Hoh mum, hearing kids

@Destiny's Sister teenagers are a hard crowd also, maybe if they like comedy, introduce then to ASL and Deaf culture with funny things. Like for example Keith wann's comedy video's on youtube.

Often they are also captioned or voice over so both in ASL and English it's accessible. Some Coda experiences may also have your kid's wanting to connect to others who understand that :)

What is wrong with saying that? It is natural for someone with hearing loss. I and many other people with hearing loss do the same.

If your oldest child cannot tolerate and understand that, you cannot tell that he/she is "the most tolerant person you know".
You need to be more stern with them, there is no point to live in hell. Families are not supposed to be that way.
Glad to hear others do this. I always thought it annoyed the heck out of people! Absolutely, we are not meant to live in a war zone, especially when it's your own family. I'm trying to find that middle ground between tolerating rude behaviour and blowing my top. I'm told teenagers have no frontal lobes (ie: emotion regulation). I fear I don't have one either. All I have going for me is my adult intellect trying to beat some sense into my (and their) teenage frontal lobes.

Last edited:
@Destiny's Sister teenagers are a hard crowd also, maybe if they like comedy, introduce then to ASL and Deaf culture with funny things. Like for example Keith wann's comedy video's on youtube.

Often they are also captioned or voice over so both in ASL and English it's accessible. Some Coda experiences may also have your kid's wanting to connect to others who understand that :)
Thanks. Sounds like it might be fun!

Hmm, I cannot help but wonder what kind of hearing aids you are using. Your comprehension goes way down with Naida's if those tiny replaceable microphone covers get clogged. I have found that smoke even cooking smoke clogs them. A lot of us have some degree of word comprehension difficulty no matter how good the ha's. Those covers usually get dirty gradually. When the huh what's increase to the point of irritation of family they are ready to change.

Hmm, I cannot help but wonder what kind of hearing aids you are using. Your comprehension goes way down with Naida's if those tiny replaceable microphone covers get clogged. I have found that smoke even cooking smoke clogs them. A lot of us have some degree of word comprehension difficulty no matter how good the ha's. Those covers usually get dirty gradually. When the huh what's increase to the point of irritation of family they are ready to change.
I have phonaks with the tube that goes from the in-ear piece to the behind the ear piece. The tips have the little white replaceable filters in them. I'm trying to pay more attention to whether or not it helps after I change them. It's hard to control all the variables. So far, it's imperceptible. The only thing that seems to change is my level of anxiety around white noise. Some malls are just unbearable for me and I have to take them out. In a couple of places my hearing aids just cut out completely on their own. The lobby at one particular movie theatre did it a couple of times. I think there must be some weird electronic interference in there or something.

It really helps to go to a local audiologist or Costco to get your ha's cleaned etc. usually they do this at no cost to you.
There are huge differences in sound quality that happen just with the ear molds and tubes.
Some tubes(the piece between the mold and aid) are moisture attractors on the inside. So frustrating to get stuck with them. There will be a small blob of moisture in them every day no matter what you do. That moisture in the tube blocks the sound. There are brands of tubes that don't do that.
Regular use of a hearing aid dryer like Costco sells keeps your electronics dry and has a antibacterial blue light in them. Well worth the money at around $35.
The phonak Nadia's on the piece behind the ear have Mike covers above the sound choice button. They have a kit at the audi's you can buy for changing them yourself.

It really helps to go to a local audiologist or Costco to get your ha's cleaned etc. usually they do this at no cost to you.
There are huge differences in sound quality that happen just with the ear molds and tubes.
Some tubes(the piece between the mold and aid) are moisture attractors on the inside. So frustrating to get stuck with them. There will be a small blob of moisture in them every day no matter what you do. That moisture in the tube blocks the sound. There are brands of tubes that don't do that.
Regular use of a hearing aid dryer like Costco sells keeps your electronics dry and has a antibacterial blue light in them. Well worth the money at around $35.
The phonak Nadia's on the piece behind the ear have Mike covers above the sound choice button. They have a kit at the audi's you can buy for changing them yourself.
Sounds like I need to get educated on this stuff. I'm starting a list of things to ask the audiologist. Unfortunately they stick to brands that give them volume discounts. I suspect that is a common practise and probably results in Audiologists knowing less about all the available options than their clients.

I learn new stuff about my ha's whether I want to or not. I have found the digitals change their own adjustments in odd mostly minor ways. I don't take them out and lay them right next to the turned on cell phone except by mistake. There are lots of strange beams and waves about now. Who really knows what they do?
The programs the hearing aids use have millions of variables to them among the several options. I found that some brought in too much sound and made differentiating talking sounds too difficult.
Pretty awesome really considering that without the hearing aids I can be six feet away from a crowing rooster and not hear a sound.
To try and communicate verbally the actual qualities and so on of sound may be easy for some but for me its a struggle... practice helps but so does having a simpatico technician when getting these modern marvels dialed in to your individual needs.

To try and communicate verbally the actual qualities and so on of sound may be easy for some but for me its a struggle... practice helps but so does having a simpatico technician when getting these modern marvels dialed in to your individual needs.
Yes, I think a good audiologist/technician is very important. I get quite skeptical when I hear 'Really? You're the only one that's ever happened to.' I fear it's because most of their customers either accept mediocre results or take them out and throw them in a drawer, never to be used again (I hear this last one most often among the older HOH clients...very sad.). I'm not sure if my audiologist is good or not. I don't think they have a very broad customer base. They certainly don't seem to have many clients under 75, or who are smartphone literate. I suspect those who are HOH due to age have different issues than those who are younger and have struggled longer. Also, its not like they have to support themselves. It's kinda important that if you're giving a seminar to a bunch of clients and somebody asks a question, you can ACTUALLY HEAR IT. Rather embarrassing standing up there asking them to repeat themselves umpteen times.

I love my audiologist. I'm 46 so I definitely fall in the younger category (been deaf all my life.) She is so kind to me and never makes me feel belittled. She, unfortunately, is quite a bit older so I am going to hate it when she retires. I think the reason she is so good is because she acknowledges just how deaf I am, which is really deaf!

I type on phone or tablet if my signs are not understood. I use sign language but our family is not fluent. One brother knows asl.
When communicating I have a hard time understanding language. I'm looking cochlear implant, I have hearing aides but they don't seem to work well. Everyone in family has hearing issues.

Back