House Flies: Evolution in Action in My Apt.

Jazzberry

Reaction score
Somehow my apt. got infested with houseflies. My two cats are usually very good at killing the odd bug or flea but they are useless right now. I suppose they are either on strike or have decided to adopt the pests as pets. :mad:

Nothing works more than once. I put out a container of vinegar mixed with sugar. It worked one night. None of the survivors have gone near the vinegar/sugar mixture after one night.

I put out a plastic container of honey. It worked one night.

I sprayed them with water. Their wings get too soggy to fly and than I could kill them. It worked one day. The survivors are either too quick or their have amazing wings that are soggy proof. :eek3:

I put out an unwashed dinner plate covered with a large clear plastic bag. I was able to keep the flies in while carefully extracting the dinner plate. It worked one night. I have another unwashed plate on a table in a clear plastic baggie that has absolutely no flies. They are buzzing around everywhere but on the plate.

What can I do? I'm willing to use poison as long as it won't kill my cats or make them sick. But I haven't seen any fly poison ads -- most search engine results seem to recommend a vinegar/sugar combo.

Help!

In December? Hmm, that's unique. Just let them fly around til they die. They don't live long. Just make sure you keep your windows shut and check the screens for any holes. Keep the doors closed at all times.

Get a few swatters and some friends. Have a bounty system; something like a dollar a fly. Enjoy.

those 38 cent fly traps work pretty good. you could always bomb your house but make sure you remove the critters you want alive while its being done.

Then check for all holes.

In December? Hmm, that's unique. Just let them fly around til they die. They don't live long. Just make sure you keep your windows shut and check the screens for any holes. Keep the doors closed at all times.

Yes, that is odd isn't it? I've been eating more fruits and veggies and I've been keeping some of the fruit outside of my fridge. Disgusting as the thought may be, perhaps the fruit is the source of very small fly eggs and I need to find room in my fridge for all of the fruit to kill the eggs?

One of the grocery stores is on an ecological kick and is pushing paper bags over plastic. I like to keep grocery bags to throw out my garbage, but I guess I need to toss the paper bags immediately.

It has been unseasonably warm but it still drops to the 40s at night. I don't know how cold it has to be to kill flies.

This is frustrating. I like to keep my windows open (I have a tiny apt with no air circulation), but I'll close them for now.

Thanks for the advice.

those 38 cent fly traps work pretty good. you could always bomb your house but make sure you remove the critters you want alive while its being done.

I remember them. When I was a kid, a friend of mine always got himself all wrapped up and stuck in these fly traps. How? I don't know, he was just a klutz.

You also need to kill the eggs.
They usually lay in moist areas like sink drains. Keep those airtight when not in use and pour boiling vinegar down them a few times, especially the kitchen sink.
The adult fies only live a few days max and if they can't lay eggs or the eggs can't hatch then the population usually dies off in a week.

Also any standing water should be changed frequently or in the case of fish tanks made so the surface isn't smooth, to prevent eggs from being laid there.
Flies can also lay on fruits, keep any fruits in the fridge and peels need to be sealed so that the hatchlings cannot spread.
Change and toss animal litter daily to prevent eggs hatching there.

I had this problem before, it's like hell.

Goodluck

Yes, that is odd isn't it? I've been eating more fruits and veggies and I've been keeping some of the fruit outside of my fridge. Disgusting as the thought may be, perhaps the fruit is the source of very small fly eggs and I need to find room in my fridge for all of the fruit to kill the eggs?

One of the grocery stores is on an ecological kick and is pushing paper bags over plastic. I like to keep grocery bags to throw out my garbage, but I guess I need to toss the paper bags immediately.

It has been unseasonably warm but it still drops to the 40s at night. I don't know how cold it has to be to kill flies.

This is frustrating. I like to keep my windows open (I have a tiny apt with no air circulation), but I'll close them for now.

Thanks for the advice.

My suggestion is to get a window fan that can seal the window. You won't get as many flies, but it's better than having a lot. Also, cover your fruits with tea towels or something similar. They keep the flies from laying eggs on them.

Thanks for the advice.

I think the cold killing off flies are a myth. Every time I go to the cabin in the dead of winter (temps below 0F) and heat the cabin up... flies come around.

They freeze and wake up when its warm.

I think the cold killing off flies are a myth. Every time I go to the cabin in the dead of winter (temps below 0F) and heat the cabin up... flies come around.

They freeze and wake up when its warm.

Yeah, you can put them in the freezer, then take them out and they'll wake up.

I'll try the traps first. Its December in NY, I hope I can find a store that is selling them now.

You also need to kill the eggs.
They usually lay in moist areas like sink drains. Keep those airtight when not in use and pour boiling vinegar down them a few times, especially the kitchen sink.
The adult fies only live a few days max and if they can't lay eggs or the eggs can't hatch then the population usually dies off in a week.

Also any standing water should be changed frequently or in the case of fish tanks made so the surface isn't smooth, to prevent eggs from being laid there.
Flies can also lay on fruits, keep any fruits in the fridge and peels need to be sealed so that the hatchlings cannot spread.
Change and toss animal litter daily to prevent eggs hatching there.

I had this problem before, it's like hell.

I'm adding a sink drain plug to the shopping list. Boiling vinegar? Holy sh*t Batman! I never heard of that before. I imagine that it will stink to high heaven, but I'm doing this. It may drive me out of my apt. before it drives the flies out, but I'm still giving it a try.

Thanks. :)

My suggestion is to get a window fan that can seal the window. You won't get as many flies, but it's better than having a lot. Also, cover your fruits with tea towels or something similar. They keep the flies from laying eggs on them.

Window fan may have to go on a shopping list for next spring -- but I have tea towels. Never thought of using them that way before. Brilliant. All the suggestions here have been brilliant. Thank you all! I'm glad I posted. :)

Yep, lots of those type of stores in NYC. LoL. J/K. Well, I can always order over the internet if necc.

ahh.. saw you were in NY state in your locations. Lot of them ranch stores out that way.
:P NYC? I'd just drop by Lanapoo's house.. I bet she has some.

Back