How cold before you turn on heat?

our weather seems bi polar here. Hot to Cold back to Hot. All the leaves have fallen off the trees in my front yard. I have temperamental bodies in this house. My hubby and I used to be opposites until recently. I guess with age and hormones being a factor.. I have started enjoying the cooler temps in my bedroom to help me sleep better and just pile on the covers if needed. I need the weight on my body to sleep-odd enough. Temp needs to stay at 68~70. House warms up for the evening for a few hours for the kids. During the summer the house stays somewhere in the 70~73 degrees. This fall so far we have managed to keep the AC and heat off and lowered our bills. I bet Winter is going to be a blast..and then the fireplace and heat will come on.

For the past week, we haven't needed the heat really as we've been on a warm front. If it's rainy, damp and raw and in the fifties, we turn on the heat. My parents unfortunately have the coldest room in the condo so when the temperature drops, they wake up cold and turn the heat on to 73 which kills me as I have the warmest room in the condo. I often have to crack a window at night just to be sure I don't wake up from the heat.

However, when my sister visited, she had the windows open while she slept (it was winter). I actually woke up from the cold and had to walk carefully in the living room to shut the windows and raise the temp to 69 so I could sleep. She pretty much kept turning on fans and opening windows the whole time and I couldn't wait to get the place back so I could feel warm again. In the fall and winter, I like it set to 70. We don't lower it below that so the cats don't feel chill, especially at night. Our senior cat even has his very own super soft, fuzzy, blanket.

Laura

My heat won't come at 70 I have to put at 74 most before it come on and that is way too hot for me. My dog sleep right next to me and he keep me warm too. He sometime like to fall asleep lying across on shoulder with his face pressed against mine . I feel like I am wearing a live fur coat . LOL!

My heat won't come at 70 I have to put at 74 most before it come on and that is way too hot for me. My dog sleep right next to me and he keep me warm too. He sometime like to fall asleep lying across on shoulder with his face pressed against mine . I feel like I am wearing a live fur coat . LOL!

Furry pets are the best comforters~!

Turning on the HEAT??...goodness gracious!...Has been in the 80's here....no Autumn weather at all....Nights are around 74 to 78....so my AC is on during the day and off late evenings....

Seems Florida has given Autumn the Bird here in Florida!...:lol:

I second that RR! Still feels like an extended summer here, I turn on the AC at when temps are 78+, ceiling or oscillating fans the rest of the time. I looked up a map of national temps, sure enough. :shock:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 12
I second that RR! Still feels like an extended summer here, I turn on the AC at when temps are 78+, ceiling or oscillating fans the rest of the time. I looked up a map of national temps, sure enough. :shock:

:giggle:
54857821.jpg

We've had ours turned on for a couple weeks now, but it rarely runs. We had a really nice fall for the most part, so the furnace has needed to kick on only just a few times so far.

it's all depend on what's happening with my wife fingers. If her fingers turned white, I will have to turn on the heat. Puzzled??

It's because she have Raynaud disease. So I have to maintain her comfort level. I have to keep it within 74 degrees.

I am like several of you. I cannot sleep well when it is hot in which was the case last night since yesterday was close to 80 degrees. Even with the windows open, it is muggy in my house but I dont want to turn the AC on especially knowing that it will get chilly this evening.

I am not sure at what temperature this house must reach before I turn the heat on.

My roomie and I both don't mind a little bit of "chill", we it actually got down to the low 40s last week and we finally turned the A/C off. We have yet to turn on our heat

^Yes! Finally someone who thinks progressively. My kids think they deserve a house that is 75 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. :D

^Yes! Finally someone who thinks progressively. My kids think they deserve a house that is 75 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. :D

That is way too hot for me. I like my heat no higher than 70 in the winter , 69 would be great but it won't come on at 69 .

Warm weather this week. I turned heater off. I have been using heater for last two weeks in October. I keep my heater at 68 F for winter time.

Turning on the HEAT??...goodness gracious!...Has been in the 80's here....no Autumn weather at all....Nights are around 74 to 78....so my AC is on during the day and off late evenings....

Seems Florida has given Autumn the Bird here in Florida!...:lol:

I'm a small person with little body fat and deal with better with heat than cold. Since we're in the Midwest we already have had frosts and it's gotten down to the 30 <degree, Fahrenheit> here a few times at night. Though it was above average last week with 60's and a close-to-70 once. But that is unusual for this time of year here. So yeah, we've had the heat on for some time now. We've also used our wood fireplace.

It has to be pretty hot outside - 90 plus, and pretty high humdity - for me to be really uncomfortable or unable to do things outside.

I'm a small person with little body fat and deal with better with heat than cold. Since we're in the Midwest we already have had frosts and it's gotten down to the 30 <degree, Fahrenheit> here a few times at night. Though it was above average last week with 60's and a close-to-70 once. But that is unusual for this time of year here. So yeah, we've had the heat on for some time now. We've also used our wood fireplace.

It has to be pretty hot outside - 90 plus, and pretty high humdity - for me to be really uncomfortable or unable to do things outside.

It's going to be the 30's on Monday night here so I will have to put the heat on. I guess I will also need to take the bird baths in , the birds are still using them for drinking water so I might wait a little longer.

It 19 I dropping with heat hubs put heating on dry some washing

well dang it all.. the indian summer we had and then the sudden drop in temp.. our heat is on today. Brrrr.. I need some hot chocolate.

.Since I got new boiler had the central heating rads and pipes all cleaned I don't need heating on so much.I get heat up to 19/22 and warms house up so much I can turn it off for most of the day.
I saw documentary this week about spiders and central heating and it put me off having it on

Back