How can a non-profit agency pay for interpreting services?

Dakini

Reaction score
You know how businesses can write off interpreting services as a tax write off? Well non-profit agencies cannot do that as they are not taxed. Knowing that an interpreting service for a full day would cost $2,000, how can a non-profit agency find the money to pay for such an expensive service? Do interpreting services normally reduce their fees or provide it for free to non-profit agencies?

Anyone that has experience in how this works or any leads to this type of information would be greatly appreciated!

The answer is: it's really difficult. Your best bet is to try and find an interpreter who is in tune with your needs, and see if they will volunteer for you, or at least reduce their fee greatly.

I'm connected with a disability arts network and they know they can come to me for volunteer interpreting services. I've done other volunteer work for other not-for-profits as well. Volunteering is supposed to be part of an interpreter's service commitment (or that least that's what I was taught, and I still believe) so hopefully you can find someone who feels the same.

Good luck!

The answer is easy. We canvass interpreting schools for volunteer terps.

Richard

The answer is easy. We canvass interpreting schools for volunteer terps.

Yep, that's another good method, as long as you don't need technical, legal, etc. If you do this, make sure the ITP teachers know what kind of assignment you need interpreted so they can match you with the most qualified student. The more detail, the better.

If this event was hosted at a place that provides interpreters, money could be saved.

For instance, if a Heart Walk was hosted on campus... and deaf people were involved, then RIT could provide interpreters for that event for the deaf students at no extra cost for the organization.

Not all non-profits are on a tight budget. The American Red Cross, United Way, and other large, national non-profits have huge budgets and can afford to pay terps. Be sure to ask first.

Most terps (myself included) are willing to do some pro bono community work, sometimes just to get some variety of assignment. (Sometimes it's even worth a "will terp for food" if the organization is serving yummy eats after the presentation, heh, heh.)

Also, sometimes a barter of goods or services can be worked out.

I do think that a lot of non-profit organizations are bullshit. They give away less than 10% of what they earned. :roll:

I used to work for a non profit agency (group homes) and they always provided teprs for training for deaf staff or events for the deaf clients and staff. I asked around how they pay for the terps cuz of the costs. The agency gets sponsorship from certain companies that support disability rights or something like that.

not-for-profit doesn't mean they do and get everything free. they have an operating budget, and while it can be substantially lower than a for-profit buisness, its an operating budget none the less. and the people who run the budget need to factor in interpreters.

Back