Home Security System services for deaf?

Lily7

Reaction score
I want to get a home security system for my house. The real kind, that sends alarms to a company and sends the police out when it's triggered.

The only thing is with those kinds of alarms you need to be able to communicate with the alarm company for false alarms or accidental triggers. Most of the time this is done by phone.

I've looked around at local companies but none of them offer a solution for me since I can't use a phone the way most hearing people do. None of them seem to have a TTY line or even a way to text them.

Does anyone know of any companies that I could get security services from that offer alternative means of communication for deaf people? Or does anyone know of any special accommodations that the local companies could make for me if I request it? What have those of you that are deaf with home security systems done?

I want to get a home security system for my house. The real kind, that sends alarms to a company and sends the police out when it's triggered.

The only thing is with those kinds of alarms you need to be able to communicate with the alarm company for false alarms or accidental triggers. Most of the time this is done by phone.

I've looked around at local companies but none of them offer a solution for me since I can't use a phone the way most hearing people do. None of them seem to have a TTY line or even a way to text them.

Does anyone know of any companies that I could get security services from that offer alternative means of communication for deaf people? Or does anyone know of any special accommodations that the local companies could make for me if I request it? What have those of you that are deaf with home security systems done?

Did you try ADT security company? You might want to talk with their manager what they can do for deafie.

Just penny of thought

Catty

Do you have VRS? For example Sorenson VRS® , that way you can call them if there is false alarm.

This applies to only USA, and I assume your from Oklahoma.

Did you try ADT security company? You might want to talk with their manager what they can do for deafie.

Just penny of thought

Catty

Yes, that what I have, ADT do provide strobe light for alarm and I just simply gave them my VP numbers, I have no issue at all with that.

my current home security system is Remington. no false alarm. no security breach. nothing.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Dogs. Great companionship, too.

Same here, my dogs going crazy whenever somebody comes in my house. Most burglars hates dogs with passion, usually they skip house when they notice dogs presence.

I don't have security system. I planned to have security cameras that have firmware motion detector like X10 system. I would use Airsoft machine gun or Paintball machine gun to shoot anyone breaking into my house.. Its better than held liable for killing a person with real guns.

I have two cats but it'll zip and hide in a weird behavior. If I am with my cat, I can very easily tell that my cats are detecting strangers. It'll stare directly with it's eye dialated like a hawk and stands up arching. My Tabby will pouf it's tail thick and hard :giggle: . I would want Chihuahua that my cats would feel better to play with it (My cats love dogs and not afraid of it) in that way it'll yap like crazy :lol:

My only weapon I have now is 2 1/2 inches diameter 4 lbs lead balls and big 1 1/2 inches bearing balls (came from Semi tractor trailer) which is enough to break anyone bones or badly injure them if I throw hard.

I do have several dogs and they help, but the thing is if they are barking at the door in the other room and I am in bed asleep I'm not going to know it. Should the burglars choose to break in anyway rather than running away, the dogs do me little good, especially if they just end up shooting my dogs. I'd rather have a security system in place that will call the police for me so at least if that does happen there's a better chance of them being caught before they hurt the dogs or me.

Anyway, yes I did talk to ADT, and they didn't have any answers for me. The problem is I am not fluent enough in sign yet to really use VP. I no longer have an old school TTY. I guess I could use Captel with them, but the complication with that is that it is still a really slow way to communicate and the police could get on their way to the house before I can tell them it's a false alarm. Especially since it takes a few minutes to get my computer up and running and open the captel site. And what about if captel goes down or my internet goes down? Not to mention usually they have to be the ones to call you rather than you calling them, at least that is how it was explained to me. And of course, they can't really call me via captel. I'd really rather not rely on that.

I wish ADT could use text messaging with me or something. :( Gah, I don't know what to do.

If you are able to talk though VCO like captel, how about give www.captioncall.com a try? It does not require computer and it is stand alone telephone set with screen that shows caption when other party talks to you, and you response naturally though your voice.

DHB

I do have several dogs and they help, but the thing is if they are barking at the door in the other room and I am in bed asleep I'm not going to know it. Should the burglars choose to break in anyway rather than running away, the dogs do me little good, especially if they just end up shooting my dogs. I'd rather have a security system in place that will call the police for me so at least if that does happen there's a better chance of them being caught before they hurt the dogs or me.

Anyway, yes I did talk to ADT, and they didn't have any answers for me. The problem is I am not fluent enough in sign yet to really use VP. I no longer have an old school TTY. I guess I could use Captel with them, but the complication with that is that it is still a really slow way to communicate and the police could get on their way to the house before I can tell them it's a false alarm. Especially since it takes a few minutes to get my computer up and running and open the captel site. And what about if captel goes down or my internet goes down? Not to mention usually they have to be the ones to call you rather than you calling them, at least that is how it was explained to me. And of course, they can't really call me via captel. I'd really rather not rely on that.

I wish ADT could use text messaging with me or something. :( Gah, I don't know what to do.

Really, you don't have to worry about "slow way to communicate", since if you are unable to communicate with them, they will automatically send police, fire and ambulance right away while you still communicating ADT center. I had one false alarm (carbon monoxide) in the middle of the night, ADT sent all emergency depts over while I was sleeping! Some how what we believe that my dog (Great Dane!) must have knocked the carbon monoxide detector out using with something or his paw (since I saw his deflated soccer ball near by).

So, yes you can use CapTel with VCO, you can talk fast with ADT dept, but reading is little slower.

If they call you and you don't answer, the police would automatically be dispatched.

If they call you and you don't answer, the police would automatically be dispatched.

Really, you don't have to worry about "slow way to communicate", since if you are unable to communicate with them, they will automatically send police, fire and ambulance right away while you still communicating ADT center.

That is what I am trying to AVOID though. I don't want to have them coming out for false alarms so much that they start not responding as fast because they think it's just another false alarm when it might be real.

That is what I am trying to AVOID though. I don't want to have them coming out for false alarms so much that they start not responding as fast because they think it's just another false alarm when it might be real.

Well, you won't have to worry about that because by law, they have to show up if no one answered the phone. since you don't have an ideal communication system set up with ADT - it's still a better deal that cops show up at your place, false alarm or not than no one showing up at all.

How often do you think false alarms in the middle of the night would occur? If you put that into perspective, you dont have much to worry about.

The other possibility is to contact ADT and ask them to put a note in your file that you are deaf and to send text messages to your cell phone only.

I understand OP concern, some locals do give tickets for false alarm. That is something OP wants to avoid excessive false alarm.

I understand OP concern, some locals do give tickets for false alarm. That is something OP wants to avoid excessive false alarm.

They do. I think our area has a law where if you have more than 3 false alarms in a certain time period you start getting ticketed for each one after that, and they aren't cheap.

However, my mom has a security system also, and hers seems to give a false alarm every other month at least, and it's always when she's not at home to call the company and tell them "nevermind, it was a false alarm." So the cops have started taking their time to show up and one time they didn't show up at all. :roll:

Let me tell you this, it's ADT responsibility to provide proper tools for deaf people, in term of availability equipment for deaf, like strobe light and such. Available equipment to communicate with deaf people. And finally, it's ADT responsibility to have certain training how to communicate with deaf people.

When I first met ADT sale reps, I asked all those questions, there are some part where sale reps could not able to do this. I told them immediately that if they don't have complete access for the deaf, so obviously that ADT only concern saving lives of hearing people and not deaf people?? I told them there will be a lawsuit for it. So, they did work hard to provide equipment for it. I pointed out that sale reps should have training about what tools is good for deaf people. If you ever catch sale reps that don't know what to do, it's a full of bullsh*t. So if you get many false alarms, they should wavied false alarm fee because you are deaf. If they have a tools to communicate with you, then that will be a different story.

So, now I have both ADT system and freak'in large dog...

I can't say this for Marty!! A guy came up on the deck tonight and Marty did not move a muscle or bark! I when I got him I was hoping he be like Finlay was as Marty is part poodle. Marty is so laid back.

I don't need home security system. I use to Logitech Alert (security cameras)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo36Fwe2Og&feature=player_embedded]Video Security & 911 Call Thwart Home Burglary - YouTube[/ame]<--- dogs are useless and no bark alarm.
Logitech-Alert-750i-With-Stand.jpg

images
<--- your iphone or android or ipad can view security camera at home while you are away.

"May 2009 Customer Success Story Contest: First Place.

The WiLife System was one the best purchases I have made. It was very easy to set up and the customer support was great.

After being robbed last October, I continued having a feeling that someone was entering the house without my knowledge. So I set up the video surveillance system to help figure out what was going on. Then on Wednesday April 8th, I had a strange feeling there was a problem at my house. I logged onto the live streaming feature and there was a man standing in my living room attempting to rob me again! I called 911 from 30 miles away and the police were at my home in literally 4 minutes. They had my whole house surrounded. The criminals did not get away with anything other than the cheese they ate from my refrigerator.

It was a very strange feeling watching my house being robbed and feeling helpless. But in the end, due to this system, they were unable to steal from me again and went straight to jail.

I would recommend this system to anyone who does not want to spend an arm and a leg trying to protect the things they have worked so hard for.

Thanks!
J. Thomas"

Back