How do deaf people talk louder?

QueenI

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have a question to ask. Basically, I am hearing impaired myself and when I'm talking to others, my voice seems to be clear (okay-ish) to me as if I am pronouncing the words correctly and am talking loud. However, I am often asked to repeat my sentences... A lot of people have generally said my voice is really quiet. I was wondering if this is the same for other deaf people? If so, how did you overcome this. As during group discussions, I end up panicking knowing no one would understand what I said. This is a difficulty I have even during online meetings.

Thank you for reading this.

Everyone differs. I tend to talk too loud. This is normal because we usually cannot tell how softly or loudly we speak ... I ask people tp.just motion with their hands to increase it decrease my volume. Not easy for any of us, though.

Is there someone you are comfortable practicing with; have conversations where they help you get to the right level and keep it. Then build the muscle memory of what it feels like? If you notice certain phrases or words getting asked to be repeated a lot; ask that same person to help with the pronunciation? My brother said "Pabamas" Instead of Pajamas until he was a teen because that's what he heard as a kid and didn't know the difference.

I liked Nita's idea of asking people to gesture for volume. That's a good idea, if you're comfortable asking for it. It could be hard at first but it's a great coping technique.

When I'm concerned I do the thing , I place my hand over my ear with my palm close to my mouth, some times just my fingers in front of my mouth, so I can get a feel as to how I'm speaking :2c:

I think most deaf people speak with more volume, when I visit with my children and there children are napping they often tell me to be quite I tell them I can't be quite I'm deaf:lol:

Voice levels differ with many hoh people, I tend to talk too loud & sometimes asked to lower my voice, I don't let it worry me.

Main thing to try not to get too stressed about it & try to stay relaxed.

Have you mentioned in these meetings that you have hearing difficulties?, they must & hopefully will understand & make allowances to suit you.

I will you luck, just remember stay calm & focused.

When I'm concerned I do the thing , I place my hand over my ear with my palm close to my mouth, some times just my fingers in front of my mouth, so I can get a feel as to how I'm speaking :2c:
How does that work for loudness? This is the first time I heard of this method.

Everyone differs. I tend to talk too loud. This is normal because we usually cannot tell how softly or loudly we speak ... I ask people tp.just motion with their hands to increase it decrease my volume. Not easy for any of us, though.
That's actually a good way. I should not be shy to tell people to tell me when I'm being too quiet. Thank you. :)

Voice levels differ with many hoh people, I tend to talk too loud & sometimes asked to lower my voice, I don't let it worry me.

Main thing to try not to get too stressed about it & try to stay relaxed.

Have you mentioned in these meetings that you have hearing difficulties?, they must & hopefully will understand & make allowances to suit you.

I will you luck, just remember stay calm & focused.
Yes, they do know that I am deaf. But personally I feel embarrassed that I don't contribute much by speaking despite having lots of ideas, simply because I feel like when I speak, they won't understand my speech or that I'll be quiet. I definitely need to make sure I stay relaxed, thanks for your response.

Yes, they do know that I am deaf. But personally I feel embarrassed that I don't contribute much by speaking despite having lots of ideas, simply because I feel like when I speak, they won't understand my speech or that I'll be quiet. I definitely need to make sure I stay relaxed, thanks for your response.
Sounds like a lack of confidence, try thinking more positive, if you have something to say, just say it as clear as you can, it helps looking into the eyes of the people you're speaking to, it will give you a little more confidence & reduce any feeling of intimidation.

Btw please don't ever feel embarrassed, I'm sure this is just lack of confidence, just think clearly what you have to say in your mind, then just go for it.

Hello everyone and how are we doing today, well I'm good down here in Margate FL the weather ☁️️ is awesome cool 70's with some very pleasant breeze's, anyway I like all your comments for QueenL they're awesome advise, always and I mean always never ever be embarrassed for something that you have no control over it's not yours or anybody's fault it's a condition and we as Dead /HOH people learn to accept and find our way as a handicapped person. We have lot and lots of options out there and we just need to find those devices that will assist us in our daily lives. Remember this old saying there are bad days and there are good days we muddle through them, and at the end of the day we look back at how amazing that day was and tomorrow we put are pants back on one leg at a time to start the day all over again., Take care and be blessed

Back