Homeschooling

Teachers

Teacher training for a teaching career in lower secondary schools is provided, as for all teaching careers, in two training phases (see 5.). The first phase usually comprises a six- to ten-semester course of study at an institution of higher education, including at least two subject areas, educational sciences and subject-oriented didactics. In addition, students must participate in practical training periods lasting several weeks.

Teachers training for teaching careers in general education subjects at the upper secondary level or at Gymnasien is provided, as for all teaching careers, in two training phases (see 5.). The first phase comprises an 8- to 10-semester (in an artistic subject area, sometimes 12-semester) study course including at least two subject areas. Subject-area studies, including subject-oriented didactics, are supplemented by courses in educational science and practical placements in schools lasting several weeks, and by at least one subject-specific teaching placement during the study course in at least one of the two teaching subjects.

Teacher training incorporating a teaching qualification for vocational school subject areas for teaching subject-related theory and general education subjects comprises an 8- to 10-semester course of study. The requirements are:

- subject-related practical training for at least 12 months in relevant companies;

- an educational sciences component, usually an advanced course in a subject area of vocational education, and a course in a primarily general education subject;

- a practical placement lasting several weeks at a vocational school and, where possible, an additional placement in social work.

In order to take into account the special needs of the various Länder, training for teaching careers at vocational schools sometimes takes very different forms. This is true, for example, of the subject areas (and combinations) permitted, the practical placements, and other framework conditions affecting the content and duration of courses.

5. TEACHERS
Teacher training for all school types and teaching careers is organized in two phases:

- A study programme at a higher education institution, e.g. university, technical university (Technische Hochschule / Technische Universität), comprehensive university (Universität-Gesamthochschule), teacher training college (Pädagogische Hochschule), college of art or music (Kunsthochschule, Musikhochschule), which is geared to the requirements of the teaching profession and the required certificates, and includes student-teacher practical training components as an integrated part of the course.

- A pedagogical-practical training programme in the form of a Vorbereitungsdienst (preparatory service) at seminars for teacher training and training schools.
This course of study leads to the First State Examination (Erste Staatsprüfung) which serves as an entrance qualification for the preparatory service. Depending on laws specific to each Land, appropriate diploma examinations can take the place of the First State Examination in some cases (e.g. for teachers in certain subjects areas at vocational schools).

Representing the second phase of teacher training, the preparatory service serves as practical teacher training. Depending on the Land and type of teaching career, the duration of this training varies from 18 to 24 months. The Vorbereitungsdienst consists of sitting in on lectures (Hospitation), guided and independent teaching at training schools, and participation in general or subject-specific seminars where the experience gained in practical situations is discussed and analysed in greater detail. This training period leads to the Second State Examination (Zweite Staatsprüfung) for teachers, which is the prerequisite - but not a guarantee - for finally obtaining a teaching position.

Teachers at public sector schools in the Federal Republic of Germany are usually civil servants. Their legal status is defined by the Civil Service Code in the particular Land, which are in turn based on the Civil Service Framework Act (Beamtenrechtsrahmengesetz). In the new Länder, teachers currently have the status of employees. Although they have not yet been made civil servants, this is planned as soon as a suitable legal assessment has been made of the salary levels of teachers who received their training in the former GDR.

All teachers are required to undergo in-service training, the intention being to ensure that teachers keep abreast of developments in their fields and to offer them an opportunity to obtain additional qualifications. The Further Training Institutes for the Teaching Profession established by the Ministries of Education and Cultural Affairs offer a wide range of courses which address problems specific to individual types of school and class levels, as well as those of more general significance, including legal matters and school administration.

http://www.land.salzburg.at/htblha/cyber/GERMAN.HTM If you want to read more then see this link to read everything.

Liebling:)))'s Edit: You see why I dont support homeschooling because I want my children learn from that qualifed teachers who give them right education. That's how I learn alot from my children when they brought their homeworks and interesting education.

Magatsu, home schooling is the same as with any parental decision (discipline, family rules, etc.). It really depends on the parents and children involved.

My mother home schooled 7 children. I was home schooled from pre school through 12th grade. Why? When my oldest sisters were old enough to enter school, my mom looked into the schools in their area. They found that the children, even in 3rd grade, couldn't read, write, or do math well. My parents decided to home school until they moved to a better school system.

However, we ended up moving quite often (as I mentioned in the "How many times have you moved?" topic) and it was more convenient for my mom to continue home schooling. I loved being home schooled. I loved the flexibility. When I was twelve, I had a job where I worked twice a month during school hours. I was able to do this without any problem. Also, I became very close to my siblings and mother. My mom is very intelligent are loves to teach. She taught us algebra while making it interesting. That's a rare talent indeed.

As to people's misguided ideas about social issues. Have you ever heard of neighbors? My siblings and I were always outside playing with friends. Don't have neighbors or live in an area where children don't go outside and play? Put your children in sports, in a class at school. The schools where I currently live allow home schooling children to come in for one or two classes at the school. My youngest brother will be taking music and art at an elementary school in the fall. Also, there are many, many home schooling organizations where your kids can "socialize". Rec center in your area? take them to the rec center. Many rec centers have after school activities and programs. The list of "social" opportunities is endless. Me? I haven't a problem in the world socializing. I love people and I love making friends. I have actually surprised many people who have the same "socializing" myths because I don't have problems with people. I haven't yet met a person who was home schooled and had problems in that area.

Pros and cons?

Cons:
Restlessness. In 3 of my classes this semester (one of which is ASL), I am required to sit and maintain eye contact with the professor. The eye contact in itself is not a problem, is the just sitting and looking. I am used to doing something when I'm in school, not listening to the teacher, so sometimes I have problems with that. When we were in school, we went through and did our work and asked our mom if we had problems. The books have instructions, so when we got older, my mom didn't do a lot of talking while we were doing school.

Parental stress. It can be very stressful on a parent to be responsible every day for their children's schooling. They must plan lessons and such. It's time-consuming between actual teaching and the planning.

Lack of equipment. Many home schooling parent can't afford, or simply won't buy, things like lab equipment. I admit, however, I never minded not having to dissect a frog. Watching and reading about it was enough to turn my stomach. However, we did many other of the experiments, so for me, it was a nice balance :)

Field trips. My family took field trips, but if you are tight in finances, home schooling students don't get to take the same kinds of field trip.

Pros:
Academic flexibility. The student may go through the subjects as quickly as you want. Alternately, students who need more work in a subject may take more time.

Self-motivation. Many home schooled students (and parents) learn self-motivation. Of the (unofficial) polls I’ve taken, the home schooled students are more self-motivated than the ones who attended public school.

Time flexibility. As I mentioned before, you have more flexibility with home schooling. You can arrange schooling around doctor and dentist visits, for instance.

One-on-one time. Home schooling allows parents to give their children more personalized help with a section or subject that they are having problems with. It’s like having a tutor during class time.

More efficient use of time. We didn’t have things like “teacher work days” or assembly or long lectures from the teacher. We did our work during class time instead of having to listen to the teacher speak, so we didn’t have as much homework.

Family relationships. So many children these days are in numerous extracurricular activities. Between school and activities, parents hardly see their children. Children hardly see their siblings. Home schooling allows children and parents to create strong relationships with each other. I’ve had many friends comment on how they admire my mother’s and my relationship. Well, I saw my mom everyday and she knows me inside and out. I also got to know my siblings. My eldest sister is 8 years old than I, and my youngest brother is 11 years younger. Had we been in school, we’d have hardly seen each other between that and activities.

Ease in learning. Because my mother taught us all through school, she learned how each of us learned the best and what worked with each child. Because she knew us so well, she new exactly how to explain things to each of us. That’s something a teacher can’t do.

Relaxed atmosphere. Schooling at home is relaxed in compared to attending a public school. I often did school on the sofa or in the yard. It’s easier to concentrate when you’re comfortable.

Special issues. My 9 year old brother has type 1 diabetes (childhood diabetes, where the pancreas shuts down and can no longer make insulin). Because of this, he must get shots several times a day and must eat a certain diet. He was diagnosed when he was 6. I think it’s only normal for a young child to be afraid of shots, but it’s even worse when it’s a stranger at a strange school. Imagine a 6 year old who’s just been in the hospital and his whole life has been turned upside down by an incurable disease and now he’s expected to attend school and have a nurse that he’s never met give him shots. Of course, diabetes is much more complicated that just that, but my parents still felt that it would be better for him, at that time, to be home schooled. And of course, there are many other special issues that arise that may make a parent feel like they need to stay home.

Curriculum. In public school, you send your child to school and they learn from one curriculum that you have no control over. With home schooling, you may choose the curriculum that you feel is best for your child. You may also, if you choose, use several curriculums. This is great if one company has a great mathematics curriculum but a poor English curriculum. (Or any number of other reasons)

I’m sure there are more pros and cons, but these are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Ethereal,

Great post! Your first-hand experience was very informative.

My problem with homeschooling is What if the parents are racist and does not their children expose to blacks, Hispanics, Asians and/or a person is different from them (has a hearing loss, uses a wheelchair, etc)? What if a person who ishomeschooled need to work with a person who is different but they never been exposed to people who are different?

That just goes back to the fact that only certain people should home school. Not every parent should home school and you're always going to have those psycho parents. However, that doesn't mean home schooling itself is bad or should be outlawed.

Almost anything in life can be a bad thing if the wrong people are involved. Does that mean we should make everyone stay in their homes for eternity? Or maybe we should just kill everyone off? Then there wouldn't be any problems, right?

Sorry, I kinda went overboard there.....

SJCSue said:
My problem with homeschooling is What if the parents are racist and does not their children expose to blacks, Hispanics, Asians and/or a person is different from them (has a hearing loss, uses a wheelchair, etc)? What if a person who ishomeschooled need to work with a person who is different but they never been exposed to people who are different?
"White" families are not the only ones who homeschool. Black, Hispanic and Asian families homeschool also.

Homeschool kids do not spend 24/7 in their houses. They play with neighbor kids, go to church, play on sport teams, go to the beach and parks, work part-time jobs, etc. They meet plenty of different kids.

Attending public school doesn't guarantee diversity. I attended public school for 13 years, in several different states, and I never saw another student in a wheelchair, or Deaf, or blind.

How do you think black people learned to read and write in the slavery days?

Wow so I'm new on here, but I came across this topic and it sparked my interest. Why? Well because I myself am a homeschool student. I've read alot of your posts and stuff and its interesting. Most of you of course are parents, atleast from what I have read.

I just wanted to share my opinion on homeschooling as well. I started when I was in the 5th grade. I wasn't a trouble maker or anything like that. I was a good student who made A's and was in the Talented and Gifted program(TAG). My mom didn't want to "isolate" me or my siblings from the world. My mom was actually a teacher in the public school system. And my oldest sister acutally graduated from public school. But like someone else said your mom is your first teacher. She got the idea from my Aunt and Uncle who homeschooled their children through highschool. One of their reasons was why send your kid to school for 7 hours and then they come home with 4 hours of homework, what are they really teaching them in school? Well believe it or not I hated homeschool at first. But I'm glad now for the education I have recieved. My parents did a wonderful job. We have a big social life, so all that stuff about kids not being exposed to the world is not true. My younger sister and I have a ton of friends and we have been exposed to everything that goes on in Public School. And that stuff about your kid only wanting to hang on you and knowing the Einstien theory but not being able to say hi is also not true. I know plenty of homeschoolers and most of them have WAY better social skills than PS kids and believe me the last thing you want to do is be attached to your parent homeschooled or not. There are people who use homeschooling as a way out and thats the way most people see all homeschooled families, but thats just not true my family wasn't trying to find a way out they just wanted a more effective way to educate their children. And you may see those "homeschooling as a way out" people as wrong and so do we! They give homeschoolers a bad name. Our reason for homeschooling also didn't have a religious factor. My parents are christians and all but that had nothing to do with it. I am Agnostic and used to be an Atheist and they never tried to force the whole "Christian belief" on me.

Now I am a 12th grader and will be graduating with my senior class June 2006 in a real ceremony and recieving a real diploma. I'm currently dual enrolled at a local college until next fall. In homeschool I averaged all A's and B's and don't say thats because of my parents grading my work because my college grades reflect my high school grades all A's and B's. When I was in 9th grade and took the Standarized tests required by the state for homeschoolers I scored Post High School level on almost everything and the few things I didn't I scored 11th and 12th grade. And every year since then I have scored that well. My younger sister is a 10th grader and on her 9th grade Tests she scored Post High School on EVERY subject. You know why? Because homeschoolers aren't restricted on their work. They go as fast or as slow as they want. In public school they hold you back and make you wait on the rest of the class to catch up with you. In my opinion when a child can succeed let them go for it don't hold them back. Why stop their potential so other kids can "catch up"? Next fall I'll go to a state University where I plan on majoring in Biology, after that I plan on going to graduate school and getting my masters in Forensic Science. My younger sister well she wants to become a psychiatrist or a teacher for the deaf and blind. But of course she is only a 10th grader their plans change ;).

Well I hoped this opened you up a little bit into the world of an actual homeschooler. I have an English paper due next week for my college work. It's a persuasion essay on homeschooling. That is why I found this website. And I think all of you have awesome arguments and I hope you don't mind me using some of them in my essay. I'm shooting for my 4th A paper ;).

Good luck!

BTW, I'm pasting this in from another thread because I think it belongs here:

Homeschooling is not inherently bad.

I do think there needs to be some oversight from the county in terms of children's curriculums and how they're doing on standardized tests...but not much more than that. I know that probably not all parents should be homeschooling their children--but let me tell you how seriously I would take it, if I choose that option. Even when I first find out I am pregnant, I will start studying the curriculum and materials so that I am as proficient in them as I can be. I believe I have the academic background to do this--I would NOT take on the responsibility if I believed there was any chance I would shortchange my child. And, if (for instance) by the time of high school, I find I can no longer teach all of the subjects adequately, I would certainly put my child into a public or private school. NOT all home-school parents are unreasonable, mentally/intellectually unfit crazies.

Do you think it would be feasible--or even morally right--to place Social Services in the home of every child that's being homeschooled? What that does is automatically assume without probable cause that any child being homeschooled is being abused. It judges the parents without any evidence against them, and the vast majority likely do not abuse their children in any way.

Sheltering the kids too much is certainly a risk--but I think that if the parents are reasonable, this need not be the case. Horrible things happen to public and private school children, too.

Eries, thank you for share your wonderful story here. :thumb: You are very lucky to have a mother who have teacher skill.

I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but I just found it on a search engine while doing a search for homeschooling in Germany for a story I am writing.

I was homeschooled all the way through, and my older sisters were also homeschooled. My oldest sister was a National Merit Scholarship Semi-Finalist and my next sister was a National Merit Scholarship Commended Student. I am currently going to college to get my sign language interpreter's licence.

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that they believed homeschool students had trouble socializing, especially with adults because their parents were the only adults they had contact with. As I was growing up I got comment after comment from dentists, doctors, grocery store clerks, ect, saying that homeschoolers were nearly the only children who would look them in the eye and speak clearly and politely. Many of the public school children would only look down or look to their parents when asked a question.

Public school children spend most all of their day with other children their own age. They learn to interact with that age, and many times, that age only. Growing up I had friends not only my own age, but all the ages from toddlers to 85.

Most colleges are eager to accept homeschool grauates because they are known for having a good, firm education, as well as being self-learners.

It is true that there are bad homeschoolers. There are ones who only teach religion, or teach not much at all. But the vast majority of homeschool families are doing a good job and raising children who are well rounded adults.

Thanks for listening! :)

Amy

How interesting. I am kind of surprised to read your comments. I knew that most homeschooling teachers are Christians. Actually, I am pretty sure that they did a good job, and even better than in private school. I feel a little disappointed that some teachers "force" their children to study in religious to bring up against a lot of things that they should have respected other families. I did not want to bring it up because of the controversy. I would rather to be in homeschooling because I believe that it gives you a better education without limited time. I am wondering about one thing - do they allow them to use a computer online?

It´s my opinion because I dont have skill like what teachers have. I do only is support my children with homework etc.
Precisely! MOST parents aren't trained to teach. Yes, homeschoolers do well, but that's due to one on one attention, NOT the fact that it's better then government schools.

webexplorer said:
I knew that most homeschooling teachers are Christians.
Yes, the majority of homeschoolers are Christians. But more and more non-Christians are beginning to homeschool now because they see that the children receive a better education. I am a Christian and I really enjoyed being able to learn both creation and evolution in my science text books and reading some Christian history, ect.

webexplorer said:
I am wondering about one thing - do they allow them to use a computer online?
That would depend on the parent, just like for public school children. But I believe the majority of homeschoolers use the internet. It can be very helpful for doing research for school assignments, as well as email to keep in touch with friends. ;)

Amy

Last week I came upon an interesting case involving home schooling and the client complained he couldnt play in the water polo team of the high school he lives close to. He claimed discrimination because of his hearing impairment as he has seen other home schooled deaf people play in high school sports in the past.

I contacted the California Interscholastic Federation known as "CIF" at their Los Aamitos office. They told me that a new law started in 2006 permits schools to exclude homeschooled people from playing in competive sports. They directed me to Article 305 of the bylaws.

305. HOME STUDY, HOME SCHOOLING

Students who are not enrolled in programs under the jurisdiction of a member school’s governing body are not eligible to participate in CIF competition. Such programs would include, but not be limited to, home schooling or home study wherein parents, or other persons, are responsible for instruction and evaluation.

They went on to tell me home schooling programs usually dont have a 3rd party evaluating the student's progress thus making them ineligible for CIF sports participation.

Richard

Hi! I recently have been doing a lot of research on homeschooling for a couple of college speeches I had to do. One of the big concerns you all have mentioned is socialization. Several people here mentioned that they have homeschool friends who can't communicate with adults well, and who don't have many friends.

That is the exception. Extensive research has been done on both younger homeschool kids and adult homeschool graduates. These studies show that homeschool kids actually have MORE social skills than most public and private schooled kids. They tend to be more involved than mainstreamed kids are in other activities outside of school and in volunteer activities.

Most colleges are thrilled to accept homeschoolers because they know the kids know how to study on their own, have a strong education, and have good social skills.

For a kid in mainstream school, they spend all day with other kids their same age. They only interact with other kids their age, and a few adults. On the other hand, a homeschooled kid is surrounded by siblings of all ages when they are home, and when they are in other activities there are also people of all ages around. In the real world, after one has graduated they hardly ever are in a situation where everyone is the same age. How do public school kids learn to interact with people of all ages?

Another concern that was raised is about a parent's skills or education. Interestingly, many research studies have shown that a parent's level of education, whether they have a college degree or only high school, does not affect the child's grades--homeschool kids tend to have higher grades no matter what their parent's education was.

You can find a lot of this research information at this website: HSLDA | Home School Research

Last week I came upon an interesting case involving home schooling and the client complained he couldnt play in the water polo team of the high school he lives close to. He claimed discrimination because of his hearing impairment as he has seen other home schooled deaf people play in high school sports in the past.
I've never heard of a school having a rule like that. Wow. That family might want to try contacting the Homeschool Legal Defence Association. You can find their info at www.hslda.org

I contacted the California Interscholastic Federation known as "CIF" at their Los Aamitos office. They told me that a new law started in 2006 permits schools to exclude homeschooled people from playing in competive sports. They directed me to Article 305 of the bylaws.

305. HOME STUDY, HOME SCHOOLING

Students who are not enrolled in programs under the jurisdiction of a member school’s governing body are not eligible to participate in CIF competition. Such programs would include, but not be limited to, home schooling or home study wherein parents, or other persons, are responsible for instruction and evaluation.

They went on to tell me home schooling programs usually dont have a 3rd party evaluating the student's progress thus making them ineligible for CIF sports participation.

Richard
I agree with that bylaw. I don't think it's fair for students who are paying for school, having their work reviewed by the school, etc... and try for teams while those who are homeschooled don't deal with those things.

It's more of a privilege than a right.

I agree with that bylaw. I don't think it's fair for students who are paying for school, having their work reviewed by the school, etc... and try for teams while those who are homeschooled don't deal with those things.

It's more of a privilege than a right.
We all have to pay for the public schools--with our taxes. Those who have no children and those who homeschool their kids have to pay for public schools just the same as those who have kids in the school.

My son had one year of home schooling and I must say, there are cons and pros about this.
How did my son feel about it? He hated missing out on the socialization and school functions like plays, basketball, the musical band and so on.

Back