How come they can use phone?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
When I was a juvenile, I often was envy of deaf people that would use a voice phone. See, when a hearing person would use phone, I would not be envy because I know that I am deaf. They are not. It was like, they are deaf and they can use phone!! Why cannot I use phone?

Now, I'm an adult and I've a hearing girlfriend. SHe can use voice phone with ease and often helps me if I want to make a voice call. I've became a lot more laid back as compared to 20, 25 years ago. I am now 34 years old. Back then, I felt like inferior, like I did not belong. Now that I've a wonderful girlfriend who is waiting for a ring. She wants me to spend rest of my life with her. Those day, it's okay. Some deaf people can use phone. Some cannot. Life goes on. My girlfriend knows what I can and cannot do. She accepts me for myself.

So basically, those days, I'm more content with myself. I know that I have people in corner. I know that I'm loved even though I cannot use phone. Life goes on.

How come deaf can sleep while neighbor's dog barks all night? Or through the baby crying? Or not listen to people with easy lives complain about how they cannot get the right color beige flecks in their granite counter tops?

We all have our limitations. It seems more glaring when you're in a minority group, I'm sure. But we live in a wonderful time where we can connect with a large number of people ALL THE TIME. How cool is that?

I'm glad you're more content with yourself. It's one of the best things about maturing.

Last edited:
It's always refreshing to connect with people who understands each other and share feedbacks.

It feels good to be mature and letting life go by and not worry about self imagine so much any more.

I use a phone...just not like the way hearing people do.

I use my eyes to chat on a phone. Hearng people use their ears to chat.

no difference.

If hearing people think they are better because they can use their freaking ears to use a phone, I say "fuck you.:" very kindly.

The years of when I was a single parent and my babies were young, I never more wanted to be able to use a phone. Otherwise, my other option would have been to bundle up my babies and drive somewhere, find a parking space and walk with them to offices to set up appointments then drive back home. Sometimes this meant having to miss classes or work. If this had to be done in the wintertime which meant bad roads and shoveling cars out of snow and number of parking spaces reduced by piled up snow, it was not fun at all.

I would have liked the ability to use the phone instead of getting hang ups from secretaries thinking I'm a telemarketer thanks to Bell Relay starting off with "I am calling from Bell Relay Service, we are a relay service for the hearing impaired. I am operator #7546 and..." no wonder I get hangups.

But now that my sons are older, I ask them to make calls for me and very much appreciative of that.

Just had to note the pun... You're talking about using the phone and your hearing girlfriend is waiting for a ring.... hee hee good one :D

From my experience -15 years- using myVCO TTY Relay service --never have they keyed " we are the relay service for the hearing impaired". They do key their operator number which the first number tells where they are-Kitchener or Quebec City. I use Bell Canada phone service which includes Bell TeleMessage service. The Relay service can easily access-416 210-0698.

I am one of Cochlear Implantees that can't use a regular phone to hear person's speaking, though I can hear the dial tone. I understand from Sunnybrook about one out of 2 implantess- can hear hear-regular phone.

To me no problem just continued using my TTY-UltraTech 1140 since becoming bilateral DEAF in December 2006.

To date still quite happy with service provided by the Relay Service operators.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

From my experience -15 years- using myVCO TTY Relay service --never have they keyed " we are the relay service for the hearing impaired". They do key their operator number which the first number tells where they are-Kitchener or Quebec City. I use Bell Canada phone service which includes Bell TeleMessage service. The Relay service can easily access-416 210-0698.

I am one of Cochlear Implantees that can't use a regular phone to hear person's speaking, though I can hear the dial tone. I understand from Sunnybrook about one out of 2 implantess- can hear hear-regular phone.

To me no problem just continued using my TTY-UltraTech 1140 since becoming bilateral DEAF in December 2006.

To date still quite happy with service provided by the Relay Service operators.

I'm paraphrasing. The fact remains that many people who's never heard of it tends to automatically assume it's a telelmarketer call and hang up before the operator had a chance to fully explain what they do.

I used Canada Bell Relay service too. Not anymore and ever so happy about it. One of the best feelings in the world is being free of voice mails and obligations to check it because everyone knew I had a TDD. Now that they know I don't have a landline anymore, they know their only recourse is email or letters. it levels the playing field greatly and I love it.

It depends on your hearing loss, and keep in mind that even a lot of deaf people who may be able to talk on the phone, they often can only do it with a few people rather than everyone.

If hearing people think they are better because they can use their freaking ears to use a phone, I say "fuck you.:" very kindly.
I doubt many hearing people really feel that way. I HATE talking on the phone, I'd rather not at all ha.

When I give my phone number I tell them text only.

I doubt many hearing people really feel that way. I HATE talking on the phone, I'd rather not at all ha.

That attitude may not be apparent but it is out there in the coporate world. A deaf person is not worthy of climbing the corporate ladder if he/she is unable to use their ears for phone work. That is the attitude I hate.

That attitude may not be apparent but it is out there in the coporate world. A deaf person is not worthy of climbing the corporate ladder if he/she is unable to use their ears for phone work. That is the attitude I hate.
Ahhh, I see what you mean. I definitely have no experience with that kind of work, I'm still in college and have only worked crappy cafe jobs throughout/as a hair stylist before that.

I don't mind that I can't use the phone the conventional way. I rarely even have to use the relay. These days, I can contact virtually just about anyone via e-mail or text, and those that I can't, it's either relay or boyfriend time :)

If this is your reaction, do you feel inferior to hearie's corporate world?

When I give my phone number I tell them text only.

Same here, I don't even get notified of voice calls, until I look through the history. If they can't follow basic instructions it's their loss.

Same here, I don't even get notified of voice calls, until I look through the history. If they can't follow basic instructions it's their loss.

Yeah, I always tell people my number and to text me ONLY!!! TEXT only!! There are always people that will not get the instruction. I sympathize with you. It happens quite often with me.

It depends on your hearing loss, and keep in mind that even a lot of deaf people who may be able to talk on the phone, they often can only do it with a few people rather than everyone.

I am HOH and I have a very hard time talking on the phone to anyone that has an accent and it can be a person from another state. I love talking to my 6 years old granddaughter and I feel bad that I have have her repeat herself on the phone.

I can see using a VCO TTY does obviates some phone problems. I still use a UltaTec 1140.

Back