Honda Civic: New Timing Belt comb replacement

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
Hi, I pick up my son's 2003 Honda Civic last Sunday for timing belt replacement. My son told me about week ago, he heard strange noise from the engine, can't explain what kind of noises, if you depress clutch pedal little then noise went away. Sounds like bad throw out bearing or pilot bearing. Anyway, I ordered the major timing belt kit that come with new water pump, timing belt, tensioner, valve cover gasket, thermostat and hardware last Friday then collect my tools from toolbox afterwork(end of Saturday day, got 3 day offs, Mon-Tue-Wed). Last Tuesday, I replaced the rest of the new parts includes cam/crank seals too. One big frustration is a tensioner bolt got stripped inside female threaded hole when I tighten it about 25 ft lbs, says oh f---. I went to my work to pick up Heli-coil repair kit from my toolbox, heading back to my house to fix stripped thread hole, cost me about 3 hours in trip time and repair stripped thread hole alone. I'm luck cuz I have good surgical tools in my garage. With Heli-coil installed I tighten a bolt to about 30 ft lbs (I didn't use my torque wrench). I call it a day. Next morning (Wed), I filled a radiator with Genuine Honda Anti-Freeze coolant, drive around the block, looks fine. Next weekend, I will change new clutch plate assy.
Prior to new timing belt replacement, this car is about 102K miles on it.
The rest of the parts cost me $196.33
Here is part breakdown:
T-Belt Kit w/Water pump...............$132.19
Valve Cover Gasket.......................$19.34
Thermostat w/gasket.....................$16.39
Genuine Honda Anti-Freeze coolant $ 15.38 a gallon
Cam/Crank seals..........................$13.03
No labor include

I got Sachs clutch kit this morning from WorldPac to replace old clutch assy tmw evening or Sunday. The clutch kit come with new throw-out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing and align tool. Cool

I arrived home from work, notice Honda on the driveway is missing, I guess my sister took it for visiting her friend somewhere (she just came here from Hawaii few days ago, stay in my house for while). My wife told me she took my car, stay in my mother's house overnight, return it on Saturday evening. I says What?, told her I need it for clutch work tmw. Sound like I take it to my work on Sunday to do the clutch. Change of plan...:mad:

I arrived home from work, notice Honda on the driveway is missing, I guess my sister took it for visiting her friend somewhere (she just came here from Hawaii few days ago, stay in my house for while). My wife told me she took my car, stay in my mother's house overnight, return it on Saturday evening. I says What?, told her I need it for clutch work tmw. Sound like I take it to my work on Sunday to do the clutch. Change of plan...:mad:

tag-2-sided-out-of-service-tag-card-stock-red-15-tg-500.jpg

You should do that one for Honda. :D

Last edited:
tag-2-sided-out-of-service-tag-card-stock-red-15-tg-500.jpg

You should that one for Honda. :D

Lol, I don't have it. I go with clutch job tmw (Sunday) because I have a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee here for leaky heater core, the labor for hearer core replacement is 6 hours, still wait for customer approval. I don't think it will be done at the end of day. Horrible job, pain in the azz.....

My sister says she heard loud noise when cruise on the freeway, little noise in neutral and depress clutch pedal. I told her that car need new clutch kit tmw. Must be throw-out bearing failure cuz she describe noise like rubbing and little grinding. I will find out tmw then post it....

I brought Honda in the service bay this morning at around 7:30, 1 1/2 hour later the tranny finally drop, examine throw-out bearing, seem normal, pilot bearing looks fine, check input shaft snout where it connect to pilot bearing, show no sign of wear. I turn the input shaft by my hand, feel like bad meshing (tranny in neutral position), like I says oh dang, then check gear oil for condition, found shiny metallic, that point to bad ball bearing failure. I decide to put new clutch kit and re install tranny. I changed oil/ filter(I already drained oil prior to tranny removal), rotates tires and clean/adjust rear brake. Leave the service station at 2:30pm. I'm pleasure with soft clutch pedal better than hard clutch pedal effort, save my knee. I ll bring it back tmw, ask my mechanic to listen the noises.

Bad news... My mechanic says bad ball bearings in transmission.. Geez.. Try to locate Honda dismantle for price quote on used tranny...

I got price quote from Nippon Motors Inc, rebuilt tranny cost $950 exchange. I order it and will delivery to my work on Wednesday then do R&R tranny next Sunday....

Here is some revised from Nippon Motors Inc, they says the rebuilt tranny will be delivery next month cuz their tech is on vacation, sell used tranny (low mileage)for $850 plus $150 core, I told them I keep old tranny that means I pay $150 core fee. Total $1,000. One another remanufactured transmission firm quotes $1,250 exchange, 3 years warranty/100K mileage. I gamble with used tranny over reman tranny. I can swap trannies, save old tranny for rebuilt and resale in the future.

Bad news... My mechanic says bad ball bearings in transmission.. Geez.. Try to locate Honda dismantle for price quote on used tranny...

I don't get it. You was test turned the input shaft by your hand and you knew it was bad then put it back in Honda? Now your mechanic says bad ball bearing.

May I see the picture of bad ball bearing? I never see it as bad before.

I don't get it. You was test turned the input shaft by your hand and you knew it was bad then put it back in Honda? Now your mechanic says bad ball bearing.

May I see the picture of bad ball bearing? I never see it as bad before.

The input shaft bearings are inside the case, can not take bearing out. No time to disassemble tranny. That's why I put it back because the car on the rack must move out at the end of day or next morning, allow incoming vehicles for services you know what the gas station looks like.... Funny thing that I put my hand on shifting knob, feeling like bad grinding or meshing that's what my sister explains to me when she heard loud noises while driving on the road, the noise was reduce when change to 5th gear.

The input shaft bearings are inside the case, can not take bearing out. No time to disassemble tranny. That's why I put it back because the car on the rack must move out at the end of day or next morning, allow incoming vehicles for services you know what the gas station looks like.... Funny thing that I put my hand on shifting knob, feeling like bad grinding or meshing that's what my sister explains to me when she heard loud noises while driving on the road, the noise was reduce when change to 5th gear.

Ah make sense. Can't you push car away from the service without the transmission? Just save time.

I suppose to put a subframe back, support the engine,leave tranny on the hydraulic jack, push a car out of the bay. The reason is no room for tranny on the bench, too crowd around the shop. I'll send u pix in PM

Back