Home Renovation/Construction

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey all! :wave:

This thread is about home renovation/construction. Our AD-version of HGTV :)

Feel free to share what you've done to your home or what you plan to do or what you've heard about. Post up the pix as well!

in my future home - I'd like to have heated floor for bathroom and living room. I just saw this video and it looks fascinating. anyone has heated floor?

I'm planning on moving in maybe a year or so, what's holding me back is just the money. The money is for renovations such as new carpet, new AC, new patio door, etc...

in my future home - I'd like to have heated floor for bathroom and living room. I just saw this video and it looks fascinating. anyone has heated floor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQaBW5ZSg4s

My previous home that I had built had a heated master bath floor. We built our current home a year ago, but we skipped the heated bath floors this time. It died out in the previous home in about 7 years, and there's no way to repair it short of jacking up all the tiles.

EDIT: Our new current master bathroom has vinyl flooring that looks like wood, and that in itself is warm. So I don't miss the heated floors at all, but for you, Jiro, you would like it if you have tiled bath floors like I did.

My previous home that I had built had a heated master bath floor. We built our current home a year ago, but we skipped the heated bath floors this time. It died out in the previous home in about 7 years, and there's no way to repair it short of jacking up all the tiles.

EDIT: Our new current master bathroom has vinyl flooring that looks like wood, and that in itself is warm. So I don't miss the heated floors at all, but for you, Jiro, you would like it if you have tiled bath floors like I did.

that's what I was concerned about. I knew it would last for several years and it would be a major expensive hassle to replace/repair it.

my grandma had an old fashioned traditional house in Korea and they heated their floor with a big cylinder-shaped charcoal. you put it into a hole in the ground outside.

burned-charcoal-briquettes.jpg

ondol1.gif

I know they must have changed since the 1970's but a couple of my aunts shared an apartment in Tulsa in the mid '70's. When I visited them they cautioned me about setting it too high. It was just in the bathroom. They said you could easily get it to where it was hot to step on especially barefooted coming out after taking a shower or bath. I don't remember for sure but think it was electric.

Most recently TCS replaced most of our downstairs carpet and tile with oak flooring. Other past reno's were replacing vinyl flooring with ceramic tile, wainscoting, chair rails, crown molding, wallpaper, tiling a walk-in shower, tiling kitchen backsplash, refinishing kitchen cabinets, installing a toilet, installing plantation shutters on about 20 windows, replacing sliding doors, painting, scraping popcorn ceilings and painting, replacing kitchen and bathroom sinks, converting single vanity to double, installing ceiling pot lights and speakers, adding a coat closet, installing garage door opener, installing wood stove, creating a beaded board/beamed ceiling, making a wall of built-in bookcases for home office, adding a pot filler in the kitchen, and changed our heat pump thermostat to programable.

Outside, he built a multi-level deck, a storage shed (looks like a cottage), raised garden boxes, wooden privacy fence (twice), covered utility area at back of house, and total relandscaping/hardscaping of front yard (pavers for sidewalks, driveway extension and courtyard with fountain). He built horse shoe pits out back.

On our previous house he re-shingled the roof but on our current two-story house we had it professionally done with architectural shingles. We recently had all our windows upgraded with more efficient ones (not a DIY job).

We will soon be getting our entire house re-plumbed. Not a DIY job.

I've probably forgotten something.

Oh, yeah. This spring we hope to screen in part of the deck out back.

That's a good idea for tiled floors.

In one of our houses, there were heat lamps in the bathroom ceilings. Those were nice.

In one of our houses, there were heat lamps in the bathroom ceilings. Those were nice.

the one with red light? that's not for heating. that's to dry yourself out after shower. I had one in my previous home. I rarely used it. I thought it would contribute to skin cancer :lol:

My buddy just did an entire rehab to his house, all top of the line crap.... EXPENSIVE !!!!! the entire inside is stone, granite, Marble... you name it, if it was expensive they got it. Even went geothermal for heating and cooling. The ground supplies the heating and cooling with water, it also runs through PEX tubing under the floors for heating the floors

that's what I was concerned about. I knew it would last for several years and it would be a major expensive hassle to replace/repair it.

my grandma had an old fashioned traditional house in Korea and they heated their floor with a big cylinder-shaped charcoal. you put it into a hole in the ground outside.

burned-charcoal-briquettes.jpg

ondol1.gif
That would be dangerous if there was a leak inside from a crack...

I have to repair one of door hinge that came off due to weaken drill area of wood frame.

Back