HOH vs. Deaf--which do I sign?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if I were to introduce myself in asl, would I sign hearing or deaf, since I can hear some, but not all? I have a moderately severe to severe loss if it makes a difference.

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if I were to introduce myself in asl, would I sign hearing or deaf, since I can hear some, but not all? I have a moderately severe to severe loss if it makes a difference.

Hi. If it me I would say "Hello, I have bad hearing" or "very bad hearing"

It all depends on how you identify yourself. I am also HOH.. I see my self as an HOH person that loves being with deaf people and hearing people.

Being with good friends is what counts.

I guess a lot would say hard of hearing, but I remember today I noticed a guy I knew who I thought was like lately deafened since he signed so well. Who actually had a hearing aid in, of coarse this shows my attention to detail in talking with people. I normally just see the eyes the face and mouth really and no real other details. I suppose I would say hard of hearing, but I suppose if you feel or know your hearing is really bad I would say severely hard of hearing to be accurate. Than again that's somewhat perception, you would know that answer best.

I tell people I am Deaf.

No need for odd encounters where a new yorker is standing besides your head and screaming in it while you endure his saliva being spewed into your ear canals.

Just saying..

I generally sign "deaf-blind" and then specify that I'm blind, hard of hearing.

I can hear some but I tell people I am deaf. I just keep it simple.

I always say I'm deaf especially to deaf ppl becuz they can't hear my voice anyway.

I am really severe HOH, but some people treat me as hearing that lead to too many frustrations. So I just refer myself deaf. I really am deaf without my hearing aids. can't hear a thing especially long distance. it take a jet close to my ears for me to hear without my hearing aids.

I am deaf by definition, and I can't understand speech, but it seems more honest in a Deaf group to sign HH as I can hear sounds with hearing aids.

But I did have an ASL teacher lecturing me that I need to say "Deaf" because I can
't hear and need signs in a group. :shrug:

But I did have an ASL teacher lecturing me that I need to say "Deaf" because I can
't hear and need signs in a group. :shrug:

No one should tell you whether to sign "Deaf" or "HOH," that's your choice. You know your hearing best.

you should sign whatever you feel more comfy signing and how u usually recognize urself as if you think you are hoh then say hoh if deaf sign for deaf :)

Sign whatever you want or however you identify yourself. I'm severe to severe-profound and when i meet people who sign i usually sign "deafened" <pause> "HH", with hearing people I usually say that I am HOH because i can generally understand their speech. Lately though I am more inclined to say to hearing people that I am deafened.
*EQL*

I sign "deaf" just because I don't need to explain people what HoH means. [I'm lazy, sorry lol]

I suppose I might sign deaf now, considering speech is so difficult for me to understand now without lipreading. I just wish I had the time to learn to sign, and that the classes nearby weren't so expensive!

I suppose I might sign deaf now, considering speech is so difficult for me to understand now without lipreading. I just wish I had the time to learn to sign, and that the classes nearby weren't so expensive!

If time and money are stopping you, why not start with learning some signs from online sites and practicing with AD members over Skype or VRS relay?

I tell people that I am deaf. But then they think I cannot hear a thing which is not true since I have a CI, so I could say I'm deaf-I have a cochlear implant.

Back