Honey leaves travelers stuck at airport for hours

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
Suspected hazardous material at a California airport turned out to be honey.

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- The substance that spurred an evacuation at a California airport Tuesday was simply honey, the Kern County Sheriff's Department said.

The security scare happened after Transportation Security Administration agents found what they believed to be a potentially hazardous substance inside a passenger's luggage.

"None of the items inside the bag contained explosive or hazardous material, and the liquid inside the five bottles was identified as honey," the sheriff's department said in a statement.

The Meadows Field Airport had been evacuated and shut down for several hours Tuesday morning after authorities found what they called a hazardous substance.

The man whose bag was flagged, told authorities that he had honey packaged in five bottles, Deputy Michael Whorf, spokesman for the Kern County Sheriff's Department told CNN.

The 31-year-old man cooperated with authorities and was released with no charges against him, Whorf said.

The trouble started when two TSA agents were doing a routine swab of the man's bag, which tested positive for a hazardous substance, Whorf said.

The agents who discovered the substance opened the bag and both became nauseated, Whorf said. They were transported to the hospital and later released.

The preliminary tests using the swabs indicated the presence of the explosives TNT and triacetone triperoxide, known as TATP, Whorf said.

The man told authorities that he was on a flight from Bakersfield, California, where he had visited relatives, back to his home in Milwaukee, and was carrying the bottles of honey back with him.

Flights in and out of Meadow Fields resumed Tuesday afternoon.

Wow, Who would have thought Honey could have triggered it as an hazardous substance?

Honey leaves travelers stuck at airport for hours - CNN.com

looks like the TSA agents are allergic to honey :lol:

it's hilarious how much psychosomatics is involved - "The agents who discovered the substance opened the bag and both became nauseated, Whorf said. They were transported to the hospital and later released."

Oh really? Honey is not toxic at all. :)

it's hilarious how much psychosomatics is involved - "The agents who discovered the substance opened the bag and both became nauseated, Whorf said. They were transported to the hospital and later released."

You might want to try sniffing a large quantity of pure fresh honey. It can get quite overpowering. The smell of pure fresh honey is nothing comparable to honey at supermarket.

but I actually lol'ed at that sentence. it was so nauseating that they ended up at hospital? LOL!

You might want to try sniffing a large quantity of pure fresh honey. It can get quite overpowering. The smell of pure fresh honey is nothing comparable to honey at supermarket.

but I actually lol'ed at that sentence. it was so nauseating that they ended up at hospital? LOL!

Ha! Yeah, I found it odd when they actually ended up at the hospital. I know that Honey has a strong odor, especially with larger quantities, but, I have not heard of such case where it causes nausea.

And, I find it curious as to how the honey was able to trigger to show that it has explosive ingredients in it since honey is usually natural made with little chemicals in it. That is what baffles me.

And, I find it curious as to how the honey was able to trigger to show that it has explosive ingredients in it since honey is usually natural made with little chemicals in it. That is what baffles me.

no no - the TSA agent did not take the sample of honey to test it. They only swabbed the man's bag - just like what they did to my bag at airport. The swab is a stamp-size paper (unless they're using different tool) and they insert it into computer.

From the article - it said that the agent was performing routine swab test and it was tested positive for a trace of TNT and TATP. I'm not surprised this happened because this man got some nice pure honey fresh out of bee farm. Farm means fertilizer and other chemicals. Some fertilizer contains a trace of TATP. The Oklahoma FBI Bombing was blown up by massive quantity of fertilizer and other chemical.

that's just my guess..... :dunno:

looks like the TSA agents are allergic to honey :lol:

Perhaps they should hire Winnie Pooh as one of them and he will take care of honey with no problem. :laugh2:

winnie_the_pooh.jpg

Last edited:
There would not be odor coming from 5 sealed jars of honey. I think these guys maybe thought they were gonna die.

There would not be odor coming from 5 sealed jars of honey. I think these guys maybe thought they were gonna die.

lol sounds like a case of exaggerated overreaction. reminds me of this old clip

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl3D5_wXADI[/ame]

:lol: For real? This stuff is bad for my blood sugar but... toxic..? What are they doing to our honey? :squint:

I heard about this on the news yesterday! It was quite funny. It sounds like they are overprotective, but to be honest, nothing is too protective when it comes to the safety of hundreds (and possibly thousands) of human beings.

Maybe that's why the agents got sick from honey..

df20000518.jpg

no no - the TSA agent did not take the sample of honey to test it. They only swabbed the man's bag - just like what they did to my bag at airport. The swab is a stamp-size paper (unless they're using different tool) and they insert it into computer.

From the article - it said that the agent was performing routine swab test and it was tested positive for a trace of TNT and TATP. I'm not surprised this happened because this man got some nice pure honey fresh out of bee farm. Farm means fertilizer and other chemicals. Some fertilizer contains a trace of TATP. The Oklahoma FBI Bombing was blown up by massive quantity of fertilizer and other chemical.

that's just my guess..... :dunno:

No, No, I knew the TSA agents didn't take a sample of the honey. I know how they do the swab test as I have seen how they do it in the bag. I was just questioning how they made an issue out of the honey that triggered the test result to say otherwise. It is possible that there were remains of the fertilizer and other chemicals that were transferred from the bottle of the honey to in the bag. I just find all of this incident really amusing but yet, it was just out the loop.

That is probably why, ha! :lol:

Back