flop on the couch. It made it easier for me to do my actual work, I was much more willing to socialize because I didn't have the same level of mental exhaustion, I could go on and on.

ASL is good thing to learn but this won't help the OP talk to hearing people .

I really want to learn speechreading. I have some residual hearing left, so speechreading is a very viable option for me. I am having a VERY hard time finding classes for it though. Any ideas?

I really want to learn speechreading. I have some residual hearing left, so speechreading is a very viable option for me. I am having a VERY hard time finding classes for it though. Any ideas?
there is no classes just for speech reading you need to find a speech teacher that also does lips reading , this can be expensive , most insurance won't pay for this unless
a person need to learn how to speak again b/c of a medical reason. I tried to find a speech teach some time ago and most of them went into to private practice.
You could call a public school and see if they know of any speech teacher.

there is no classes just for speech reading you need to find a speech teacher that also does lips reading , this can be expensive , most insurance won't pay for this unless
a person need to learn how to speak again b/c of a medical reason. I tried to find a speech teach some time ago and most of them went into to private practice.
You could call a public school and see if they know of any speech teacher.
That's not true...if you live in the UK. I just found info on Lipreading classes for over the pond

Here's something else I found: www.lipreading.org/

Back