Home Renovation/Construction

If you're happy, I'm happy. I prefer the taller toilets because with my bad knees it is sooooo much easier to get up and down from the seat, especially in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.

I like our slow-closing toilet seats because they require only a slight tap to close (don't need to hold on to them).
My parents have those seats too, so did I... Thy are a bad habit too , arent they? When you go to a friend or family and "SLAM" lol you forget they dont have them...lol

Ive added a second handrail to my parents house, but my cow of a sister and her kids tear up everything, ripped the anchors out of the wall with the handrails several times. Since my parents cant get up and down the stairs very well anymore, I installed a toilet at the top of the basement stairs so they only have to go upstairs for a shower. They moved their bedroom to the first floor since they no longer host holidays and converted the dining room into their master bedroom.

My parents have those seats too, so did I... Thy are a bad habit too , arent they? When you go to a friend or family and "SLAM" lol you forget they dont have them...lol
Yes, I've done that. :giggle:

The rest of the world just needs to get with the program. :lol:

Ive added a second handrail to my parents house, but my cow of a sister and her kids tear up everything, ripped the anchors out of the wall with the handrails several times. Since my parents cant get up and down the stairs very well anymore, I installed a toilet at the top of the basement stairs so they only have to go upstairs for a shower. They moved their bedroom to the first floor since they no longer host holidays and converted the dining room into their master bedroom.

WOW what in the world are they doing if the rail supports are anchored into studs?

Have you considered the steps in the house you are looking at buying? I got the impression that you hope to stay there as long as you can live independently.

That's a shame that your sister's family don't have more respect for your parents. :( (Well, wait until she gets old . . . )

My son-in-law also had a second rail added to his stairwell on their new house because he wants to be able to safely use the stairs if he's not wearing his leg prostheses. So, it's not just a good idea for old people. In fact, I think it would be a good idea for all houses.

Jane, I anchored the rail in with metal anchors into brick... my sis weighs Id say 400 pounds, one of her sons is a big boy too but he has moved out. The other is still in school.... none of them fixes anything.
There is only a few steps up or down in the house I am looking at, its a split foyer style ranch house with 2 and 1/2 baths so Im fine on either floor...lol
My parents are leaving the house to me when they either pass or go into a

my parents always bought expensive Wool carpet. No carpets on stairs, slip/fall hazards.

Unfortunately, my skin is sensitive to wool so latest generation of nylon is option for me. I have limited visual field and balance issue so thicker carpets prevent me from getting injury (like bruise and broken limbs) that where I tripped and fell down sometime. The carpet on stairs need to be installed properly or they can slipped down - some carpet installers are doing bad job but in my case, carpet installer did great job. There is problem with thicker carpet on stairs - make big vacuum more painful with more than 2-3 passes.

When we bought our house it was new and had builder-grade wall-to-wall carpeting on the stairs.

A few years ago, when we removed the old carpet, we first tried leaving carpet off the stairs. After two days of that I could hardly stand it. My knees were killing me. So, we tried a carpet runner on the stairs. It has a textured pattern that makes it non-skid, more suited for stairs than regular carpet. It helped but it still felt "hard." So, TCS took off the carpet, added a carpet pad to each tread, and then reinstalled the runner. Now it's just right. I can go up and down the stairs all day with no problem. Even with my Parkinson's I've never slipped.

(TCS also added a second matching handrail to our stairwell so that I have one on each side.)

Yes, I noticed elderly have difficult to use the stairs and that why my grandma bought a house with no stairs. I think that you know that I have balance issue that where tripping and falling down are common so that why I prefer thicker carpet (over 60 oz) to prevent the injury but I know that vacuum can be painful.

Next time, I think about pick more denser or find a house without stair so I don't have to vacuum often.

Even when we had the old toilet it never overflowed. If it was clogged we'd just wait and flush again. If it looked like it might overflow we just turned off the toilet intake.

that's the thing... I think a lot of people panic and probably keep pressing down the toilet lever.... and pray that the water will stop rising right at the top.

Even when we had the old toilet it never overflowed. If it was clogged we'd just wait and flush again. If it looked like it might overflow we just turned off the toilet intake.

that's the thing... I think a lot of people panic and probably keep pressing down the toilet lever.... and pray that the water will stop rising right at the top.

That works if you are there. It was a long time ago but I had one go over when the water kept going in. I hit the flush lever, washed hands and left. I came back from a meeting to a real flood when it did not shut off! No permanent damage and not as messy as it could have been as everything went down the water just continued to run.

That works if you are there. It was a long time ago but I had one go over when the water kept going in. I hit the flush lever, washed hands and left. I came back from a meeting to a real flood when it did not shut off! No permanent damage and not as messy as it could have been as everything went down the water just continued to run.
I'm not understanding the scene. I know you say "a real flood" but you also say "everything went down the water just continued to run." Does that mean the water filled and overflowed the bowl onto the floor, or that it just continually filled and drained?

I don't leave the house until the toilet stops running completely.

Jiro, if you want to go all out, there are heated, night-lighted, and remote-controlled toilets. I don't have any of those features on mine but I have used ones with heated seats. It's not a necessity but it was kind of nice. :)

(p.s. It was in the ladies room of our local indoor gun range.)

I'm not understanding the scene. I know you say "a real flood" but you also say "everything went down the water just continued to run." Does that mean the water filled and overflowed the bowl onto the floor, or that it just continually filled and drained?

Yeah, it sound confusing to me too.

As I remember it, what I had done went down and then it continued to fill to the point of overfilling. It was one of those times when I was already late and rushed out. The small bathroom had "kitchen" carpet in it and it was soaked to the point of squishy puddles. This was probably back in the 1990's; I don't remember the exact date.

Well this thread turned into "toilet 101",hmmmm, everything I ever wanted to know about "toidies"! :lol:

Jiro, if you want to go all out, there are heated, night-lighted, and remote-controlled toilets. I don't have any of those features on mine but I have used ones with heated seats. It's not a necessity but it was kind of nice. :)

(p.s. It was in the ladies room of our local indoor gun range.)
Heated seats... no more fumbling with figuring out which belly button is which.

I love this:
velux-commercial-skylights.jpg

If I ever will build my own home, I want this!

In my existing home I have 1 skylight. it really does lighten the room, and I plan to add another sometime.

Fuzzy

As I remember it, what I had done went down and then it continued to fill to the point of overfilling. It was one of those times when I was already late and rushed out.
Ah, now I got it. Thanks. :)

The small bathroom had "kitchen" carpet in it and it was soaked to the point of squishy puddles. This was probably back in the 1990's; I don't remember the exact date.
No carpeting in bathrooms or kitchens for me.

I'm sure that won't fit into Jiro's clean, simple design either. :giggle:

Ah, now I got it. Thanks. :)

No carpeting in bathrooms or kitchens for me.

I'm sure that won't fit into Jiro's clean, simple design either. :giggle:

I believe that people put carpet in kitchen and bathroom in 1970s, is it true?

It will be extremely disgusting. :barf:

Not in any homes that I lived in. No way.

TCS's mom and sister had carpet in their kitchens in MI. :eek3:

I remember some condos and mobil homes had carpet in bathrooms back in the 70's... but I havent incountered any homes recently... today most have vinyl or ceramic tiles.

Back