How are people dealing with the Heat WAVE!??

I am no expert but did you guys check with Vet to see if its safe for dogs to eat ices? I read somewhere on site saying no. but i dont see any medical or doctor sites yet. If i were planning to get a dog. I will check with vet about ices.

lol - it's probably cuz of big dogs choking on small ice. it's silly.

I give ice cubes to my dog all the time. he loves it.

The overnight lows in Florida last night was in the 60's something about Tropical Storm Bret making it cooler for Florida. :) High is 92.. which is typical.

Yep....was very nice yesterday and late evening...breeze blowing. My doggie had a ball in the backyard.....soon as I carried her into the house, I spotted another dog peeking from behind the bush.....it was a very small miniture poodle, with collar and tags....Tried to call it over....finally knocked on my neighbor's door and we sat out there with the doggie for about 10 minutes, and it finally came to us. Picked it up, took it into the house....my neighbors made some phone calls this AM to see whose doggie it was. Luckily, it had on a collar and tags!...

Otherwise, it would have been terrible for that small doggie out there in the heat today. The owner had been looking for the dog for hours...but it's back home now.

I just called my vet's office and I was told it was fine to give Marty ice cubes on a hot day!

I am glad!!! the reason is that i plan to adopt a dog soon maybe next month. I still plan to ask lots of questions with vet. lol

lol - it's probably cuz of big dogs choking on small ice. it's silly.

I give ice cubes to my dog all the time. he loves it.

Har har.

bet yorkie looks cutie!! i thought he lives with parents.

Yep....was very nice yesterday and late evening...breeze blowing. My doggie had a ball in the backyard.....soon as I carried her into the house, I spotted another dog peeking from behind the bush.....it was a very small miniture poodle, with collar and tags....Tried to call it over....finally knocked on my neighbor's door and we sat out there with the doggie for about 10 minutes, and it finally came to us. Picked it up, took it into the house....my neighbors made some phone calls this AM to see whose doggie it was. Luckily, it had on a collar and tags!...

Otherwise, it would have been terrible for that small doggie out there in the heat today. The owner had been looking for the dog for hours...but it's back home now.

I know it really does help to have some kind of ID and phone # on a dog collar. I was able to find a dog owner that way. I am glad you where able to get the dog back it it owners!

Thinking it might be a very good idea to leave bowls of water outside for any animal having to be out there in this heat.....I have a water fountain and I've seen some cats drinking out of it at times....was wondering, too, if that lost doggie might have seen my fountain and got a drink of water from it....

There was a death in Dallas yesterday attributed to the heat. Ya'll stay safe!

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

We call it "summer."It gets hot every summer. Onthe 100+ days we just move a little slower and drink more water. We keep working, indoors and out. Last Saturday, I shoveled, wheelbarrowed, dumped, and spread at least 48 loads dirt and compost in my garden. I took extra breaks and drank lots of water. I took a refreshing shower after. :)

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

We call it "summer."It gets hot every summer. Onthe 100+ days we just move a little slower and drink more water. We keep working, indoors and out. Last Saturday, I shoveled, wheelbarrowed, dumped, and spread at least 48 loads dirt and compost in my garden. I took extra breaks and drank lots of water. I took a refreshing shower after. :)

I think we spend too much time in A/C <guilty as charged> therefore we can't acclimate to the heat like we (old timers) did back before A/C was prevalent.

Cats are drinking up a storm and lying on the tile floors only. We are keeping the blinds mostly closed and curtains tightly closed in all bedrooms. We have filled all kinds of tubs outside for the feral cats a neighbor feeds. Besides, another neighbor has a dog that's always getting loose and he is now drinking out of one of the tubs and staying in our carport until the owners come home.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

now it has broken the 100 degree mark at the airport. Heat index is at 115.

I think we spend too much time in A/C <guilty as charged> therefore we can't acclimate to the heat like we (old timers) did back before A/C was prevalent.
This is no doubt a major factor. I actually rode my bike aggressively this morning for about an hour. I thought it was so hot! Hottest summer yet. I almost never use A/C in my house too.

Another factor is, this year's summer has been breaking records that old timers has not seen.

I think it could be the food we eat! The food is so processed today , I see a lot people buying a lot meat from the deli and the meat has a lot sodium in it that made you thirsty.

Thinking it might be a very good idea to leave bowls of water outside for any animal having to be out there in this heat.....I have a water fountain and I've seen some cats drinking out of it at times....was wondering, too, if that lost doggie might have seen my fountain and got a drink of water from it....

Made sure you put clean water in the bowl every day or it will become a breeding ground for mosquitoes!

I've got a homemade Frosty Paws recipe that the dogs love. I'll post it around here somewhere.

I found that if I keep a big mug of cold water and sit in my carport it's not too bad. It would be better with a breeze of some sort. I force myself out there at least twice a day for 2 reasons. One, I get all kinds of the natural Vitamin D (sunshine vitamin) and two, it makes me appreciate the little bit of A/C that is blowing in this house. Sometimes I wish MIL had a ceiling fan in the carport, but then again, "if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride."

How to avoid Heat Wave? I moved to San Francisco. It's always 70 degrees here during the summer time. Perfect day to surf!

Heat index is well over 100 today. Humidity at an all-time high. Been like this since Friday. It's supposed to break by this Friday.

Is it Friday yet?

I did not mean as in first heat wave ever in centuries but for this year. I am aware there have been other heat waves before. We have had summers that were much cooler than normal due to severe volcanic eruptions prior to these summers.

Yup, I agree. Also it may be caused by Japan Earthquake that shifted Axis 6.5 inches? :dunno:

Catty

Heat index 119. Rode bike for one hour again. I feel great. My house still doesn't use a/c. Friend came over and said OMG it feels so good! I told him I don't have any a/c on and he was surprised. :D

Insulated homes are great.

Back