HOH at college

nickysunflower

Reaction score
I was wondering what things will be like going to college next year. How much am I going to miss the the professor is saying? Am I allowed to record the class? I am 38, and haven't been in school for a long time. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank AD!

I'm not an expert but I would think understanding would depend on the room acoustics, class size, and the professor teaching and his techniques.

But for the recording part, unless you get a special pass or accommodation, is completely up to the professor. I've had ones who had no problem and those that would ban you from class.

I would ask to college and the professors themselves as well and depending on circumstances asking for what you need for accommodations .
I can stick with smaller class and no to little accommodation but my cousin Angie needs an fm system or note taker for any class.

No matter hearing status, when it comes to college it is always a good idea to go early, ask lots of questions, and get to know your professors.

Talk to the school's disability office and see about getting set up with a CART reporter or interpreter.

If you use an FM system, see if you can meet the professors ahead of time to introduce yourself and explain the system. Some hearing people get intimidated by it if its the first time they have seen one. It's better to explain it to people ahead of time, instead of just meeting them for the first time and handing it to them a minute before class starts. This is true for non-class room situations also.

I guess that is probably obvious to most people, but it wasn't for me. I had to learn the hard way.

I was hoh at U of Mich from 2001 to 2005. The disability office provided me with CART so I could follow along and a notetaker as it was still difficult to take notes. Feel free to ask for these things from your school. Also bring up your hearing with the professors, sometimes they will provide a printout of their lecture notes. Hope you have a nice time going back to school.

an FM system would help you there since I have one and it runs great!

BTW I own a Phonak FM unit so it has the peeling but it still runs like new :)

I went back when I was 25 and started with basic classes to get myself up to speed. You will probably miss things, but if you take good notes and pay attention there is no reason you can't get through it with just about honors or better. It's a lot of hard work, but you can do it.

P.S. Make sure you see the teacher after class and during his office hours to ask questions and make sure you are doing what you are supposed to do. You need to have good communication with your teachers.

Back