How did you become deaf / hard of hearing?

Totally agree, all schools should have programs for mentally, physically challenged and not just for "special schools." Now they are trying to close down deaf/ Deaf/ and HOH programs to get them to the mainstream with hearies because of "budget"... smdh

Yes and that’s a very unfortunate situation all around. :cry:

I agree with you whole heartedly. I wish I had it all 40 years ago, but back then HoH meant a lot of speech training and no ASL training. I was raised as an oral student in deaf and mainstreamed schools. I was “lost” in deaf camp for several years due to lack of ASL usage. The same goes for hearing camp, I’d miss out so many words on what they were saying. To this day I have trouble associating with both worlds. It is strongly encouraged these deaf and HoH children pick up ASL in school at early age, at home and camp. More exposure the better and it boosts their self confidence whereas I have none.
I agree with you whole heartedly. I wish I had it all 40 years ago, but back then HoH meant a lot of speech training and no ASL training. I was raised as an oral student in deaf and mainstreamed schools. I was “lost” in deaf camp for several years due to lack of ASL usage. The same goes for hearing camp, I’d miss out so many words on what they were saying. To this day I have trouble associating with both worlds. It is strongly encouraged these deaf and HoH children pick up ASL in school at early age, at home and camp. More exposure the better and it boosts their self confidence whereas I have none.
Exactly. Speech shouldn't be a be all end all thing. Parents need to understand that educating a dhh kid is a LOT more complex then the traditional HOH style interventions. Yes, it's OK if you pursue speech, but please meet your child halfway and learn ASL for THEM. It's only fair. Do not delibratly keep a child away from ASL and deaf ed and camp! It just seems like the ultimate "goal" of oralism is to get the kid to assimulate into society, without realizing that typical kids tend to ostracize or ignore dhh kids . Oral exclusive approaches IGNORE the social emotional value that ASL and deaf culture has. It blows my mind how simlair our experiences were, even thou my experience was ten years later.....and of course I was exclusively educated in hearing schools, and thought I was the only HOH kid in the world.

Totally agree, all schools should have programs for mentally, physically challenged and not just for "special schools." Now they are trying to close down deaf/ Deaf/ and HOH programs to get them to the mainstream with hearies because of "budget"... smdh
*shakes head* No. PHYSCIALLY disabled kids don't generally need specialized programs, unless they are severely affected. PD kids can do pretty well in an inclusion based setting, with a Resource Room approach. I do agree that there needs to be specialized programs for mentally disabled kids, especially since our education system is VERY focused on a college bound approach. I'd love to see specialized programs and schools used more for low incidence kids.

BTW, I know there are lurkers here who are CONVINCED that THEIR path is the right one. I don't get it. Why wouldn't you offer a dhh kid EVERYTHING, so they would have all the tools possible, as well as a vareity of experiences? Speech is only a very small part of the puzzle. Nobody's talking about making kids sign exclusively or sending them exclusively to a K-12 Deaf school as a res student. We're just encouraging EVERYTHING.

*shakes head* No. PHYSCIALLY disabled kids don't generally need specialized programs, unless they are severely affected. PD kids can do pretty well in an inclusion based setting, with a Resource Room approach. I do agree that there needs to be specialized programs for mentally disabled kids, especially since our education system is VERY focused on a college bound approach. I'd love to see specialized programs and schools used more for low incidence kids.
Okay, you misunderstood me about the Physically part, but that's ok, we both get the idea. Going to a deaf oral school to learn to speak and hear was the toughest 3 1/2 -4 years of my life. If I had my way, I would have told them to stuff it up their @$$ and eat $#!* but hey I was only 18 months when my mother put me through that crap! I still do not know where I belong to this day!
The school system is just plain down right hell, like Beowolf said, gotta go through hell!

i was mainstreamed from preschool until i graduated school. but i am now trying to go to Gallaudet college!!!! mainstream was bad.....i was made fun of alot...i was born deaf failed the newborn hearing test

Last edited:
i was mainstreamed from preschool until i graduated school. but i am now trying to go to Gallaudet college!!!! mainstream was bad.....i was made fun of alot...i was born deaf failed the newborn hearing test
I hope you make it to Gallaudet. I wanted to go to MSSD when I was 15 years old, told me that I was not "deaf enough" I didnt know you had to be in a certain deafness, when in fact I am DEAF without my HA. ahhhh... if only.

i am severe to profoundly deaf in my left ear and moderate to severe in my right ear. i'm currently unaided.

i am severe to profoundly deaf in my left ear and moderate to severe in my right ear. i'm currently unaided.
I am severe/profoundly deaf in my right and moderate to severe on my left with ha. ha can only do so much help at this point. I dont hear everything with ha.

My mother had German measles when I was in utero, genetically I have WS4 (Waardenburg Shah syndrome) and got the mumps when I was 18 months old. Bilateral profoundly Deaf now.

Told my story in another thread, again, slow loss from 20s didn't know it was a problem till I flunked job test, had bad geen turned on in 50s a year in and out of hospital a lot of antibiotics may have had a part, but found out couple of years later that some people with this condition also have hearing loss, still hear some sound, aids don't give me word recognition :ily:

I was born deaf with Rubella (German Measles) from my mother. I went to an oral school for 3 1/2 - 4 years to learn how to talk and hear with a hearing aid. I wished that I had a choice to rather I wanted to wear a hearing aid or not. I didn't have much of a choice. ASL in the home was forbidden. SO it was quite the challenge for me. I didn't start talking up until I was 7 years old. it got better as I got older. I still can't say my R's and W's, they both sound the exact same to me. My English language is OK. If I had a choice I would prefer ASL than speak... WHY? Because I can express myself better with ASL than speaking. I feel like I can be MYSELF.

How about you?? :popcorn:
I was a little deaf in one ear from birth nerve deafness,they always said blows to head could make it worse,however at the age of 17yrs old i came out of the pub with my friends(legal age is 18 in uk ,so okay i was being a bit naughty) a guy who i didnt know started fighting me,i got away and went to my mates car and went home. Next day i was fine(no cuts etc) caught the bus to the shopping centre) Then suddenly everything sounded like it was underwater. it just went,pop and gone,i had scans etc,and no one can understand how i lost so much in the way i did,i have about 10 to 15% of hearing left this was 30 yrs ago ,the guy pleaded guilty to ABH and got a £35 fine so much for the UK justice system ..

I lost my hearing due to high fever I taught myself speech and learned sign language in school where I was mainstreamed my whole family hearing so I was always using my voice more than signing

I was born deaf with Rubella (German Measles) from my mother. I went to an oral school for 3 1/2 - 4 years to learn how to talk and hear with a hearing aid. I wished that I had a choice to rather I wanted to wear a hearing aid or not. I didn't have much of a choice. ASL in the home was forbidden. SO it was quite the challenge for me. I didn't start talking up until I was 7 years old. it got better as I got older. I still can't say my R's and W's, they both sound the exact same to me. My English language is OK. If I had a choice I would prefer ASL than speak... WHY? Because I can express myself better with ASL than speaking. I feel like I can be MYSELF.

How about you?? :popcorn:

Same...German Measles...

Back