Hopefully he does go to jail in Peru, or somewhere.

Berry

Reaction score
So I'm sitting at my computer when the phone rings. "Hello. This is your grandson."

Cool. I got a bunch. "Which one is this?"

"I'll give you a hint. I'm your oldest."

"Well, its been a while. How you doing?"

"My friend Steven won a trip to Peru and invited me to join him. So I'm down here."

"Great, send me pictures. Sounds like fun."

"Sure thing. By the way I got a little problem. Nothing serious. But see my friend Steven and I got a ride from these other two people in the hotel and when the cops pulled us over there was some marijuana in the car. Now I need $1,500 to bail myself out. You know I'd never touch that stuff."

Oooops.

We are talking my oldest grandson here. We live in northern California. No way do I have a grand child who "has never touched the stuff." A couple of them have only done it once or twice, but absolutely none of them would tell me that lie.

"One sec. Uh, what is the name of your youngest sister?"

"Can't believe you'd ask me that. Don't you trust me?"

"What is your grandmother's name?"

"Don't you care I'm in trouble down here in Peru?"

When I told one of my grand daughters about it -- she works in a place where money can be wired -- she told me just a couple of days ago an old couple came in to wire $1,500 to their grandson in Peru. She tried to talk them out of it, told them it did not sound right to her, but they were adamant. Their grandson was in trouble and they were going to rescue him.

Don't you wonder how they knew your age group?

Don't you wonder how they knew your age group?

We figured they were targeting older people in the hopes of finding someone who would get emotional and forget to ask, or feel guilty about asking, rude questions. Younger people might be a little more critical. Also you are more apt to lose contact with your grandson and not recognize their voice as quickly.

Also older hearing people were drilled to always be polite. Maybe it is my having spent time around Deaf people. They are more direct, less worried about "offending" someone with a straight question.

The lines, "How can you ask me that? Don't you trust me?" are designed to pull out the guilt and the apologies from hearing people who fear direct conversation.

Yikes on the phone? That's a step up. I've heard of it happening online, but never thought it'd move to the point on a phone call. Someone had impersonated me online and messaged my dad last year, it was kind of interesting. I still have the chat log. I learned some things I never knew about myself. :giggle: (excuse my dad's english, I know it's not perfect)

Scammer: are you there ?
Sent at 2:19 AM on Wednesday
My pops: yes
why you wake up
grad school sent you letter -they need you send them transcriptions etc.
Sent at 2:33 AM on Wednesday
Scammer: Are you there ?
My pops: yes
Scammer: I've seen the listing
I got a distress call thats why am up
My pops: who called
Scammer: An old friend
she went on vacation to the United Kingdom
unluckily for her she got mugged at gun point
My pops: mugged at gun point?
you need some more sleep i guess
Scammer: yes
she needs me to loan her some bucks
My pops: i see
Scammer: but i'm down financially
My pops: your mom had deposited some $ i think
Scammer: can you loan me some bucks to assist her with ?
I will refund it as soon as she gets back home
My pops: How much
Scammer: $650
Sent at 2:51 AM on Wednesday
My pops: Why to her?
And so much?
Who is she?
EMAIL ME LATER - I GOT TO SLEEP NOW
Scammer: she is an old friend of mine
My pops: Send me details by email soon
Scammer: what details do you need ?
My pops: AND you trust her
how long retyourn us the $
Scammer: I do
My pops: etc
Scammer: in a couple of days
My pops: where she lives
Scammer: she stays in Doraville
My pops: which state?
Dalaware?
Scammer: GA
My pops: she is from L.A>?
schoolmate?
or?
Scammer: She stays with her mom is Morgantown but had to move to her dad since the demise of her mom
I'm really worried about her
My pops: youmeanyoujust met her for months time
Scammer: She's a vry nice lady
My pops: girl you met in the town?
My pops: from where?
and why in UK now?
Scammer: she went on a vacation trip
My pops: called me tomorrow day time, got to sleep
ok
Scammer: is there any assistance i can get from you ?
What details should i email to you ?
My pops: if ok i can send her by moneygram, this does not mean i agreed
Scammer: I tyourst her
My pops: why you cannot tell me directly how deep you know each other etc
Scammer: she's gonna refund it as soon as she gets back home
My pops: talk to me in 8 hours later.....
ok
Scammer: 8 hours ?
My pops: i want to sleep now
Scammer: she needs to get out of there in a couple of hours
My pops: it is 3 a.m. here
Scammer: i know. she's an American
My pops: why she called you, not others
Scammer: she called others too but we are best of friends
My pops: in your class!?
My pops: soonest i can do is your time 10 am
talk then
Scammer: can you send it through western union
?
My pops: i need to talk to you later
it is possible
Scammer: Alright
I will look for here at the said time.
Please i really count on you and i will never disappoint you
Sent at 3:05 AM on Wednesday
My pops: her family has no money to send her
u know her family ?
Scammer: Yes .. Her dad is laid back and presently on wheel chair
My pops: in 9 a.m. your time tell your mom as she went to bed early
i hope she will agree
she has all $
Scammer: I don't want to let her know about it thats why i never tell her anything about it
My pops: i remember when you were a small boy you gave a beggar $5 in Tijuana and it surprised all of us
when you are just few years old
I believe you can do this for me without my mom knowing anything about it
My pops: but I need to know more
details, right
Scammer: what details ?
My pops: there must be a reason that she called you, not others for such amount of $
Sent at 3:13 AM on Wednesday
Scammer: She believes so much in me and also she has assisted me in some ways back then
she is a very nice, kind hearted, humble and honest lady
My pops: but now she called for $
right?
what happened to her mom you said
Scammer: she never asked for it but i promise to assist her get back home so she can refund it when she gets back
Her mom is dead
My pops: i see
but most people still in shcool
taking exams
and she in vacation
Scammer: she's no more here
My pops: you know mom has all the $
i have only 70 on hands
Scammer: Please i don't want to get her informed about it. I will refund it as soon as she gets back
My pops: why you dont want her to know this
Scammer: She won't let me help her
My pops: mom, she has the $
Sent at 3:18 AM on Wednesday
My pops: so you dont want more sleep now by this case
which seems it worried you a lot
Scammer: I'm very worried
My pops: what the $ goes for her
she use it for what
Scammer: for her hotel bill and renewing her flight ticket which she already missed
My pops: what she works for in there - your city?
Scammer: she works Part Time for a hotel
My pops: i text you 5 minutes later
i must turn this off
Scammer: call me where ?
My pops: where are you now?
Scammer: in my room
My pops: that is where i will webcam you
Scammer: lets talk here
My pops: there you are
Sent at 3:46 AM on Wednesday
Scammer: Yes
Sent at 3:54 AM on Wednesday
My pops: what is your phone
Scammer: I don't want mom to know about the assistance i'm about to render
My pops: call me now
Scammer: I can't call you from home
My pops: where ryounow
Scammer: in my room
My pops: where
Sent at 3:58 AM on Wednesday
My pops: ok give me her info so i can ...
but there must b a city name
Sent at 4:00 AM on Wednesday
Scammer: Name : Susan Xing
Address: 1092 Old Suffolk Rd
City: Suffolk
State: Ipswich
My pops: and contact phone
Scammer: +44 702 402 1962
I will never disappoint you
My pops: how old is she
Scammer: the cash will be refunded in a couple of days
Sent at 4:04 AM on Wednesday

Scammer: Are you there ?
Sent at 4:07 AM on Wednesday
My pops: WHERE you LIVE NOW
WE are looking for you!
Scammer: who ?\
My pops: YOU
Scammer: why ?
Sent at 4:22 AM on Wednesday
My pops: THE POLICE MAN IS ASKING
Sent at 4:23 AM on Wednesday

Better Business Bureau Issues Red Alert About Scams - Rochester, News, Weather, Sports, and Events - 13WHAM.com

Blame on facebook, tweeter, and other social media! Be careful what you say on the Net. Scammer is on the Net too!

I got scam e mail, claimed to be one of my best friend. I caught easy because I know my best friend will never do these things, secondly always check E mail address carefully. Not just by looking at e mail itself, click properties and check background to see if there is any irregular. I did and caught irregular (Scammer add extra i after i in it in attempt to hide) and knew it is scam right away. I found out later by asking my best friend, he said he wish he is in UK (As Scammer claimed).

Yikes on the phone? That's a step up. I've heard of it happening online, but never thought it'd move to the point on a phone call. Someone had impersonated me online and messaged my dad last year, it was kind of interesting. I still have the chat log. I learned some things I never knew about myself. :giggle: (excuse my dad's english, I know it's not perfect)

Love the ending. "The police man asking" I bet the scammer about shat himself when he saw that. :laugh2:

Your dad seems not to have been taken in! I love it when these scammers fail!

Yeah that sucks, one way you can do is. Don't worry I will call you back to save your toll charges. Scammer will react, and you will know for sure. U did great job! LOL

i got the almost exact same email from my cousin - it turned out that his account got hacked and someone attempted a scam in his name.

Honestly, I don't know how people fall for this sort of scam.

What is important isn't your pop's English. It is his smarts. He was smart enough to not be taken in.

Better to be smart than perfect spoken.

I just got scammed by someone who uses other person's name on facebook. This am I reported him to FB.

Scammer: Hello?

Me, Hello &*(&()*&, how are you? I just got off from work at 7 pm tonight. Hope all is well with you and your family.

Scammer: we doing fine and you ?

have a good news for you and hope you will be happy to hear.

Have you heard the good news About John Ghatto, Special Agent in Charge of humanity and poverty eradication,Department to help the poor,deafs and Hearing in the Community?

Me; No I never heard of him. Interesting, do tell more

Scammer: John Ghatto, He work for Federal agency.I'd talk to him on Yahoo and on Here and he let me know about my money $50,000,00.Because they help people?. Have you got yours from him?

Me: No I never heard of him nor got it from him. thank you for the information but I am fine without the good news.

Scammer: But your name is among those who will get the money and you need to contact the man and claim your Fund. let him know You are Ready to claim your Fund okay. and also let him know i told you about this okay.

Me:I am not that stupid to fall for this. I am going report this to fb and block you.

I could not find the name on FB or anywhere. This is second time I deal with scammers on FB.

MIL got this same call. It was funny because at first they said that it was her son. Well, her son (my hubby) was sitting next to her and he is an only child. She told him that couldn't be true as her son was sitting here, then they said that in actuality it was regarding her grandson. Well, guess again, if hubby is an only child, then my son is the only grandson and he was also in the same room. The poor guy on the phone just didn't know what to say to he hung up.

LOL! Friggin hilarious, man! Now I can see where you got your methodical, inquisitive nature.

Back