Hotel ADA

illustrator

Reaction score
Have anyone got ADA kit from hotel or motel?

What is that? The Americans with Disabilities Act requires all hotels and motels to make their facilities equally accessible to thoese with physcial disabilities. For hearing impaired guests, hotels and motels are required to provide rooms equipped with notification devices, telephone amplifiers and TDDs.

I haven't try that before because that seem I have been spend to get "free motel" at any of my relation's place. :mrgreen:

But, I am try to keep in my mind for in future, I would need one. :thumb:

Wow. Did not know that. thanks for letting me know. smiles. Have a great day.

I never really have the need for an ADA Kit. The only thing I really need is an alarm clock which I usually bring along myself anyway.

There's been several times when I was traveling across USA that some of the motels never had a TDD kit. I tend to use Super 8 motels because of the discounts. Only one out of all those motels had a TDD when I was offered when I checked in. That was in Chicago. I just never used it, though.

Ok, remember this.. some fancy hotels can provide ADA kits whereas cheap motels don't have ADA kits (except for ADA bathrooms and CC TVs). Search hotel listings on AAA tourbooks and they give you an idea about non hearing symbol.:D

All you have to do is ask them if they have an ADA kit. When I rent a room in New York City, they always made sure I got one. It usually included door knocker sensor, alarm bed vibrator and a TTY. It also would include a fire alarm alerter, if the room isn't installed with one.

I remember when I was on a field trip with my class from college, my professor requested them an ADA kit. They said they had it. Then I hooked the alarm up and went to sleep. I never informed my classmates about it. When the alarm went off, the guy who slept in the bed with me jumped up and ran to the corner. It was hilarious, I had to laugh sooooo hard.

On that same field trip, we stayed in another city, and they gave us a room with a TV that wasn't captioned. My professor was funny and decided to give the hotel a hard time. They ended up giving me my own room! It was nice having the whole room to myself! :laugh2:

Originally posted by kuifje75
All you have to do is ask them if they have an ADA kit. When I rent a room in New York City, they always made sure I got one. It usually included door knocker sensor, alarm bed vibrator and a TTY. It also would include a fire alarm alerter, if the room isn't installed with one.

I remember when I was on a field trip with my class from college, my professor requested them an ADA kit. They said they had it. Then I hooked the alarm up and went to sleep. I never informed my classmates about it. When the alarm went off, the guy who slept in the bed with me jumped up and ran to the corner. It was hilarious, I had to laugh sooooo hard.

On that same field trip, we stayed in another city, and they gave us a room with a TV that wasn't captioned. My professor was funny and decided to give the hotel a hard time. They ended up giving me my own room! It was nice having the whole room to myself! :laugh2:
You're full of humorous!:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Originally posted by illustrator
Have anyone got ADA kit from hotel or motel?

What is that? The Americans with Disabilities Act requires all hotels and motels to make their facilities equally accessible to thoese with physcial disabilities. For hearing impaired guests, hotels and motels are required to provide rooms equipped with notification devices, telephone amplifiers and TDDs.

I haven't try that before because that seem I have been spend to get "free motel" at any of my relation's place. :mrgreen:

But, I am try to keep in my mind for in future, I would need one. :thumb:

Yeah...I believe a lot of motels such as Motel 6 do provide that if you request for one...but the one I used at a Motel 6 asked if I wanted a tty and door knocker flasher for the night I was staying.

That happened in the mid 90's...so that was impressive to find those in place. :)

I always request for ADA kit.. most hotels have it under the desk,
I always attend Best Western or holiday inn. both have it for sure. most hotels in small town don't have ADA kit but they're willing to order it and get it within couple hours. (from other hotel i think)
some clerks don't know what ADA kit for deaf is... I had to explain them " a black suitcase with Text Telephone, alarm clock, etc.." hate to explain those! sometimes it takes them long time to fiqure out even a manager don't know oh please! manager did call the owner and they found it, god! wish they train the employee's where it is and what it is for..:)

Back